Ford building new BEV F-150 facility

Bloomberg: Ford CEO’s Vow for Flawless Launches Tested by High-Stakes F-150.

"Ford will temporarily shut a factory in Michigan next month to install machinery for the redesigned F-150 pickup going on sale next year. The automaker also is constructing a new facility adjacent to its Dearborn, Michigan, truck plant to build an electric version of the F-150, according to people familiar with the project. Prototype production is expected to start next year, said the people, who asked not to be identified revealing internal plans.

"Ford also will idle and overhaul its Missouri pickup factory in October to prepare for the redesigned truck after closing its Dearborn plant for two weeks of retooling starting Sept. 7, according to the people. The complex and costly changeover of the two factories will trim output of Ford’s biggest cash cow by about 100,000 vehicles this fall..."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-24/ford-ceo-s-vow-for-flawless-launches-tested-by-high-stakes-f-150

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

In all seriousness, how many have there been (i.e. all new product)? F150, Transit, and what else? <I can't remember, not trying to be a wiseacre>

The only one that was really a disaster recently was Explorer/Aviator. 2015 F-150 was pretty much flawless at 2 different plants. Super Duty and Expy/Navi were good. 2020 Escape/Corsair was great. Ranger was Great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

In all seriousness, how many have there been (i.e. all new product)? F150, Transit, and what else? <I can't remember, not trying to be a wiseacre>

Ranger.  Escape, Corsair, F-150, SuperDuty, Transit, Continental?, Ecosport, Focus (ROW), Edge/Nautilus refresh, Navigator, Expedition

I think a staggered launch is a great decision. I would believe people wanting Platinum and Limited models will be waiting for the 2021s. Stocking XL and XLT for commercial use and consumers looking for a bargain should be their goal, even if it is less profitable. The profits will really kick in when both plants have been cranking out the high-end 2021s.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

How old is that map? 470 was complete in the early 80's and 3/4 of those railroads don't exist. 

N&W is now Norfolk Southern, CB&Q is now part of BNSF (after becoming part of the merger that formed Burlington Northern (BN) which included CGW which is seen in the upper right corner of that map and SLSF (Frisco) which is mostly south of the city) as is AT&SF, CRI&P and MP (MoPac) is part of Union Pacific. The only railroads on that map that still exist today is Kansas City Southern (KCS) and Union Pacific.

Based on when BN was formed (1970) I would put this map as being from the late 60s. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

The last really bad launch was the 2013 Escape, and that was more with recalls than with actual production. 2015 Edge had some, but nothing of the magnitude of the Explorer/Aviator. Those issues were that it was everything (engineering, union, supplier, plant management, and corporate governance). Was a perfect storm for a bad launch and got worse as finger pointing was all over and some just refusing to help as they saw it as an opportunity to get back at one or another of the groups or people getting their "feelings hurt".

• Like 1