Engine Issues ...again

carsandboats

Took delivery of my New Aviator at the end of April.  At about 300 miles the engine failed (previous post, block cast problem, bad oil leak).  It now has just over 7,000 miles on it. Yesterday when leaving work, i cranked i over and the engine rattled loudly for about 5 seconds at most.  It also skips when auto start engages engine on.   If it sits for a few hours it will make the loud noise again.  Oil level is ok.  Leaving at dealer tomorrow but called to report the issue today

Also having less concerning issues, still important though:

* driver and passengers windows going up will make a hard metal to metal snap sound, happens about 75% of the time the window is closed. the 

* at 70-75 mph the hood moves, shakes around, very annoying

* drivers door latch out of alignment, auto close wont work because of it.

* e-brake comes on for no reason at any speed.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues.

*  when reversing, brakes slam on for  no apparent reason.

Could be a timing chain, bad chain tensioner, or low oil pressure on start up with slack in tensioner until oil builds up pressure. I have a 2001 jaguar that will do this rattle from the chain when I would use a lesser oil filter or oil filter with a bad back flow valve. The oil filter would empty when cold and the oil pump would need to fill the filter before pressure would rise in the vehicle. So the chain tensioners which have some hydraulic lift would be slack, and chain would be slack and rattle for a second or 2 til pressure built up. I use filters with only the orange silicone backflow valves and it solves it. 

I believe the 3.0 ecoboost doesn't have cartridge filters but only paper filters, so it's not the filter, but temporary low pressure may be the issue.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:  After bringing to dealer right after posting, the noise continues.  The dry start rattle is up to about 7 seconds from 5.  Now the transmission between 20 and 30 mph has a distinct rattling sound.  Windows are still snapping after closing.  The dealer says all of my problems are not happening when they have it.  When i picked it up from having the dry start up checked they said it didnt happen to them.  When i picked it up it rattled for me and has done so on every cold start or after it sits for an hour.  I dont trust it.

On 10/27/2020 at 6:36 PM, carsandboats said:

UPDATE:  After bringing to dealer right after posting, the noise continues.  The dry start rattle is up to about 7 seconds from 5.  Now the transmission between 20 and 30 mph has a distinct rattling sound.  Windows are still snapping after closing.  The dealer says all of my problems are not happening when they have it.  When i picked it up from having the dry start up checked they said it didnt happen to them.  When i picked it up it rattled for me and has done so on every cold start or after it sits for an hour.  I dont trust it.

If you live in the USA - it’s time to speak to an attorney regarding your state’s lemon law (or research the law for you state on line).

Good luck.

Sounds like a stretched timing chain or bad chain tensioners. That won't get better without fairly major surgery.Tthe windows sounds like an issue with the guides, will never go away, the door should have been fixed but will need a bodyshop to rehang the door and the same with the hood. 

I would use your phone to film all of the issues to be able to show them the sounds and hood movement. 

As stated above, it sounds like lemon law time.