Truck news coming Monday-Ranger Tremor

I think there is also a Tremor package on F250 but not F150, which is a bit odd (maybe that will change with the new one coming out later this year)

So basically, Ford is now adding an new tier of offroad performance in its trucks.

Basic 4x4 --> FX4 --> Tremor --> Raptor

Edited by bzcat

10 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think there is also a Tremor package on F250 but not F150, which is a bit odd (maybe that will change with the new one coming out later this year)

F150 has the Raptor, Super Duty doesn't.   So Tremor on SD makes sense and will probably show up on F150 eventually.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I figured this is all it would be.   "cool truck news" doesn't sound like anything big.

Something like F-150 BEV would've elicited bigger fanfare, and something Bronco related would've been termed "Bronco news".

This IS "cool truck news".  Just not "big truck news".  ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

F150 has the Raptor, Super Duty doesn't.   So Tremor on SD makes sense and will probably show up on F150 eventually.

So I wonder what happens in 2023 with the ranger? Will they keep tremor around with the ranger raptor coming? The Colorado zr2 starts at 44,590. If the ranger raptor is similar in price to the zr2, then the tremor is a nice mid level off-roader slotting between fx4 and raptor. If the raptor comes in higher than the zr2, then maybe the tremor becomes the zr2’s competition and the raptor is in a league of its own.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

So I wonder what happens in 2023 with the ranger? Will they keep tremor around with the ranger raptor coming? The Colorado zr2 starts at 44,590. If the ranger raptor is similar in price to the zr2, then the tremor is a nice mid level off-roader slotting between fx4 and raptor. If the raptor comes in higher than the zr2, then maybe the tremor becomes the zr2’s competition and the raptor is in a league of its own.

Well, Tremor is just a package like FX4 that you can add to either XLT or Lariat, whereas ZR2 is a trim level/sub model like Raptor. So you have to consider the standard equipment. I believe Ford is positioning the Tremor against ZR2. Raptor will surpass it. 

I read somewhere else that Tremor package is about $4,000 so it will be at least $38k (XLT 4x4 without other options) or just under $50k with all the options on a Lariat. I think Ranger Raptor (next gen) will for sure be more expensive than ZR2. Probably looking at $50k to start (F-150 Raptor starts at around $60k). 

Edited by bzcat

I hope now that the Tremor package is available on the Ranger and Superduty, it is a prelude to it being available on the F150 to compete with the Chevy Trail Boss package.  I see tons of those packages on their entry level model Through their LTZ package.  It definitely enhances the Chevy’s look. 

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Im sure they’ll keep Tremor and Raptor and probably add it to F150.

Edited by akirby

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I hope now that the Tremor package is available on the Ranger and Superduty, it is a prelude to it being available on the F150 to compete with the Chevy Trail Boss package.  I see tons of those packages on their entry level model Through their LTZ package.  It definitely enhances the Chevy’s look. 

Trail Boss is more FX4 isn't it?

37 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Trail Boss is more FX4 isn't it?

I think it is better than the FX4 package, but I misspoke earlier, it is not a standalone package across all trims. It is treated like a model within LT and Custom packages.   

With that said, the Trail Boss package gets you a two-inch lift, aggressive 18-inch Goodyear Duratrac tires,  skid plates, a locking rear differential, a two-speed transfer case, and Rancho shock absorbers.  I can’t easily brake out the price separately, but there is basically a $10k plus price difference between the base models (Custom, LT) and their Trail Boss variants.  

The FX4 Off-Road Package includes electronic-locking rear differential, Hill Descent Control, off-road tuned shock absorbers, skid plates and “FX4 Off-Road” decal, for $1,005 on the 2021 model.   No lift or major increase In tire size. 

The Chevy’s price jump is pretty substantial over the FX4 package, so it isn’t an exactly a fair comparison, but it does present Ford with an opportunity to undercut the Trail Boss with the Tremor package and have it available on all trim lines. 

9 hours ago, akirby said:

The previous F-150 Tremor went over about like a fart in church, largely perceived as too much cost for what you actually got and not living up to its promised performance, so it doesn't really surprise me that they're bracketing the F-150 at this point. They need it to do well in the Super Duty and Ranger before they can bring it back to the F-150.

7 hours ago, tbone said:

That's not a hard thing to do lol  Pretty much anything helps in that department.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

The previous F-150 Tremor went over about like a fart in church, largely perceived as too much cost for what you actually got and not living up to its promised performance, so it doesn't really surprise me that they're bracketing the F-150 at this point. They need it to do well in the Super Duty and Ranger before they can bring it back to the F-150.

Well, to be fair, the previous use of the Tremor package on F-150 is far different than what's seen on Ranger and Super Duty.

In F-150's application, they basically made a new Lightning lite by stuffing the 3.5EB motor into a regular cab model.  In today's market, that's not going to sell anything.  If it doesn't offer a crew cab these days, it won't have legs.  That's why we saw it re-used in a different form on the Ranger and Super Duty (sort of Raptor-lite) and I think we'll see it on F-150 too.

On another note regarding the old F-150 Tremor, I do think that there's a market for a Lightning type offering, but it has to have a crew cab model.

8 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

As pointed out it would be a different package than the previous one and would sit above FX4.

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

As pointed out it would be a different package than the previous one and would sit above FX4.

The package itself is irrelevant. The name is what's tarnished, so it makes sense for them to let it sit until it has had a chance to recover. If it succeeds in the Super Duty and Ranger, it won't be long before it returns to the F-150.

38 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

The package itself is irrelevant. The name is what's tarnished, so it makes sense for them to let it sit until it has had a chance to recover. If it succeeds in the Super Duty and Ranger, it won't be long before it returns to the F-150.

I bet that most people don't know it ever existed in the first place.   But it's moot as you say - as long as it works on SD and Ranger then it will work fine on F150 too.

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

I bet that most people don't know it ever existed in the first place.   But it's moot as you say - as long as it works on SD and Ranger then it will work fine on F150 too.

Most people, maybe, but truck guys (the ones they want to target with a package like this) are more like Mustang buyers than Camcord buyers--they tend to know about this stuff. There's a reason the F-150s still have as much configurability and options as they do.

Mind you, I'm not saying the Tremor name is an albatross hanging around the F-150's neck; if the package is good enough, the name would be more of a bump in the road than an actual road block. After all, Ranger was covered with the stink of the Edsel debacle in 1960, but a short five years later it was a high-trim F-100. I'm just thinking that letting the name rest is probably playing a role in not applying it to the heart of the truck lineup,

The other thing...I haven't done a detailed comparison, but what would the Tremor package get you that the FX/4 doesn't, aside from the shocks and springs? It might be a better investment for Ford to just add those as options for the FX/4 package...

Edited by SoonerLS
Damn you, autoincorrect

36 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

The other thing...I haven't done a detailed comparison, but what would the Tremor package get you that the FX/4 doesn't, aside from the shocks and springs? It might be a better investment for Ford to just add those as options for the FX/4 package...

Shocks, springs, auxilliary switches, wider stance, seat covers and other trim and graphics.

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Shocks, springs, auxilliary switches, wider stance, seat covers and other trim and graphics.

Basically, that makes the Tremor a Raptor without the name (or 3.5HO). That probably has more to do with the lack of an F-150 Tremor than anything--the folks who want to split the difference between an FX/4 and a Raptor are going to be a mighty fine slice of the market.

Edited by SoonerLS