Ford Raptor Supercharged V-8?

I think Raptor will return with 3.5 EB with more power. That's a given I think. Ford has put so much investment into EB branding that it won't walk away from the only RS-level performance model with that engine (as oppose to ST-level e.g. Explorer ST). 

Will there be a higher level Raptor R with 5.2 V8? Perhaps. But Ford will essentially be doing that just to make V8 noises. The 3.5 EB can make a lot more power with tune so it's not really necessary to go V8 route just to make more power. Plus we know Powerboost is part of F-150 program so I can see Raptor R being a hybrid. That would be a strong counter point to TRX's (and FCA's Hemi-all-the-things) approach which depends solely on FCA being able to purchase EV credits from Tesla. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think the wide fenders suggest that this is a Raptor.

I'm wondering if Ford keeps going with the EBV6 Raptor but has an apex model as a level above, maybe Raptor R?

I think this seems possible.  I can't see them putting the GT500 V8 into all Raptors with how many of them they sell.  But a lower volume "R" model?  Sure I could see it - if they can find a way to do it for GT500 (make a unique powertrain available), they can do it for Raptor.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

Yeah that’s right if the 3.5EB were an in-line engine there would probably be far fewer calls for a V8 Raptor. 

Remember when the 300” Ford six was a welcome sight under an F150 hood?

In another land, it was a 4.0 DOHC I-6 Turbo

imagine if Ford US had done the same with the 300.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Yeah that’s right if the 3.5EB were an in-line engine there would probably be far fewer calls for a V8 Raptor. 

Remember when the 300” Ford six was a welcome sight under an F150 hood?

The 2.9 bent six that Alfa uses is a fine engine.

That "horrible" 3.5 Ford uses won Lemans and beat Ferrari.

This "my favorite engine is better than your favorite engine" BS is the equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad."  Yawn.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

How about a mediocre V8 compared to a powerful 6 cylinder motor?

A lot of BMW people would rather have an inline 6 cylinder. Sounds like the new Defender inline 6 cylinder is quite good.

All things being equal, I think that a V-8 sounds better and has more potential than a V-6. However, a good V-6 in the right vehicle is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

The 2.9 bent six that Alfa uses is a fine engine.

That "horrible" 3.5 Ford uses won Lemans and beat Ferrari.

This "my favorite engine is better than your favorite engine" BS is the equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad."  Yawn.

Hey I think you misunderstood me. I’m talking about consumer perception. The venerable inline six was a stalwart for decades in this country. The Cummins diesel is an example of the admiration that American truckers have for 6 bangers. 

I like the 3.5EB and would happily order one if I were in the position to buy a Raptor. 

• Like 1

If Ford does have a blown V8 Raptor, then all of Ram's bragging rights go away overnight.

If it's something like EB V6  + PHEV then that could also work by being so different to the Ram

If Ford adds electric power to the Raptor EB V6  or S/C V8,  it gets more power for launch performance

and any problems with CAFE immediately go away, those are potentially big selling points.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, loubif said:

I think Godzilla would rape a T-REX, even if it was from Hell...Blown 7.3 OR BUST!!!

Yes, a blown Godzilla aces a T-Rex but how about this, a HP Godzilla with PHEV?

a Big Block with a ton of power and torque that's also CAFE friendly.

Only Ford could do that...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, silvrsvt said:

How about a 600-650HP PowerBoost V6 and a limited run 1000-2000 units 700hp+ 5.2L for people who have to absolutely have one for $80k+ 

Why even go in with any kind of limits?

Just build what you can sell. Start small and increase production as needed until you find the sweet spot.

• Like 2

The bigger question is will the TRX be “better” than the Raptor in the dirt? Besides more power the TRX has a better (on paper at least) rear suspension for a factory built trophy truck prerunner. 

Of course the new Raptor will negate that advantage with its new coil sprung rear suspension and those beautiful truck arms I’ve been seeing in the spy photos. 

The interior? I think Ford will at least match the Ram. 

Ford has the advantage of being sorted out. Their off road electronic control has had time to be finely tuned. 

The 10spd is best in class I think. 

In my opinion the current Raptor still holds a slight advantage in exterior styling. I have no doubt it will be even better in the next version. The Raptor like the F150 itself is aging like fine wine. Ford has done a good job here. Their trucks are serious looking pieces and not gimmicky like some of the others. 

No THE biggest inherent advantage that every F150 including the Raptor has is the lightest body structure bar none. By having a lighter aluminum body the Raptor’s center of gravity is automatically lower than anything the competition can come up with. 

Ford has paid their dues with these mass produced aluminum vehicles it’s time to start really touting the advantages they hold. Remember the silly and bogus GM truck bed commercials? Time to make the competition look stupid for resting on their laurels. 

In my opinion the F150/Raptor will always be at least a generation ahead of the competition as long as they continue to hold this massive weight advantage. 

I believe the TRX is 800 pounds heavier than the current Raptor. 

I wish the Bronco and Mustang were aluminum as well. 

14 hours ago, probowler said:

Why even go in with any kind of limits?

Just build what you can sell. Start small and increase production as needed until you find the sweet spot.

because the 5.2l is built on a niche line that Im assuming doesn’t have much headroom for extra production. 

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

The bigger question is will the TRX be “better” than the Raptor in the dirt? Besides more power the TRX has a better (on paper at least) rear suspension for a factory built trophy truck prerunner. 

Of course the new Raptor will negate that advantage with its new coil sprung rear suspension and those beautiful truck arms I’ve been seeing in the spy photos. 

Ford has the advantage of being sorted out. Their off road electronic control has had time to be finely tuned. 

In my opinion the current Raptor still holds a slight advantage in exterior styling. I have no doubt it will be even better in the next version. The Raptor like the F150 itself is aging like fine wine. Ford has done a good job here. Their trucks are serious looking pieces and not gimmicky like some of the others. 

No THE biggest inherent advantage that every F150 including the Raptor has is the lightest body structure bar none. By having a lighter aluminum body the Raptor’s center of gravity is automatically lower than anything the competition can come up with. 

Ford has paid their dues with these mass produced aluminum vehicles it’s time to start really touting the advantages they hold. Remember the silly and bogus GM truck bed commercials? Time to make the competition look stupid for resting on their laurels. 

In my opinion the F150/Raptor will always be at least a generation ahead of the competition as long as they continue to hold this massive weight advantage. 

All great points.  I saw a story stating the new TRX was better looking than be current raptor because of the smooth lines. One of the things I like about the raptor is it’s chisel look, which differentiates it.  The TRX looks good but at first I didn’t think that It was necessarily wider because of its softer smooth look. Now I’m not saying the ram is ugly by any stretch and I think it looks pretty good, however looks are very subjective so it’s hard to say one looks better than the other at this point. 

I feel like Ram went wider than the Raptor at 88 inches for the sake of being wider. The Raptor is already wide and presents parking challenges, so I’m not sure why they wanted to create more challenges.  I’d we curious to hear the engineering reason behind that.  

The comparisons between the Fox and Bilstine shocks will be interesting.  I’ve always felt Fox was considered the leader in off-road shocks, so we will see how this shapes up.  

I would like to see a Sasquatch like package for the Raptor that would allow for 37” tires.  That would be a unique package they could offer, which is a pretty common aftermarket swap out. 

I would also like to see Ford at least match the TRX ground clearance.  A little taller would be nice for those of us who aren’t dessert running and use it for regular off-road. 

Overall the Raptor is well position to meet these new challenges from the TRX, and since Ford is bringing it out in the same year as their next gen truck, they obviously are taking a threat from the TRX pretty seriously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Most of Bronco's body panels are aluminum.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think you’re in the wrong thread for this ?

Sort of but not really - someone above mentioned wishing Bronco used aluminum (in discussing Raptor’s aluminum weight advantage over TRX), and I pointed out it does use aluminum panels.  I’ll take the blame for getting the thread off on a tangent haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Sort of but not really - someone above mentioned wishing Bronco used aluminum (in discussing Raptor’s aluminum weight advantage over TRX), and I pointed out it does use aluminum panels.  I’ll take the blame for getting the thread off on a tangent haha.

I missed that. I skipped past a huge part of the thread because I didn't feel like reading ??‍♂️

Putting maple engines in the Raptor makes sense. Plus, offering a the GT500's engine in another vehicle makes the business case for continuing more Shelby models in the future is better by sharing it with another model.

It would not be the only engine.

Kind of how I expect the Powerboost engine to make it into the Expy and Nav since it is a great feature for tailgating.