Edge/Nautilus production ending?

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

If they move the BEVs to Canada from OHAP, then they will have to appease the UAW with something else at the plant since it was included within their last contract. 

Not necessarily. They've announced 2 different products (including the BEVs that are now going to OHAP) for FRAP and subsequently cancelled and moved them respectively. They don't have to appease anyone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

The next gen Edge/Nautilus should have been easy... just make shortened two row versions of Explorer, Explorer Hybrid, Aviator, and Aviator Grand Touring and call them Edge, Edge Hybrid, Nautilus, and Nautilus Grand Touring.  

Well it’s not that easy.  That was the original plan but the business case changed probably when sedans were no longer viable to share costs.

11 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

The next gen Edge/Nautilus should have been easy... just make shortened two row versions of Explorer, Explorer Hybrid, Aviator, and Aviator Grand Touring and call them Edge, Edge Hybrid, Nautilus, and Nautilus Grand Touring.  

Both were started but the story goes that they looked awful so they went back to Plan A

Could the real reason be that costs were starting to blow out and C2 was the easy answer?

Edited by jpd80

15 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Both were started but the story goes that they looked awful so they went back to Plan A

Could the real reason be that costs were starting to blow out and C2 was the easy answer?

A shortened Explorer probably wouldn't look that good without some major restyling, but a shortened Aviator should look just like a shorter Aviator... or longer Corsair, lol!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

A shortened Explorer probably wouldn't look that good without some major restyling, but a shortened Aviator should look just like a shorter Aviator... or longer Corsair, lol!  

All I know is that the Edge didn't look good , the proportions weren't right

and the Nautilus was supposed to resemble a LR Velar but wasn't right either.

I've been looking at the Land Rover Defender, it's basically got the Bronco outline 

but Explorer like dimensions....I wonder if a Bronco Max is possible.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I saw what I think was originally supposed to be NG Edge and I didn't think it looked all that bad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Obviously, they didn't look close enough at Range Rover Velar for inspiration for a RWD Nautilus and Edge companion.

I couldn't make sense of this, until I realized I mistakenly said WAS instead of WASN'T in my post. Styling didn't play a role. Cost and packaging concerns were by far the determining factors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

I couldn't make sense of this, until I realized I mistakenly said WAS instead of WASN'T in my post. Styling didn't play a role. Cost and packaging concerns were by far the determining factors. 

I mistook Intel that CD6 Edge /Nautilus "was not working" as meaning styling/ space efficiency

but in earlier posts  I also wondered if the real reason was cost blow out,  that makes sense

and possibly reflects other rumored decisions with Mustang cost savings.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jpd80 said:

All I know is that the Edge didn't look good , the proportions weren't right

and the Nautilus was supposed to resemble a LR Velar but wasn't right either.

I've been looking at the Land Rover Defender, it's basically got the Bronco outline 

but Explorer like dimensions....I wonder if a Bronco Max is possible.

Easy, put a cab behind a short wheel base 2 door F-150. Give it the suspension of the Tremor version as standard, when the suspension the Raptor as optional (with some adjusting of course) ... and you have a Bronco Max! 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Easy, put a cab behind a short wheel base 2 door F-150. Give it the suspension of the Tremor version as standard, when the suspension the Raptor as optional (with some adjusting of course) ... and you have a Bronco Max! 

Good idea. Maybe make it have a 3-row option?

And it would give Ford a great way to incorporate a V-8 (Coyote or Supercharged V-8 assuming Raptor rumors are true) and 3.5L, both things Jeep does not really have a competitor to.

I'd love it to be around the size of the Land Crusier.

3 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

Good idea. Maybe make it have a 3-row option?

And it would give Ford a great way to incorporate a V-8 (Coyote or Supercharged V-8 assuming Raptor rumors are true) and 3.5L, both things Jeep does not really have a competitor to.

I'd love it to be around the size of the Land Crusier.

The upcoming 4 door Bronco is only 5 inches or so shorter then a Land Crusier. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Not easy when production is already tight

maybr ford needs to increase the SUV line capacity again at KTP.

• Like 1