7.3, 789hp without the blower

12 minutes ago, SteelyD said:

Is the builder going to drag race it? Seems like a big budget build. An old school 434 Cleveland would probably bounce it for less money.

In the video they said they plan to race it in a Fox body. I think Brian Wolfe's bigger goal is to start selling modified 7.3's. Not that many years ago Brian Wolfe was Director of Ford Racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

In the video they said they plan to race it in a Fox body. I think Brian Wolfe's bigger goal is to start selling modified 7.3's. Not that many years ago Brian Wolfe was Director of Ford Racing.

And I would say the target is the professional NHRA crowd??  No clue but this is no longer the "hobby" market or am I mistaken?

On 9/13/2020 at 10:21 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

And I would say the target is the professional NHRA crowd??  No clue but this is no longer the "hobby" market or am I mistaken?

Didn't Evan Smith make a comment during the video about Super Duty trucks? That was probably in jest but I suppose a few truck owners might be interested in more power from their 7.3.

My guess is that the ultimate focus is elsewhere but not necessarily the very limited number of NHRA Ford racers. Once Ford announced they would be selling the 7.3 as a crate motor they needed someone to demonstrate the engine's potential. Enter Brian Wolfe. Why would anyone put a stock Godzilla in their street rod when you can buy a junk yard LS with lots of aftermarket support? If ford wants to sell the 7.3 to the hot rod crowd they need to be competitive with it's power potential. However, it would still be a real stretch to compete with the LS on price. Hell, it would even be a stretch to compete in that market with the millions of other V8s that Ford has produced over the years.

Having said all that, I think a really neat project would be to put a modified 7.3 in any older Ford truck or Bronco. I know how my '75 Bronco runs with a modified 393 ci Windsor. Can you imagine how much fun you could have if you nearly doubled the horsepower?

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

Having said all that, I think a really neat project would be to put a modified 7.3 in any older Ford truck or Bronco. I know how my '75 Bronco runs with a modified 393 ci Windsor. Can you imagine how much fun you could have if you nearly doubled the horsepower?

Man alive, I'd love to have that mill, backed by a man transmission, in my '13. I love my Coyote, but to get double the power with not that much of a weight penalty and no loss of drivability...

On 9/13/2020 at 8:26 AM, blksn8k2 said:

That engine will be very expensive. You could build two 434 Clevelands for what this 7.3 would cost.  Brian Wolfe fumbled Ford's NHRA Pro Stock effort. He was eased out of Ford Performance. He made a poor choice with Larry Morgan's Mirror engine design and embarrassed some Ford brass. He will be going against Ford and the Coyote. Not a good move.

2 hours ago, SteelyD said:

That engine will be very expensive. You could build two 434 Clevelands for what this 7.3 would cost.  Brian Wolfe fumbled Ford's NHRA Pro Stock effort. He was eased out of Ford Performance. He made a poor choice with Larry Morgan's Mirror engine design and embarrassed some Ford brass. He will be going against Ford and the Coyote. Not a good move.

LOL I would like to see you build two 434" clevelands for what 7.3 would cost with the same power level and reliability. And I am a cleveland guy. For the cleveland to go to 434 CI you are into after market blocks for starters, then after market heads, stroker crank kit, custom pistions, etc, ect. I just built a 406 CI cleveland with my block and after market heads. The short block alone with the stroker kit was $7100.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

Here's a link for anyone that wants to take a trip down the Pro Stock engine building rabbit hole:

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/pro-stock-engines-whats-the-secret-to-those-big-power-numbers/

Good article. A bit old but still pretty good. Even though there are a few Mustang in P/S they are all powered by GM DRCE engines. So sad, but I think P/S is dying a slow death anyway.

Edited by coupe3w
  • Sad 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:05 PM, IMSA-XJR9 said:

Thank you!  Pro-Stock was one of my favorites in the Glidden (pinto, thunderbird, probe) days!!

I was at the NHRA Spring Nats in Ohio one of the years when Glidden was running the '70 Mustang  body with Cleveland power. I stood in the pits and watched him tune the engine with one ear listening to the carbs while his wife sat in the car running the throttle. Fun stuff!

• Like 2