Edge/Nautilus production ending?

8 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Never could figure out why Ford never did a hybrid Edge like rumored years ago. Toyota just did a Venza hybrid that looks like a direct Edge competitor. Edge is very popular in Central Florida....most popular new Ford around here after F-Series.

If Ford hasn't offered an Edge Hybrid yet, there's a reason. Most likely due to future product plans whether part of a potential (?) next generation Edge or a replacement model that would also include a plug-in model. 

28 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Never could figure out why Ford never did a hybrid Edge like rumored years ago. Toyota just did a Venza hybrid that looks like a direct Edge competitor. Edge is very popular in Central Florida....most popular new Ford around here after F-Series.

I’m guessing the Fusion will cover that with the 2.5 hybrid that was introduced in the 2020 Escape.

57 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

cd4 wasn’t conducive to a hybrid due to battery placement.   I’m sure they were waiting for C2 or CD6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

For all the talk of CD4 being a better version of the EUCD platform, Ford never worked out

a way to store the hybrid batteries without eating into trunk space, I think that was the killer blow.

Looking ahead, maybe Ford sees it as more logical to make a hybrid Edge on the new BEV architecture,

it could be the important switchover that's needed to achieve more efficient manufacturing processes.

Just now, jpd80 said:

For all the talk of CD4 being a better version of the EUCD platform, Ford never worked out

a way to store the hybrid batteries without eating into trunk space, I think that was the killer blow.

Looking ahead, maybe Ford sees it as more logical to make a hybrid Edge on the new BEV architecture,

it could be the important switchover that's needed to achieve more efficient manufacturing processes.

Yes BUT they were able to keep a full pass through which most if not all other hybrid sedans lacked.  That was the big thing that won me over on my MKZ Hybrid to other sedans out there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Yes BUT they were able to keep a full pass through which most if not all other hybrid sedans lacked.  That was the big thing that won me over on my MKZ Hybrid to other sedans out there.

It goes back to CD4 prioritising the AWD pathway ahead of better battery storage position.

Battery in trunk Fusion hybrid may have been acceptable but an exposed battery like that in

a utility would probably cause a lot of buyer resistance

. I know that it's all guessing  but in any regard, Ford did not proceed with a hybrid Edge.

Years later, Ford opted for a 2.0 diesel instead for European markets which failed, I can

only imagine that was planned because again, a hybrid compromised cargo area.

Edited by jpd80

On 11/6/2020 at 8:42 PM, jpd80 said:

A C2 based Edge/Nautilus would have been nice but time is running out for new ICE based vehicles,

probably makes more sense to start with a BEV toolkit and maybe add a range extender ICE.

Is there any reason so far to believe that the second gen skateboard BEV chassis has any provision built into it for an ICE range extender?

5 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Is there any reason so far to believe that the second gen skateboard BEV chassis has any provision built into it for an ICE range extender?

None whatsoever, it was simply looking at a product envelope with a BEV base rather than ICE based.

A BEV with sufficient battery capacity does not need a range extender ICE and in the next few years,

a lot of people including me are going to realise that the battery range on newer BEVs is sufficient.

My first thought was right, that time has run out for an ICE based next gen Edge.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

None whatsoever, it was simply looking at a product envelope with a BEV base rather than ICE based.

A BEV with sufficient battery capacity does not need a range extender ICE and in the next few years,

a lot of people including me are going to realise that the battery range on newer BEVs is sufficient.

My first thought was right, that time has run out for an ICE based next gen Edge.

To be fair, if it were on a normal 6-year lifecycle, we'd have seen a new Edge for 2021, but at this point, yeah, I'd agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew L said:

Here is the teaser from Lincoln on Facebook.  Don't expect much from the outside.

lincoln1.png

I like how the part of the Nautilus teased has no changes from 2020MY, but there's still the qualifier, "Pre-production model shown."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

RHD Edge / Endura  is now toast because Europe no longer wants it and the MY21 updates won’t be adopted.

The Mondeo replacement should have RHD so I guess Ford Australia can still call it Endura if they want (what a terrible name BTW...)

But honestly, I feel like Ford Australia bet on the wrong horse... they should have asked for RHD Explorer instead. That car fits the Australia market much better. The business case might be tough (Aus and NZ and perhaps South Africa would be the only market for it... no ford Europe paying for the RHD interior for UK market) but much more upside than Endura. I'd put RHD Explorer in the same category as F-150 and maybe even Bronco... makes total sense for Australia just not enough volume to make it work. Ford's token presence in RHD markets other than UK means you guys get whatever scraps Ford UK can spare.

Edited by bzcat