"Ford Grabs Chance to Rethink Offices"

On 8/31/2020 at 8:43 AM, silvrsvt said:

That is the problem...a certain movement got corrupted by another movement. I'm curious as to how things are going to be spun with the killing of the guy in Oregon yesterday....the Mayor of Portland appears to put his foot into his mouth with that one...

That is a bullshit statement-how could he put his  foot in his mouth when his HEAD is already up his ass?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Those 2 things have nothing to do with each other. Romeo is closing because they have way too much engine production capacity. Plans keep changing at FRAP because they keep finding better places for their plans. Any kind of work that FRAP needs to build more than cars will require a very extended period (read: years) of down time, which means much more lost revenue than they’re willing to give up. Better off tooling up another plant where they can keep the line running while the work is being done at the same time. 

Fuzzy-not sure get your point here-why can't Romeo be reconfigured? Was it not an assembly plant when built?  Granted building tractors is not the same as building cars but the bricks are not that old are they?  And I think Football Fan used the correct word to describe a key factor  in the Train  Station decision.  Aside from Bill Ford's love of downtown Detroit wasn't  Hackett making speeches about attracting young workers to the right building-or words to that effect???

52 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Tell that to the stock holders who are not getting any dividends !

Very few companies are paying dividends right now with the business climate and optics as well. Spending 2 billion dollars over 5 years to upgrade 60+ year old spaces, optimize office space for the headcount reductions over the 60+ years, have facilities to recruit young talent on top of getting the money you invest in the facility's back and the good will that goes with that in not even close to giving a 5 cent dividend for a quarter. One has tangible results in the end, one pops up the share price for a week of the quarter. Tesla share holders don't get dividends either. 

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Fuzzy-not sure get your point here-why can't Romeo be reconfigured? Was it not an assembly plant when built?  Granted building tractors is not the same as building cars but the bricks are not that old are they?  And I think Football Fan used the correct word to describe a key factor  in the Train  Station decision.  Aside from Bill Ford's love of downtown Detroit wasn't  Hackett making speeches about attracting young workers to the right building-or words to that effect???

I don't know about the assembly plant thing re: Romeo. Look at what’s being built and where. Romeo has been WELL below capacity for years. They don't need as many engine plants as they have, especially with more and more FHEV/PHEV and BEVs right around the corner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't know about the assembly plant thing re: Romeo. Look at what’s being built and where. Romeo has been WELL below capacity for years. They don't need as many engine plants as they have, especially with more and more FHEV/PHEV and BEVs right around the corner. 

This is what I was  referring to in   your post.......... Better off tooling up another plant where they can keep the line running while the work is being done at the same time. 

I totally understand  the  engine capacity thing -I  guess I'm agreeing with point that if it would take  five  years  to reconfigure FRAP and disrupt all that production, you have another facility that could  be utilized-no clue on geography-how close is Romeo  to FRAP?  Just thjinking of the impact on worker displacement.

49 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

This is what I was  referring to in   your post.......... Better off tooling up another plant where they can keep the line running while the work is being done at the same time. 

I totally understand  the  engine capacity thing -I  guess I'm agreeing with point that if it would take  five  years  to reconfigure FRAP and disrupt all that production, you have another facility that could  be utilized-no clue on geography-how close is Romeo  to FRAP?  Just thjinking of the impact on worker displacement.

Romeo is about an hour and a half(ish) away from FRAP on a good day. No matter which route you take between the two involves a lot of traffic, and at times very heavy traffic. 

Most of the workers will be transferred to Van Dyke unless they take a buyout per the 2019 UAW/Ford contract so worker displacement is not really a concern. 

The only reason that Mustang is staying at FRAP is because it's the cheapest least impact thing to do,

it was also an easy way out in the UAW contract as building  an evolved Mustang would continue using

much of the existing equipment, the supplier park and deliveries / transportation is already in place.

Very little needs to change.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

It will be at least another 5 years, probably more, before any part of Michigan Central can be used for office space.

Those unfamiliar with this renovation need to look at a Google earth image (below).  There is nothing there, including NO PARKING !

Capture.jpg

That picture alone probably has 1000 on-street parking spaces. Also, plenty of open fields to park on without a need for paving. 

6 hours ago, mackinaw said:

I haven't walked around the old train station in several years, but I believe most of the tracks are not being used.  Maybe the tracks farthest away are active, the numerous tracks near the old station probably aren't.  

This is correct. Those 2 main lines are owned by Canadian Pacific. It's the line that goes through the tunnel to Canada. 

I think technically the rest of those tracks, or whatever is left of them, are still active in the sense that they’re still connected to the main line but they haven't been used in a very long time and are in such a state of disrepair it's probably not a good idea to use them without some serious rehab work. I zoomed in on the map on my google maps app. It appears they're disconnected from the main line on both sides. I think that is still railroad property so if that were to become a parking lot it would have to be taken up with them. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

9 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

That picture alone probably has 1000 on-street parking spaces. Also, plenty of open fields to park on without a need for paving. 

There is no parking on any of the streets along the park in front of the building.  14th and 15th street are completely parked up by Foreman Brother, a US Mail trucking company.  The building between 14th and 15th is abandoned.

Much of the track behind the building is abandoned/no longer connected, so it would be a good place for a parking garage.  Terrible access on narrow street to Michigan Avenue.

Edited by theoldwizard

47 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Time for the City (and state) to move away from 1950s/1960s mentality and remove unneeded traffic lanes and restore on-street parking, which would have been prevalent in the 1940s and before. 

The only street around there that has unneeded traffic lanes is Michigan Avenue, and there's already street parking allowed there. All the other rounds around there are 2 lane roads. 

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The only street around there that has unneeded traffic lanes is Michigan Avenue, and there's already street parking allowed there. All the other rounds around there are 2 lane roads. 

Speaking of Michigan Avenue, it needs a Q Line to Downtown. I'm sure it had a street car back in the day. 

27 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Speaking of Michigan Avenue, it needs a Q Line to Downtown. I'm sure it had a street car back in the day. 

It did. You can still see the tracks still there under the pavement in the left turn lane through the potholes, especially at the intersection of Michigan/Trumbull. As far as adding a new light rail line there I don't think that will happen. Too much politics involved. They couldn't even agree to take the new line from downtown all the way to 8 mile like they should have. 

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It did. You can still see the tracks still there under the pavement in the left turn lane through the potholes, especially at the intersection of Michigan/Trumbull. As far as adding a new light rail line there I don't think that will happen. Too much politics involved. They couldn't even agree to take the new line from downtown all the way to 8 mile like they should have. 

And now Detroit has two "light rail systems to nowhere" !

Ford started allowing "work from home" in the 1990s.  It worked well for some, but others took advantage of it.  No day care needed for your pre-schooler.  And, "I need to run to the store for milk and bread !"

Engineering supervisors need a better way to measure work output.  I also guarantee that anyone trying to "climb the management ladder", need to be in a position to BE SEEN by upper management !

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Ford started allowing "work from home" in the 1990s.  It worked well for some, but others took advantage of it.  No day care needed for your pre-schooler.  And, "I need to run to the store for milk and bread !"

It all depends on the circumstances...those some people running out might extend out their day to finish their work too if they run out. There are lots of people who struggle with it though.

You also didn't have the bandwidth for meetings like you do to today 

It all depends on your management.   I've worked for a remote supervisor (at least 8 ) for the last 20 years and been promoted multiple times as an individual contributor but yeah, if you want to be a VP one day you'll usually need a lot of face time.

I've always had a flex schedule so running an errand or shifting my schedule has never been an issue, but our executives made it explicitly clear that with everyone working from home that's not only ok but recommended.  Especially for employees with kids at home.   What matters is that you're able to get your job done without impacting others.  It's refreshing to have executives that think that way now.   The old ones were still rooted in the 80s and 90s.