Ford building new BEV F-150 facility

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The yard has been much more empty than usual since March. Even the trains that cross over Fort Street and Allen Road are much less common than they were. I can't remember the last time I was stopped by one. 

Sure CN will dump the line if FRAP ever closes. Didn't they put up cameras so you can see if they are blocked?

Plymouth should do that too, but there are way less trains there as well. After all the Ford/GM factories closed in Wixom/Lansing/Saginaw the old B&O line though Northville/Milford sees a fraction of the train traffic it used to have; will be interesting if MDOT/Amtrak ever launces the University/Traverse City-Petoskey line and what path they take.

1 minute ago, tbone said:

Which is exactly why I’m leaving this state permanently in eight days. 

Congratulations on getting out! I am kinda stuck here because of ex wife and son. She isn't leaving anytime soon. I moved here in 06 when Michigan was in bad shape. It was great living in Chicago when I was younger, lots of jobs and stuff to do. I really got a lot of experience. However, as time went on. The city and state started to tax us to death. The more I dug in on the subject, the more I realized that this state is built on a house of cards that is built on the hard working tax payers. Meanwhile, the state pension recipients have cushy jobs and a permanent source of pension income that they have barely contributed to. Illinois is so corrupt, that even exposing Madigan's corruption can't get him ousted because he has too much power. I fully expect this state to go bankrupt as more and more people leave. /Rant Over

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think you see that more out west in the middle of nowhere rather than anywhere near a city. 

I do see these around Detroit sometimes, will have 3 or 4 grid road crossings blocked at the same time and traffic backs up for a mile plus as it goes across at 15mph. 

7 minutes ago, AGR said:

Sort of back on topic,. For the joint Ford-Rivian product, will that be built at Normal or at a Ford factory?

It was Normal for the Lincoln, but now TBD. 

2 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Sure CN will dump the line if FRAP ever closes. Didn't they put up cameras so you can see if they are blocked?

Plymouth should do that too, but there are way less trains there as well. After all the Ford/GM factories closed in Wixom/Lansing/Saginaw the old B&O line though Northville/Milford sees a fraction of the train traffic it used to have; will be interesting if MDOT/Amtrak ever launces the University/Traverse City-Petoskey line and what path they take.

Yeah, there's cameras on Van Horn, Allen and King roads. The King crossing still sees a lot of traffic now that they’re using the auto rack loading dock again, plus the trains that go to and from Dearborn multiple times a day. 

http://rrcrossings.woodhavenmi.org/

I think CSX at one point recently did try to sell the Plymouth Sub but didn't get any serious offers. I've heard they have a few new customers that are coming online so that should help bolster their traffic volume some. 

23 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, there's cameras on Van Horn, Allen and King roads. The King crossing still sees a lot of traffic now that they’re using the auto rack loading dock again, plus the trains that go to and from Dearborn multiple times a day. 

http://rrcrossings.woodhavenmi.org/

I think CSX at one point recently did try to sell the Plymouth Sub but didn't get any serious offers. I've heard they have a few new customers that are coming online so that should help bolster their traffic volume some. 

I lived in Plymouth from 2002 to 2016 until I moved to Florida. From 2002 to 2008 the train traffic was incessant. Every 15 minutes the crossings were backed up. Then after the Great Recession traffic dropped to hardly nothing, and solely ramped up to pretty busy by the time I left. Still remember the coal train that came through often back in the day. There were always a few who would jump on the train on one end of town and jump off on the other side. 

As for corruption, it was always a contest between Cook County and Wayne County. Of course, now we have Trump in the White House who is Kwami Killpatricks mentor. 

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think the Lincoln flagship (now on hold) was the only actual vehicle from the JV - the rest was technology sharing IIRC.

Well, right after the Lincoln was put on hold, Ford applied for a trademark for Excursion, leading many to put 2 and 2 together. I don't pretend to be an insider, and have no idea whether the two developments are related or not.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

The assertion was Ford could not do flawless launches which is patently false.

Ford will demonstrate whether that assertion is false or not when redesigned regular F-150 starts production later this year and again with BEV F-150 the following year. The Bloomberg article indicates that Jim Farley is on top of his game with planning these product launches. Proof one way or another will only come when KC and Dearborn are cranking out these new F-150s.

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford will demonstrate whether that assertion is false or not when redesigned regular F-150 starts production later this year and again with BEV F-150 the following year. The Bloomberg article indicates that Jim Farley is on top of his game with planning these product launches. Proof one way or another will only come when KC and Dearborn are cranking out these new F-150s.

It would be hard to believe Ford would put an OK to ship tag on new F-150s if they were not near perfect. Especially after the CAP fiasco. So I have very few doubts about this launch, especially since the changes are not that great. Nothing like going from fwd to rwd.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It would be hard to believe Ford would put an OK to ship tag on new F-150s if they were not near perfect. Especially after the CAP fiasco. So I have very few doubts about this launch, especially since the changes are not that great. Nothing like going from fwd to rwd.

The only complaint I remember seeing in 2015 was Dearborn built units having crooked bumpers off the lot which was a simple fix. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

FWD to RWD doesn't really matter.   Wixom used to build RWD BOF town cars, RWD unibody LS and FWD unibody Continentals on the same final assembly line.

What matters is an entirely new platform and new components that were never built before.  Decker laid out all the reasons why Explorer/Aviator launch was such a mess - that won't happen elsewhere.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

They've demonstrated it over and over already on other launches you just refuse to acknowledge them or accept that CAP was the major problem with Explorer/Aviator launch.

• Like 1

How quickly we forget.  MAP underwent a major revamp when it got ready for the Ranger.  From building unit-body FWD vehicles, to a BOF truck.  And yet, despite all the turmoil of such a changeover, the new Ranger, in 2019, took first place in the J.D. Powers initial quality study.  

Ford does know how to launch vehicles.  

https://www.ranger5g.com/2019-ford-ranger-tops-midsize-pickup-trucks-in-j-d-power-u-s-initial-quality-study/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

How quickly we forget.  MAP underwent a major revamp when it got ready for the Ranger.  From building unit-body FWD vehicles, to a BOF truck.  And yet, despite all the turmoil of such a changeover, the new Ranger, in 2019, took first place in the J.D. Powers initial quality study.  

Ford does know how to launch vehicles.  

https://www.ranger5g.com/2019-ford-ranger-tops-midsize-pickup-trucks-in-j-d-power-u-s-initial-quality-study/

I keep telling people this but it's getting lost on some people.

MAP has the best launch team in the company. Fight me. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, akirby said:

They've demonstrated it over and over already on other launches you just refuse to acknowledge them or accept that CAP was the major problem with Explorer/Aviator launch.

Just a shame that the Company didn't take the opportunity to put the 2020 Explorer in a different location, rather than dumping all that $$$ into CAP.

HRG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Just a shame that the Company didn't take the opportunity to put the 2020 Explorer in a different location, rather than dumping all that $$$ into CAP.

HRG

Like stated before too many internal politics and where would have they put it? 

12 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Congratulations on getting out! I am kinda stuck here because of ex wife and son. She isn't leaving anytime soon. I moved here in 06 when Michigan was in bad shape. It was great living in Chicago when I was younger, lots of jobs and stuff to do. I really got a lot of experience. However, as time went on. The city and state started to tax us to death. The more I dug in on the subject, the more I realized that this state is built on a house of cards that is built on the hard working tax payers. Meanwhile, the state pension recipients have cushy jobs and a permanent source of pension income that they have barely contributed to. Illinois is so corrupt, that even exposing Madigan's corruption can't get him ousted because he has too much power. I fully expect this state to go bankrupt as more and more people leave. /Rant Over

I couldn’t have said it better.  I moved to Chicagoland in 04.  This transfer was optional for me so I saw it as an opportunity to get out before the place completely tanks.  I fully expect the state to go bankrupt at some point too.  It’s a damn shame because, violence aside, downtown Chicago is a beautiful city, and other locations are quite nice as well.  However, it’s time to end my funding of endless poor decisions.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm confident too that Farley will accomplish his goal of "flawless launch" for new F-150 this year and next. BEV F-150 in particular is the most important new product introduction for Ford in several decades. They can't afford delays or any other production snags for this product. Lots of competitors including some new players are planning to launch BEV pickup trucks in the next few years.

Farley is a stickler for detail. Hopefully his promotion to CEO combined with the fitness work Jim Hackett has already done will help Ford avoid mistakes experienced with previous new product launches.

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I'm confident too that Farley will accomplish his goal of "flawless launch" for new F-150 this year and next. BEV F-150 in particular is the most important new product introduction for Ford in several decades. They can't afford delays or any other production snags for this product. Lots of competitors including some new players are planning to launch BEV pickup trucks in the next few years.

Farley is a stickler for detail. Hopefully his promotion to CEO combined with the fitness work Jim Hackett has already done will help Ford avoid mistakes experienced with previous new product launches.

I believe getting a flawless launch out of CAP is impossible no matter who is in charge. The previous Explorer had its share of problems also. Not sure how reliable the Taurus is. However, the 2002 Taurus I drove for 15 years had only one recall and was a great vehicle and built at CAP. 

22 hours ago, akirby said:

I think the Lincoln flagship (now on hold) was the only actual vehicle from the JV - the rest was technology sharing IIRC.

The Lincoln utility and the Amazon van were the two vehicles attached to the $500m Ford investment in Rivian. In addition, Ford is helping Rivian with procurement, manufacturing logistic, and Govt compliance, something Rivian has no experience doing. In return, Rivian has basically an open book with Ford on any technology they develop, including the skateboard chassis. 

Amazon and Ford's investment happened around the same time so there was speculation that they were linked. Ford and Amazon were already talking about Transit EV order when Rivian happened. And later Amazon placed a 100,000 unit van order with Rivian and an unspecified order with Ford (presumably for Transit EV). 

Edited by bzcat

48 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I believe getting a flawless launch out of CAP is impossible no matter who is in charge. The previous Explorer had its share of problems also. Not sure how reliable the Taurus is. However, the 2002 Taurus I drove for 15 years had only one recall and was a great vehicle and built at CAP. 

Sorry but you can't equate vehicle reliability or recall frequency to the assembly plant. In most cases, it's an engineering or vendor related issue and not a vehicle assembly matter. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

The Lincoln utility and the Amazon van were the two vehicles attached to the $500m Ford investment in Rivian. In addition, Ford is helping Rivian with procurement, manufacturing logistic, and Govt compliance, something Rivian has no experience doing. In return, Rivian has basically an open book with Ford on any technology they develop, including the skateboard chassis. 

Amazon and Ford's investment happened around the same time so there was speculation that they were linked. Ford and Amazon were already talking about Transit EV order when Rivian happened. And later Amazon placed a 100,000 unit van order with Rivian and an unspecified order with Ford (presumably for Transit EV). 

I'm confused about the Amazon van.  I thought that was a Rivian deal and I thought the Transit BEV would use the F150 BEV skateboard developed by Ford?