Built for America Live event

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

After seeing it again it might be the current gen...try about the 20 minute mark as the '21 F-150 drives out of the plant

That was the current one.

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What’s with the light bar? 

I guess the electric one will have it.

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know why they're bothering having this event touting the EV F-150 with nothing to actually show, and it 2 years off.

Seems like the Bronco - teasing too early.

Probably to placate Wall Street.  GM, and others, have been very aggressive lately in promoting their EV plans.  Ford, probably, doesn't want to get left behind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know why they're bothering having this event touting the EV F-150 with nothing to actually show, and it 2 years off.

Political reasons, mostly. 

To go a bit deeper, they're *finally* looking at their external comms efforts as a holistic calendar... plotting things where they feel impact will be maximized. They have a LOT coming in the next 2 years, and getting this information on the radar (enthusiasts notwithstanding) now is a good thing.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Well to be fair the electric F-150 will be out in about 18 -20  months. The Bronco was announced over 4+ years from when production will start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

I wondered if the design language of the Electric F-150 would be like the ICE truck, or whether they do something totally different.  Looks like they may be giving the truck its own look.

It won't be a radical departure, but different enough to where you know it's unique.

Looks to me like it'll still have a 2 bar grille with the oval in the middle and similar headlights but with a lightbar across.  I'm a bit surprised the headlights don't have a C clamp shape to them, though.

I'd imagine the bumper will be similar to other models.

56 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It won't be a radical departure, but different enough to where you know it's unique.

Looks to me like it'll still have a 2 bar grille with the oval in the middle and similar headlights but with a lightbar across.  I'm a bit surprised the headlights don't have a C clamp shape to them, though.

I'd imagine the bumper will be similar to other models.

I think they'll be going for a different look.  With no ICE to worry about, the designers can be much more creative on how the style the front end, as well as the rest of the vehicle.  Look at Rivian pickup as an example.  Like it or not, it has a presence.  Ford seems to be giving their designers much more freedom to be different.  Look at the Mach-E and Broncos.  

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

10 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Probably to placate Wall Street.  GM, and others, have been very aggressive lately in promoting their EV plans.  Ford, probably, doesn't want to get left behind.

NOOOO, not again! haha.

I get needing to keep the investors happy... I guess. I just don't like seeing Ford repeating the same old mistakes like this.  It hasn't even been long enough to forget the last time they did this!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mackinaw said:

I think they'll be going for a different look.  With no ICE to worry about, the designers can be much more creative on how the style the front end, as well as the rest of the vehicle.  Look at Rivian pickup as an example.  Like it or not, it has a presence.  Ford seems to be giving their designers much more freedom to be different.  Look at the Mach-E and Broncos.  

The Mach-E and Broncos are unique vehicles.  This is still an F-150, even if a unique model - a la Raptor.  So yes, It'll be different, but still in line with Ford truck - and more specifically F-150 - DNA. 

You can clearly see in the teaser the two bar setup between the headlights, with the bars having some sort of textured triangular/diamond pattern.  The bumper also looks to be the same as I pointed out earlier

image.thumb.png.cb08dd299b6211a911e1b2ebf69ab64f.png

image.thumb.png.095a62824d3bfdf8203fb12950571903.png

7 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

So if they're building a new plant on the grounds of the Rouge complex, is the electric F150 a totally different platform from the regular trucks? Is it a "skateboard" that can't be built with regular trucks?

BORG (judge the source how you wish) claims that it's a unique platform with IRS.

I personally think it's not as unique as he makes it out to be (he has a tendency to exaggerate), and think it's "unique" in the sense that it has been modified to accommodate battery storage in between the frame rails.

You know, if it has IRS, I wonder if it's just Expedition's platform with an F-150 body on it - I don't see any way they're going to give it a 100% unique body - unique front end sure, unique tailgate yeah, maybe a unique interior (or at least a modified one), but not all new.

Edited by rmc523

36 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

BORG (judge the source how you wish) claims that it's a unique platform with IRS.

I personally think it's not as unique as he makes it out to be (he has a tendency to exaggerate), and think it's "unique" in the sense that it has been modified to accommodate battery storage in between the frame rails.

You know, if it has IRS, I wonder if it's just Expedition's platform with an F-150 body on it - I don't see any way they're going to give it a 100% unique body - unique front end sure, unique tailgate yeah, maybe a unique interior (or at least a modified one), but not all new.

I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure PD has said the same thing and we know his track record is pretty solid

20 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

So if they're building a new plant on the grounds of the Rouge complex, is the electric F150 a totally different platform from the regular trucks? Is it a "skateboard" that can't be built with regular trucks?

Here's what has been reported:

The body of an electric F-150 will be produced on the existing line then “exit the plant and take a left turn,” said Johnson, moved by autonomous “sled” to the new, 500,000 square-foot plant where it will be mated to a unique, skateboard-like platform containing the battery pack and electric drivetrain system.

The approach avoids the costly makeover of the existing F-150 plans and “gives us flexibility,” said Johnson who acknowledged that the operation eventually could produce other electrified Ford products.

The 'Johnson' quoted is Gary Johnson, Ford's manufacturing chief.

Interesting plant details:

The plan is to highly automate the updated Rouge facility, located a few miles from Ford headquarters in the western Detroit suburb of Dearborn.

Along with the autonomous sleds, there will be “collaborative robots,” a technology Ford first pioneered at a plant in Cologne, Germany. Where most factory robots handle big jobs, such as welding and painting, and most be carefully fenced off for safety reasons, the new Ford robots will be stationed side-by-side with human workers to assist with difficult chores, doing tasks that might otherwise lead to strains and injuries, Johnson explained.

More interesting details at the link: https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2020/09/ford-investing-700m-to-set-up-ev-plant-at-historic-rouge-complex/

Edited by Harley Lover