Lincoln Buy Back Navigator

Well....I've met the criteria for Lemon Law in Wisconsin -- it's been in 4 times, this last time for over a month.

Have been working with Concierge desk.

They called yesterday to tell me they're sorry, but cannot justify buy back.

One of the things they asked of me was to keep Navigator an additional SIX months -- which would take me thru

the dead of winter in Wisconsin..... I use vehicle several times a week to haul food for our local food pantry, so that's

really not an option if the lift gate won't close. If their engineer couldn't repair at dealer, and asked for 6 months to

rewrite a program ... what should I do?  No, just no!  This is unacceptable on an almost $90K vehicle.

This is my third Navigator -- my husband has had many F-150s and we also have an '88 Mustang with 20,000 miles on it .

Guess it's time to leave Ford/Lincoln?  And to clarify -- I couldn't be happier with my Lincoln dealer and his staff -

they have tried everything. Any ideas who to reach out to next??  Sorry to ramble, but I'm just so disappointed in Lincoln.

We left Cadillac after 15 Cadillacs -- guess I'm beginning to be sorry I left them - they've stood behind their vehicles.

• Sad 1

when I decided I wanted an SUV Lincoln had far better features than Cadillac ....and feel they still do.

We have owned Cadillacs since 1978 (perhaps this explains how we "go through a lot of cars") still have a Cadillac V car which we still

enjoy in the summer.

We have 7 cars ....so there you have it, we like cars.

• Like 1

The liftgate only closes completely on a very irregular basis.  It goes anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 way down and then stops.  Another push of the bottom jerks it another inch or two.

Dealer has replaced module twice, put in I believe it's called a new electrical harness (could be wrong here) after consulting with Lincoln helpline, and engineer/tech was not able to resolve either (that was last week).  Engineer/tech suggested the "rewrite" of software.  I contacted Concierge regarding buy-back.  Gentleman just called yesterday and said "I don't qualify".  It has now been to dealer 4 times and it has now been there (this time) since August 5th.  My main objection to not buying back was #1 ...having undependable, very important function thru the witner months.  I questioned why Lincoln wouldn't want my vehicle back specifically to work on a fix.  Dealer has had others with 2019 Navigator same issue.

You are justified in expecting the vehicle to operate in the manner it's expected to - and it's almost unfathomable that Lincoln/Ford can't figure out how to repair the liftgate mechanism on your Navigator. I can also understand why that feature is so important when you're picking up or delivering food for the local pantry. I can also see the Lincoln side of it, in which they probably view this as a hassle, but not something that prevents driving the vehicle on a daily basis. All that said, I don't blame you if this sours you on Lincoln - it's simply frustrating to buy something (especially at these prices) and then have to deal with failure to perform on a daily basis.

• Like 4

I don't disagree that it should work correctly. I just wonder what Fox Gal expects to get resolved by posting this in multiple forums on this site. Perhaps she is hoping someone has experienced the issue and could provide guidance. I guess that would make sense. 

Mine has stopped halfway a handful of times since I have owned it. I write it off to a sensor being over zealous, something blocking it that I didn't realize was doing so, etc.  However, I have not had a dealer look at it. Obviously the dealer would ensure the area was clear to try to duplicate the issue. 

Edited by Black Label

52 minutes ago, akirby said:

So reach up, grab the door and shut it manually (which is what I presume you're already doing).   How is that a big inconvenience?   How did you survive before we had power liftgates?

I'm old school, don't own anything with a power lift-gate and I survive just fine.  However, the notion that this customer should let this failure slide on a $90K vehicle is absurd.  On a Lincoln everything should work flawlessly and be pleasing to the customer who dropped all that coin for a luxury vehicle. 

I know we sometimes questions these types of posts...but I did see another Lincoln Nav owner out here complaining of the same thing.

Gosh Lincoln - just fix the damn thing for her.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 5

There were many, many questions asked of me ....including by the engineer/tech.

Sensor (twice replaced), harness replaced, and I'm not sure what the engineer/tech did.

That said, yes I placed on several sites looking for suggestions to resolve this issue --

I have taken it directly to dealer without shutting off the motor and they were indeed able to duplicate the issue on two instances.

I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it or that it's not a minor inconvenience, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to buy back a brand new vehicle if it's a known problem and minor inconvenience they're working on, even if it takes a few months.  

Now all that said, I've said repeatedly that Lincoln should adopt a no questions asked buyback policy - if you're not happy within 6 months they buy it back minus a fair monthly usage fee or up to a year if you're having problems they can't fix in a reasonable amount of time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

So reach up, grab the door and shut it manually (which is what I presume you're already doing).   How is that a big inconvenience?   How did you survive before we had power liftgates?

The OP should be able to use all features of the vehicle as intended....and I may add it doesn't matter if it's a $15,000.00 vehicle or a $90,000.00 one. The features should work as designed.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Black Label said:

I'll be curious if it does ultimately get fixed. If so, I'd hope @Fox Lake Gal posts what did finally resolve it. 

I’m here for the final resolution details as well.  I also agree that if our 2020 Navigator was in the shop for a month to resolve what seems to be a simple issue, I would be irritated.  

Edited by 02MustangGT
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I’m here for the final resolution details as well.  I also agree that if our 2020 Navigator was in the shop for a month to resolve what seems to be a simple issue, I would be irritated as well.  

I'm having what I believe are software issues with my radio display and a couple other things. I have had it addressed a couple times already.  I'm frustrated over it, so I understand her frustration with this. I'm not ready to sell back the vehicle though. 

Edited by Black Label
  • Like 1

Hi Fox Lake Gal. Lincoln/Ford have refused to voluntarily buy back your vehicle, That does not mean you can not proceed with a forced Lemon Law buyback.

What you need to do next is take out the Warranty Guide that you were given when you purchased your vehicle, read it, and follow the procedure to begin a Lemon Law Buyback. This will usually begin with a BBB Arbitration, which is non-binding on you and binding on Lincoln/Ford. Then you can move to the Lemon Law buyback if necessary.

Your particular state may also have additional consumer protections and requirements, so you will need to research those particulars for yourself.

Those are the next steps. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

The OP should be able to use all features of the vehicle as intended....and I may add it doesn't matter if it's a $15,000.00 vehicle or a $90,000.00 one. The features should work as designed.

Nobody said she shouldn't.  They're working on a permanent fix.  The issue was whether it constituted a major issue or minor inconvenience and whether a buyback should be expected.

For most it would be a very minor inconvenience but I can see how it would be a major pain for some people.   I already said I think they should offer a buy back anyway.

• Like 1

I'll keep you posted as this goes on.

Has been in & out of the shop since beginning of April with the same issue ?

I depend on vehicle for a lot of pick up & delivery for food pantry, especially now with COVID.

Too many seniors unable to go out, so we're delivering to them -- and that's a lot of tailgate fails in any given week.

Edited by Fox Lake Gal
added info
  • Like 2

Hey LakeGal, Use that nav money and get yourself a ford expedition max, if your unwilling to try the nav again.  They drive similar. The 2018 i had that was a 1st run build had very minimal problems considering, and no functional ones.  Most all ppl who own my20 expys on the expy forum love them with no problems.  Most early issues(like the liftgate that plagues navs) have been worked out.  And platinum expys have massage option on a more universally comfy seat design.  The early build 2021 gms are giving their customers fits as well due to tranny issues and other new problems, so i doubt an escalade will be more reliable, esp a 2021.  You probably could due a landcruiser if you need reliability, but i dont think it has any useful or usable cargo space for you.  A toyota sequoia will, but nowhere near as comfy as a expy or navi.  Sorry your nav was giving you issues, but if it was 1 bad car out of 15, i dnt think lincoln was the issue, just more the truck you bought. Remember, theres more navs out there with no problems than ones with.  Good luck finding a replacement and thank you for your selfless work helping ppl in need.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

Hey LakeGal, Use that nav money and get yourself a ford expedition max, if your unwilling to try the nav again.  They drive similar. The 2018 i had that was a 1st run build had very minimal problems considering, and no functional ones.  Most all ppl who own my20 expys on the expy forum love them with no problems.  Most early issues(like the liftgate that plagues navs) have been worked out.  And platinum expys have massage option on a more universally comfy seat design.  

Conversely, my wife’s coworker purchased a 2020 Expedition Limited this year.  We purchased a 2020 Navigator in May.  Guess which vehicle has been in the shop for a myriad of issues (liftgate, sun roof, etc)?   You guessed it, our 2020 Nav has been problem free while the 2020 Expy has been prone to issues.  These vehicles are assembled at the same factory using mostly shared components.  Point is, just because a Nav has an issue doesn’t make the Expy a better choice.  We are certainly enjoying our Lincoln’s trouble free miles, better ride/NVH, infinitely better interior, more powerful 3.5 EB, and the list goes on....

Edited by 02MustangGT
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Conversely, my wife’s coworker purchased a 2020 Expedition Limited this year.  We purchased a 2020 Navigator in May.  Guess which vehicle has been in the shop for a myriad of issues (liftgate, sun roof, etc)?   You guessed it, our 2020 Nav has been problem free while the 2020 Expy has been prone to issues.  These vehicles are assembled at the same factory using mostly shared components.  Point is, just because a Nav has an issue doesn’t make the Expy a better choice.  We are certainly enjoying our Lincoln’s trouble free miles, better ride/NVH, infinitely better interior, more powerful 3.5 EB, and the list goes on....

Yep. I fly Airbus A320 aircraft and flew private jets. All built the same but all buggy in their own ways.