Unifor contract update

The deadline is at midnight  and we have been told not to walk off the line when our contract expires at 11:59. Press conference was supposed to be today at 3pm, it got delayed til tomorrow Sept 22 at 10am. The government is saying that they’re gonna invest 500 million Canadian into OAC for EV production. I find all of this interesting. No agreement has been publicly announced as Dias still saying they’re far apart on some issues. Word is Ford wants to invest 2 billion into OAC. I’m surprised at all this EV talk especially since Ohio is slated to get Electric SUV production. I thought maybe new edge new nautilus possibly fusion active. Will know lots more in the next couple days 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

The deadline is at midnight  and we have been told not to walk off the line when our contract expires at 11:59. Press conference was supposed to be today at 3pm, it got delayed til tomorrow Sept 22 at 10am. The government is saying that they’re gonna invest 500 million Canadian into OAC for EV production. I find all of this interesting. No agreement has been publicly announced as Dias still saying they’re far apart on some issues. Word is Ford wants to invest 2 billion into OAC. I’m surprised at all this EV talk especially since Ohio is slated to get Electric SUV production. I thought maybe new edge new nautilus possibly fusion active. Will know lots more in the next couple days 

Think about how much Ford has been talking about electrification. OHAP is just one small piece of that puzzle. If they turn OAC into something of a BEV specialized facility that could mean good things in the future in terms of long term security of the facility itself provided BEVs take off like they hope. The fear is BEVs are much less complex and require less manpower to build so there's definitely job security concerns there. 

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Think about how much Ford has been talking about electrification. OHAP is just one small piece of that puzzle. If they turn OAC into something of a BEV specialized facility that could mean good things in the future in terms of long term security of the facility itself provided BEVs take off like they hope. The fear is BEVs are much less complex and require less manpower to build so there's definitely job security concerns there. 

I just wonder if they’re really just gonna make electric here in the future. I can’t see them running from regular engines totally just yet. I think it will be a mixture here. Like regular internal combustion engines and EV variants. I’m also shocked at the amount the federal and provincial governments are offering Ford. I’ve never heard of a 500 million dollar contribution from the govts in all my years here! Project is 2 billion total I heard. We’re still in the dark as the deal isn’t done yet even though the presser is tmw at 10am.

53 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Well wild thought.  That was the published word on OAP.  However now there is word there is going to be a new 650/750 for '23.  No doubt, the current trucks still use the old SD steel cab.  Plus the E cut aways still carry on with old E series architecture.  Some of us have suggested might be time for a new purpose built cab that works for both products.

Plus Farley has made much about the importance of Commercial vehicles in ford's future.  Hopefully that means more than light trucks and Transits.

Hopefully just might be a need for OAC

6 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I just wonder if they’re really just gonna make electric here in the future. I can’t see them running from regular engines totally just yet. I think it will be a mixture here. Like regular internal combustion engines and EV variants.

We did it a MAP for years. Before we retooled for Ranger we were one of the few (possibly only) assembly plants in the world capable of building Gas, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and full electric cars all on the same assembly line. It would be a great benefit to Ford to have a plant with that kind of flexibility again, even better if the Canadian and provincial governments are going to pay them to do it. Combine that with how flexible these new architectures are it sounds like a really good deal for you guys, provided that's actually what is going to happen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

We did it a MAP for years. Before we retooled for Ranger we were one of the few (possibly only) assembly plants in the world capable of building Gas, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and full electric cars all on the same assembly line. It would be a great benefit to Ford to have a plant with that kind of flexibility again, even better if the Canadian and provincial governments are going to pay them to do it. Combine that with how flexible these new architectures are it sounds like a really good deal for you guys, provided that's actually what is going to happen. 

Exactly, let’s see if it’s actually gonna happen first. Yes, I remember MAP had CMAX FOCUS and Hybrid and electric versions as well. If the Government is putting up this much money this seems like a long term deal when completed.

15 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well wild thought.  That was the published word on OAP.  However now there is word there is going to be a new 650/750 for '23.  No doubt, the current trucks still use the old SD steel cab.  Plus the E cut aways still carry on with old E series architecture.  Some of us have suggested might be time for a new purpose built cab that works for both products.

Plus Farley has made much about the importance of Commercial vehicles in ford's future.  Hopefully that means more than light trucks and Transits.

I always wondered why Ford would have to EVs slated for production that are the same size as the Edge and Nautilus and not built them in Oakville. There is a lot of politics in all these decisions. 

35 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I just wonder if they’re really just gonna make electric here in the future. I can’t see them running from regular engines totally just yet. I think it will be a mixture here. Like regular internal combustion engines and EV variants. I’m also shocked at the amount the federal and provincial governments are offering Ford. I’ve never heard of a 500 million dollar contribution from the govts in all my years here! Project is 2 billion total I heard. We’re still in the dark as the deal isn’t done yet even though the presser is tmw at 10am.

If there's as much government funding as you're hearing, I would think that'd definitely indicate some sort of electrification, IMO - it fits with the climate agendas many governments have - i.e. they may be willing to put more in than normal because it's "good for the environment" and other things like that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

If there's as much government funding as you're hearing, I would think that'd definitely indicate some sort of electrification, IMO - it fits with the climate agendas many governments have - i.e. they may be willing to put more in than normal because it's "good for the environment" and other things like that.

I agree with you, the government is pushing for this. I believe the amount is absolutely contingent on electrification coming to Oakville. I just wonder what the hell will be electric. Edge? Nautilus?? Unknown new product?? Will the mysterious Fusion Active, if it even comes here be gas and electric?? 

55 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I agree with you, the government is pushing for this. I believe the amount is absolutely contingent on electrification coming to Oakville. I just wonder what the hell will be electric. Edge? Nautilus?? Unknown new product?? Will the mysterious Fusion Active, if it even comes here be gas and electric?? 

It is not lost on the Canadian government what happened to Australia, once one closes the rest start to fall like dominoes over the subsequent years. It’s smart and needed for the government to step it. It’s changes the equation drastically when you get support. Canada is very smart; they as a whole are going after electric car investment as they see that as the future. 

If it wasn’t for the fact that we have the mighty USA as a direct land connected neighbour maybe the Australia situation would be here already. I hope our government doesn’t just dump 500 million to FOMOCO then ford says FU in a few years and pulls out. If all this is true as reported this will be the largest government contribution to this factory ever as far as I know. Electric may be the future but regular gas engines aren’t going away anytime soon. Ford reduced their footprint in Canada years ago, GM now is down to one assembly left and FCA has two. I’m sure they will want money too, gonna be interesting. Looks like the Canadian government is ready to invest over a billion into these plants to hold on to the few remaining assembly plants in Canada. Toyota has 2 and Honda has one but job security isn’t an issue with them.

Sisters and Brothers,

This has been a long day for you all and we have all been eagerly awaiting a tentative agreement with the company. The bargaining committee has asked that we all remain on our jobs for the time being. 

A deal is not yet firm and they have asked that we do not walk off of the job until it is seen that a deal can or cannot be reached. By walking prematurely, it jeopardizes any gains that we may have been able to achieve. 

Unifor has posted on their twitter feed that Unifor’s master committee has decided to continue bargaining with Ford Canada and extend the strike deadline. 

At this point in time there is no new date and/or time as to when the new deadline will be. That is what we just got from our union

2 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Well, I fully expect Edge/Nautilus to at least have hybrid models available, and wouldn't be surprised if PHEVs make an appearance.

I'd also count on that Fusion active to get both the hybrid/PHEV treatment as well.

I also think we'll ultimately see the midsize BEVs go to Oakville.  The announced location for them makes no sense to me with the other products already there.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Well, I fully expect Edge/Nautilus to at least have hybrid models available, and wouldn't be surprised if PHEVs make an appearance.

I'd also count on that Fusion active to get both the hybrid/PHEV treatment as well.

I also think we'll ultimately see the midsize BEVs go to Oakville.  The announced location for them makes no sense to me with the other products already there.

I never thought that made sense, even when they said they were going to flat rock initially. Ya I guess they’re expanding their range of EV products 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

That does make sense what you said regarding the Ohio plants. I been reading in other threads about talks of new Medium Duty for 2023 along with the purpose-built cab which I'm wondering if incoming CEO Farley made some changes to the Ohio plans to include the two latter. Sounds like he has plans for more of commercial vehicles built at Ohio meaning the previously-planned BEVs to be there are now moved to Oakville hence the longer-than-planned Ford/UNIFOR talks. Whatever happens, though, I hope means Oakville keeps running and that workers can keep working. Maybe even add more jobs there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

That does make sense what you said regarding the Ohio plants. I been reading in other threads about talks of new Medium Duty for 2023 along with the purpose-built cab which I'm wondering if incoming CEO Farley made some changes to the Ohio plans to include the two latter. Sounds like he has plans for more of commercial vehicles built at Ohio meaning the previously-planned BEVs to be there are now moved to Oakville hence the longer-than-planned Ford/UNIFOR talks. Whatever happens, though, I hope means Oakville keeps running and that workers can keep working. Maybe even add more jobs there.

The talks are also longer probably because they have to iron out other issues as well. We’re still here working away as instructed by the union reps. I hope we get a decent deal in addition to potential new products. 

• Like 3

• $1.95 billion in combined investment in the Oakville and Windsor plants;
  • Oakville gets a $1.8-billion retooling to build electric vehicles;
  • Oakville will build five models of electric vehicles;
  • The five EVs built in Oakville will roll off the line between 2025 and 2028;
  • Oakville will assemble batteries, creating 300 jobs;
  • Retooling of the Oakville plant begins in 2024.
  • Like 1