Is the Bronco Sport a revised 2012 Ford Escape?

edselford

Looking at the new Bronco Sport reminds me of my wife’s 2012 Ford Escape. The dimensions are very close and the look is very similar except for the grille!

obviously the 2012 Escape had a 2.5 NA I4 and a 4 speed automatic. The new Bronco Sport has the 8 speed and ecoboost I3 or I4

what do you guys think?

edselford

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The AWD system in the Bronco Sport is much more suited to the off-road mission than the second generation Escape ever was. If I wanted to replace my 2012 Subaru Forester XT with the current lineup of CUV's in 2020 or 2021, the Bronco Sport would be my first choice over the Jeep competitors. Unfortunately, Ford's AWD systems aren't my preference as I very much prefer symmetrical AWD from Subaru. Subaru no longer offers the same AWD systems found in their older vehicles (like my vehicle) but that's not a bad thing because it's doing wonders for their profit and market share. With that said, the amount of AWD systems in the CUV segment today that can AND allows the drivetrain to transfer power diagonally even on a steep incline is literally single digits these days. To me, that is the most important factor to consider when you even begin to think about buying an AWD-equipped CUV. Otherwise, for my needs, the drivetrain loss, MPG penalty, weight penalty, and maintenance that comes with an AWD that doesn't do what I need it to do isn't worth it.

For other people, the above is never an issue let alone a consideration but I'm certainly glad Ford hasn't given up trying to compete with Jeep. I don't need to hear "most people don't need AWD" because need is not the only thing that has ever driven a buying decision in our country. There are so many people who assume that just because "I didn't get stuck today heading to work" or "my car never slips" automatically means the AWD system is the best. I certainly would not want them buying my next vehicle, let's just say that. I'm not trying to insult those who only think of their vehicles as appliances. There is not wrong with thinking your vehicle is the same as an appliance and anyone who says otherwise I would be wary of. However there are plenty of things to consider when you think about buying a CUV with AWD vs a CUV with FWD. I'm not talking about needs. I'm specifically referencing if the AWD system can do what you'll need it to do when you seriously need it.

There's a difference between knowing how to use your AWD system and what your AWD system is physically capable of. Momentum can get you out of most situations which absolutely should NOT be confused with the actual capability of an AWD system. Ford has, in my opinion, proven they understand that difference as best they can in this CUV segment (and price range) with the Bronco Sport. Obviously I don't know everything about the AWD system but it is absolutely certain this is a Jeep Cherokee competitor in terms of AWD capability. Obviously the Cherokee has things the Bronco Sport doesn't but no one else comes close to competing with the Jeep Cherokee in the CUV/sub-CUV segment anymore these days and that is the important part to remember.

Obviously if you go up the segment into mid-size crossovers, the Grand Cherokee has the 4Runner as competition. Some people will say that's not apples to apples because it's unibody vs body on frame but those people don't dictate what I can compare against one another. However, after Subaru dropped their 4EAT from their AWD systems, Jeep was the only one left standing in the CUV (or sub-CUV) segment that didn't require a manual transmission. Toyota and Honda have stepped up their AWD game in the RAV4 and CR-V in the current generations but both are no where near where Subaru used to be in terms of AWD capability. Ford unfortunately was never at that level in the CUV segment. That changes with the Bronco Sport.

I'm not going to go out and buy a Bronco Sport because it's definitely lacking things I want in my next vehicle. However, it's nice that I have a backup plan now if I don't want to buy a 4Runner or Jeep Cherokee as a last resort.

Edited by Zhenocnra

On 9/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, edselford said:

Looking at the new Bronco Sport reminds me of my wife’s 2012 Ford Escape. The dimensions are very close and the look is very similar except for the grille!

obviously the 2012 Escape had a 2.5 NA I4 and a 4 speed automatic. The new Bronco Sport has the 8 speed and ecoboost I3 or I4

what do you guys think?

edselford

Easy answer.  Nope, the Bronco Sport is based on the new C2 modular platform, as is the Escape, Chinese/Europe Focus, and the upcoming Maverick pickup.  The old 2012-era Focus/Escape platform is dead and buried..

• 2 years later...