Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Anthony

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I also think you might've helped me place the vehicle I was thinking of - the Nitro (and later 2nd gen Liberty).

File:Dodge Nitro 2.8 CRD rear.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Looks nothing like the GW that is pictured.  The Nitro looks more like the 2021 Bronco 4 door than the GW (you know because it has wheels/tires and fender flares).  If anything, as posted above, the “shape” of the GW resembles the LR.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  Looks a hell of a lot better than some of the other designs in today’s market.  

47 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

If anything, as posted above, the “shape” of the GW resembles the LR.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  Looks a hell of a lot better than some of the other designs in today’s market.  

The GW has alot of the previous gen Yukon in the side shape with the flaired fenders and squared out wheel openings on it.

CN020_006GW.thumb.jpg.8fa967b3dcb6d8e54060b8e5d8e0082a.jpg

2018 GMC Yukon | Carl Black Buick GMC Roswell

The Tail light cluster screams Dodge with that lightbar on top and it doesn't help that the tail lights aren't "properly" weighted size wise

2018 Dodge Durango: Angular Rear

Then contrast with its platform mate-the Grand Cherokee

2020 Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 4X4 Rochester MN | Stewartville Kasson  Pine Island %(Minnesota) 1C4RJFBG2LC200575

I just get this vibe that the RamCharger or whatever they call it will be sharing alot of the same sheetmetal as its Jeep Sibling...I just get this nagging feeling that they will share identical greenhouses.

The Lincoln Navigator and Expedition share alot of sheetmetal, but at least the green house "looks" different because the Lincoln is all blacked out. 

23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The GW has alot of the previous gen Yukon in the side shape with the flaired fenders and squared out wheel openings on it.

CN020_006GW.thumb.jpg.8fa967b3dcb6d8e54060b8e5d8e0082a.jpg

2018 GMC Yukon | Carl Black Buick GMC Roswell

The Tail light cluster screams Dodge with that lightbar on top and it doesn't help that the tail lights aren't "properly" weighted size wise

2018 Dodge Durango: Angular Rear

Then contrast with its platform mate-the Grand Cherokee

2020 Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 4X4 Rochester MN | Stewartville Kasson  Pine Island %(Minnesota) 1C4RJFBG2LC200575

I just get this vibe that the RamCharger or whatever they call it will be sharing alot of the same sheetmetal as its Jeep Sibling...I just get this nagging feeling that they will share identical greenhouses.

The Lincoln Navigator and Expedition share alot of sheetmetal, but at least the green house "looks" different because the Lincoln is all blacked out. 

The Cherokee/Durango reference is not valid for this discussion.  Those are “mid-size” SUV’s (like Aviator/Explorer).  Manufacturers can afford to design and offer different sheet metal for volume sellers.  I agree with the GW/Yukon fender comparison, but then again, Jeep has generally had the squared off fender design (otherwise the GW looks nothing like the Yukon pictured, unless you are counting the number of doors and wheels).  

21 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Looks nothing like the GW that is pictured.  The Nitro looks more like the 2021 Bronco 4 door than the GW (you know because it has wheels/tires and fender flares).  If anything, as posted above, the “shape” of the GW resembles the LR.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  Looks a hell of a lot better than some of the other designs in today’s market.  

The greenhouse is what I'm talking about.

20 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

The Cherokee/Durango reference is not valid for this discussion.  Those are “mid-size” SUV’s (like Aviator/Explorer).  Manufacturers can afford to design and offer different sheet metal for volume sellers.  I agree with the GW/Yukon fender comparison, but then again, Jeep has generally had the squared off fender design (otherwise the GW looks nothing like the Yukon pictured, unless you are counting the number of doors and wheels).  

He's referring to the styling differences between the two, and how the GW seems to have more styling cues in common with the Dodge its smaller Jeep sibling.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

The greenhouse is what I'm talking about.

He's referring to the styling differences between the two, and how the GW seems to have more styling cues in common with the Dodge its smaller Jeep sibling.

Still no.  Not seeing it, if one design element leads your eyes to believe the GW looks like something else, so be it. 

I dont think it looks like anything else TBH.  I do think it will change some minds when it is seen in person as most vehicles these days.  The more I see it, the more it grows on me.

I think the main thing about it is how it is Tahoe-sized, but the design makes it look much smaller and not as bloated (again, those are 24" inch wheels on the concept).  

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 7:12 AM, T-dubz said:

The pillars should be black to go along with the roof. It kinda reminds me of a grand Cherokee mixed with a Nissan Xterra that grew too big.

The pillars are the first thing that caught my attention. I'm so sick of all the black plastic that scratches just by looking at it. The body color surrounding the glass gives it an air of sophistication IMO.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, rmc523 said:

I have to agree with that.

I also think you might've helped me place the vehicle I was thinking of - the Nitro (and later 2nd gen Liberty).

File:Dodge Nitro 2.8 CRD rear.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I've gotta wonder why everything is body color except that one pillar? That stands out in a bad way, kind of like the piece that belongs there fell off.

From a design perspective, the issue with having fully-painted pillars and a blacked out roof is visual purpose.

Generally, our subconscious expects horizontal elements to be supported, and for vertical elements to support horizontal elements. Featuring so many pillars in body color and with brightwork trim terminating into a "negative" element like the black roof leaves an uneasy impression as the posts serve no purpose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

From a design perspective, the issue with having fully-painted pillars and a blacked out roof is visual purpose.

Generally, our subconscious expects horizontal elements to be supported, and for vertical elements to support horizontal elements. Featuring so many pillars in body color and with brightwork trim terminating into a "negative" element like the black roof leaves an uneasy impression as the posts serve no purpose.

It certainly seems different than one would expect. Perhaps, that's why I like the look? It stands out from the crowd a bit. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

2 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

It certainly seems different than one would expect. Perhaps, that's why I like the look? It stands out from the crowd a bit. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

I would agree if the look was more cohesive, which is the biggest distraction with the overall styling.  

10 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

I would agree if the look was more cohesive, which is the biggest distraction with the overall styling.  

With the exception of the roof color (which may or may not be a production thing), the design is refreshingly simple compared to most over-styled vehicles these days.  It seems to be a design meant to age well without any gimmicks to tie it to a certain era.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotcha.

For me, the grille isnt as slanted, and the headlights are slightly bigger making the front end a bit more integrated.  Witout the two tone paint, the body esp around the windows has a better flow to it.  The wheels also set off a better look since they look like they fit the vehicle and show off the size of the car.  It still needs a spoiler, the rear end still doesnt look complete without it.

• Like 1