Ford Raptor Supercharged V-8?

On 8/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, 30 OTT 6 said:

I think the 7.3L V8 would be a great addition for Raptor. It'd be the perfect vehicle to get aftermarket support going for the 7.3L, starting with Ford Racing Performance Parts.

Considering that it reportedly doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the Coyote (which, I think, weighs less than the EB35), that doesn't sound like such a far-fetched idea. I'm just wondering if getting it Federalized for the half-ton market is going to be worth the cost to Ford.

I sure hope so, though. I wouldn't mind seeing one in a "regular" F-150; that would be a beast for part-time towing.

9 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Considering that it reportedly doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the Coyote (which, I think, weighs less than the EB35), that doesn't sound like such a far-fetched idea. I'm just wondering if getting it Federalized for the half-ton market is going to be worth the cost to Ford.

I sure hope so, though. I wouldn't mind seeing one in a "regular" F-150; that would be a beast for part-time towing.

I’ve seen a few different numbers.  The Coyote is usually listed around 430-440 lbs.  I’ve seen the 3.5 Ecoboost listed at 449, so it is a little heavier.  In a YouTube video, RevanEvan gave the weight of the 7.3.  I don’t remember exactly,  it I think he said the 7.3 was a little over 100 lbs heavier than the Coyote. 

In order to use the 7.3 in vehicles subject to CAFE, Ford would need to develop cylinder deactivation

or use Hybrid technology. The way CAFE is calculated prevents manufacturers from selling tens of

thousands of thirty vehicles each month and then trying to average it out by massive volume. 

Having said that, it would be possible to sell about 2,000 or 3,000 a month of 16mpg S/C V8 F150s

when Ford sells around 40,000 that are rated at 22mpg, that wouldn't be a massive CAFE hit especially

if Ford starts selling hybrids and BEV trucks.

I would love to see Ford channel its inner mojo and give Ram TRX a ton of grief with a S/C 7.3 Raptor

but a 5.2 S/C V8 would be be equally humbling.....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I have a feeling the Hemi in the TRX will develop more torque at a lower R.P.M. than the supercharged 5.2L, and if so would be an advantage this type of vehicle.  Nonetheless, the S/C 5.2L in the Raptor is the move I would make if I were Ford.  Ford will need to come up with something for the Bronco to counter the Hemi Wrangler with too. 

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I have a feeling the Hemi in the TRX will develop more torque at a lower R.P.M. than the supercharged 5.2L, and if so would be an advantage this type of vehicle.  Nonetheless, the S/C 5.2L in the Raptor is the move I would make if I were Ford.  Ford will need to come up with something for the Bronco to counter the Hemi Wrangler with too. 

With both engines boosted by efficient blowers, both are going to make more than enough torque

with the gearing available with modern 8 or 10 speed autos. The Raptor could use either engine

but the ED on the SC 5.2 is already done, the 7.3 is a sentimental favorite.

I feel like a 5.2 option won't be a limited edition model in the sense of Bronco First Edition of 7,000 units - i.e. numerically limited.  I feel it'll be limited in the sense of GT500 -like they'll make them but not a specific number limitation of them.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I feel like a 5.2 option won't be a limited edition model in the sense of Bronco First Edition of 7,000 units - i.e. numerically limited.  I feel it'll be limited in the sense of GT500 -like they'll make them but not a specific number limitation of them.

They only made about 5K or so GT350s through the years

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

They only made about 5K or so GT350s through the years

I was more getting at they're not going to paint themselves into a corner saying "only X # of units of this model being made", leaving the door open for them to make as many or as few as they want.

Edited by rmc523

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The supercharged 5.2 is hand built down a mini assembly line, that keeps production units low.

If the orders are way out in front of production, there may be a considerable wait time.

49 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The supercharged 5.2 is hand built down a mini assembly line, that keeps production units low.

If the orders are way out in front of production, there may be a considerable wait time.

Of course......not saying they'll sell 10s of thousands a year, but it'll be more than 100.  I'm sure they'll find a way to increase production if demand is high enough.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Of course......not saying they'll sell 10s of thousands a year, but it'll be more than 100.  I'm sure they'll find a way to increase production if demand is high enough.

You'd think so because it's high profit, every one that's sold probably makes double the profit of an XLT.

In good months, over 2,000 sales a month was common, a bit slower now.

Edited by jpd80

19 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/2023-chevrolet-silverado-zr2-our-exclusive-details/

Interesting... my guess it either has to be great on pricing or too little, too late.

Because it sure isn’t great in the looks department? Joking aside, $60k seems high when you can get a base Raptor for $56k.  GM’s approach to this market is weird, all things considered. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tbone said:

Because it sure isn’t great in the looks department? Joking aside, $60k seems high when you can get a base Raptor for $56k.  GM’s approach to this market is weird, all things considered. 

Yep. The only thing that a ZR2 would have over a Raptor is the locking front diff. I believe the Raptor is LSD in front, so not sure what difference that would make.

However, the Raptor's base price might increase slightly since the shorter cab configuration is rumored to be cancelled.

4 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

Yep. The only thing that a ZR2 would have over a Raptor is the locking front diff. I believe the Raptor is LSD in front, so not sure what difference that would make.

However, the Raptor's base price might increase slightly since the shorter cab configuration is rumored to be cancelled.

Raptor has a Torsen diff in front which is better than a limited-slip that has clutch plates that wear out.