Did Ford make a mistake killing its sedans?

57 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I just looked up on Ford's website and in my area its a lease deal for $189 a month with $3700 down payment for 24 months or 0% at 60months plus 2K trade assist or $2750 Cash back plus 2K trade assist. Nothing outrageous, because the the financing and cash back deals are about the same end result for money that needs to be put out, just done differently. 

I'm not sure if Ford is going let that happen...the Bronco Sport is limited to about 100K units a year out the gate...the Escape sells double that. Hopefully Ford can make more Hybrids once the Fusion production winds down. Overall its the best value for the Escape. 

Ford will limit production on the BS because of capacity issues at Hemosillo once it gets all of its different products started there. That will also limit the amount of incentives they'll need to add on the BS also, if the demand is good. 

I did not know about the 100k cap....it will be interesting if that gets significantly adjusted post first year...we shall see...stillthink its a superior alternative to the Escape...has something the escape doesn't...character....Escape blends in with the crowd...

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I did not know about the 100k cap....it will be interesting if that gets significantly adjusted post first year...we shall see...stillthink its a superior alternative to the Escape...has something the escape doesn't...character....Escape blends in with the crowd...

Ford stated that they expected 200k sales between the Bronco and Bronco Sport for the first year before they had the reservations in for them. I’m guessing the Bronco numbers alone are significantly higher. 

I think the Escape appeals more to the traditional car buyer then the Bronco Sport will. The BS will be more of an impulse buy or get people who don’t want to pony up for the “real” one. The BS is significantly shorter then the Escape also, which might be a turnoff for families. 

Interesting that Ford is very forthcoming about Bronco reservations but there's zero feedback on 

interest in Bronco Sport, is that just just because it doesn't have any real limitations on available

trims and options in the twelve months?

Edited by jpd80

27 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Bronco Sport is going to compete against the Transit Connect, Maverick and Fusion “Subaru fighter” for production space at Hermosillo. 

They might be able to eek out an extra 20-40k units, but if the Maverick takes off, that might be an issue. 

IMO The weakest of them all will be the Fusion, I think it will be lucky to break 80k units a year. 

I heard TC was nixed and we don’t know where Fusion is going yet.  FRAP is still open.

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

You can't compare the Bronco Sport to the Escape or any other vehicle. It's not going to sell on price. Bronco Sport buyers are going to buy first because of the unique look, the Bronco name, etc. It's an impulse decision for many and not because of price. 

I don’t know why people don’t understand this.  They see it and they want it.  Period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I heard TC was nixed and we don’t know where Fusion is going yet.  FRAP is still open.

But given its last minute stay of execution-sounds like product wasn't slated to be there. 

Why would they nix the TC? They still have another 2-3 years for the VW BEV and I don't understand why Ford would give up 100k+ or even much more of that in small van sales that are based on one of your most important product series.  

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But given its last minute stay of execution-sounds like product wasn't slated to be there. 

Why would they nix the TC? They still have another 2-3 years for the VW BEV and I don't understand why Ford would give up 100k+ or even much more of that in small van sales that are based on one of your most important product series.  

Nixed for Hermosillo, not cancelled.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford stated that they expected 200k sales between the Bronco and Bronco Sport for the first year before they had the reservations in for them. I’m guessing the Bronco numbers alone are significantly higher. 

I think the Escape appeals more to the traditional car buyer then the Bronco Sport will. The BS will be more of an impulse buy or get people who don’t want to pony up for the “real” one. The BS is significantly shorter then the Escape also, which might be a turnoff for families. 

departure angles....

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Gotta make sure you can go over the those parking islands in the Starbucks parking lot, right?

actually, color me impressed with the Sports capabilities...its a lot more off road focused than the Escape...in a significant way. But, yes...much like Raptors going to Grocery stores....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Absolutely! The problem is getting the SE Sport Hybrid that Ford treats as a commodity issue and makes difficult if not impossible to get scheduled.

I'd have to imagine numbers for that will be increased as Fusion hybrid phases out if there is truly a hard "hybrid cap" for Ford overall.

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Interesting that Ford is very forthcoming about Bronco reservations but there's zero feedback on 

interest in Bronco Sport, is that just just because it doesn't have any real limitations on available

trims and options in the twelve months?

I feel like BS is more of an "organic interest" vehicle in the sense that Stacy and Derek will see their friend got one and go check it out and get one, as opposed to Bronco which is more enthusiast-oriented and more folks are anticipating it.

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

VW is set to deliver a Caddy based Transit Connect in Europe,

so it's not too hard to connect the dots..

But at the same time, I wondering why Ford surrendered development of a product they sold I'm guessing at least 150K plus worldwide to a competitor that is profitable to them and is part of your core product group. 

The only other thing I can think of is they think the Maverick, worldwide, would make a better replacement (profitability wise) then the Transit Connect would be. 

46 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But at the same time, I wondering why Ford surrendered development of a product they sold I'm guessing at least 150K plus worldwide to a competitor that is profitable to them and is part of your core product group. 

The only other thing I can think of is they think the Maverick, worldwide, would make a better replacement (profitability wise) then the Transit Connect would be. 

I dunno, sounds like robbing Peter to pay Paul to me

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Am I missing something here? Why are the discussions involving Maverick vs. Transit Connect when they're totally different vehicles serving different customer needs?

The point I was trying to make is that Ford is giving up the Transit Connect for a verison of the VW Caddy in a few years. 

I was trying to figure out the rational of making that decision...the only thing I can come up with is the Maverick might be more profitable of the two products, thus explaining the action they did.

The TC and Maverick both share the same platform and as far as we know Ford isn't giving up its C sized platform anytime soon.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t know why people don’t understand this.  They see it and they want it.  Period.

No, I totally get that they're two different markets, but if you see on an ice cream sandwich on a menu that also has a sundae, a good percentage of people will get the "impulse" to buy the more fun item. There are plenty of people who didn't make their minds up before they went to the dealership or look at offerings on line.

I had a 99 Mercury Sable in 2005 and was planning on getting a Five Hundred to replace it, but that 2005 Mustang spoke very loudly to me...  Two totally different markets, but I chose the more calories that day...

If they never made a Bronco sport, Ford fans may have walked out with an Escape, but now it is coming, so that will flip the script, and bring in people who never were interested in the Escape to begin with.