Ford Might Be Considering Bringing Lincoln Brand To Europe: Exclusive (FA)

That would be great if true. It might be a path for bringing back a Lincoln sedan, as luxury sedans still sell well in Europe. Having that as an anchor market is how MB, BMW, Audi and others manage to maintain a robust range of sedan offerings.

39 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Having that as an anchor market is how MB, BMW, Audi and others manage to maintain a robust range of sedan offerings.

Not sure if you ever been to Europe, but having a BMW 7 series as a taxi doesn't build your brand image either. There are lots of "cheap" Luxury cars in Germany...Mercedes with steel wheels and the like. At least that was my experience there 30 years ago. 

This is an interesting move, I wonder if the Bentley like grille makes the Lincolns more appealing to European buyers,

I know that American "styling" is a big issue there, Cadillac's Arts and Science style is seen as gaudy and overdone.

Perhaps a couple of BEVs on the VW toolkit along with the US mid sized BEV would help kick start the brand there.

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Correlation does not imply causation.

Correct, cprotecting the names does not mean that Lincoln will come to Europe,

competitors are not above using certain names in other regions.

Mitsubishi uses Highlander forcing Toyota to use Kluger.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, cprotecting the names does not mean that Lincoln will come to Europe,

competitors are not above using certain names in other regions.

Mitsubishi uses Highlander forcing Toyota to use Kluger.

Agreed, it's probably to stop a Chinese company from using the Lincoln name or to somewhat fight the use of Geely's Lync & CO brand name, which said out loud sounds like Lincoln Company.

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

This is an interesting move, I wonder if the Bentley like grille makes the Lincolns more appealing to European buyers,

I know that American "styling" is a big issue there, Cadillac's Arts and Science style is seen as gaudy and overdone.

Perhaps a couple of BEVs on the VW toolkit along with the US mid sized BEV would help kick start the brand there.

I'll believe the Ford/VW alliance when we actually see a product plan that will actually make it into production. Until then, it's just a lot of PR and speculation about what the capital investment will yield.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I'll believe the Ford/VW alliance when we actually see a product plan that will actually make it into production. Until then, it's just a lot of PR and speculation about what the capital investment will yield.  

At the moment it's just the one EV off VW's  MEB  in CY 2023, it's a bit hyped for what it is

and in my mind, Ford Europe is still moving along with BEVs on "C2" for Europe and ROW.

It's confusing because Europe is the epicenter of EVs at the moment but outside of 

commercial vehicles and MME, Ford doesn't seem to be doing much for there.