Going to Clay and Wax soon. Anybody have favorites?

Going to take some much needed time off the week of Labor Day. Thinking it's time to wash, clay, and wax my Fusion. It sits outside uncovered so I really need to wax and has been about a year. Going to use a soap that removes existing wax, clay, then put on some good synthetic wax. Anyone have any favorites? I want it to last at least 4-6 months. 

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Going to take some much needed time off the week of Labor Day. Thinking it's time to wash, clay, and wax my Fusion. It sits outside uncovered so I really need to wax and has been about a year. Going to use a soap that removes existing wax, clay, then put on some good synthetic wax. Anyone have any favorites? I want it to last at least 4-6 months. 

Hi jcartwright. I like Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Carnauba wax. They also make a Gold Class Liquid Synthetic. And paste wax versions off those too. Plus professional quality waxes.

I get at least 6 months out of a wax with it still beading. For example, I waxed my MKZ in late March and the water is still beading after a wash or rain.

Don't know the max life, since I wax before then anyway. Keep in mind I also hand wash with Meguiar's Liquid Gold Car Shampoo. No automatic car washes for me. That keeps the wax lasting longer.

I also blow the car off with my leaf blower in the morning after rains (as long as it is not going to rain again that day), before the sun hits the car. You would be surprised how much longer you can go between washes if you do that. It gets the water off the car before the mineral deposits and acids in the rain can concentrate down and spot/etch the paint.

I am sure others will have their own good recommendations, so let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, T hawker said:

I use the Meguiar's clay/detail spray for that portion.   I use Nu-Finish polish for "waxing".  I've tried just about everything over the years and keep going back to Nu-Finish.

20200829_144112.jpg

My father used new finish in the 90's. I always thought it was a gimmick but he swore by it (remember those commercials).Is it more of a sealant than wax? 

More of a polish.   It was recommended to me back in the early 80's to use on a fiberglass truck shell.  Told me it was safe so i tried it.  I like the way it removes road tar and tree sap, if it doesn't remove it right away just dab a little on the spot and let it sit for a few minutes.   No effort to apply or remove.