Unifor contract update

20 minutes ago, twintornados said:

7.3L is already built at Windsor...6.8L seems like an odd number to go to when building a derivative of "Godzilla"...

I can't imagine it would be that much better on fuel economy so what's the advantage?   Lower height to fit in smaller vehicles?

I'll say again there is no way it's going into a Mustang.

Personally, I just don't see the return on investment for a 6.8.  The physical size means Super Duty only.  Sure some idiot will shoe horn into a Mustang.  But Ford OE will never put that large of an engine in a Mustang.

It'll just be cheaper to drop the 6.2 all together and sell the 7.3L only for gasser in the SD.  It's not like CAFE makes a difference.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

I can't imagine it would be that much better on fuel economy so what's the advantage?   Lower height to fit in smaller vehicles?

I'll say again there is no way it's going into a Mustang.

Either Dias misspoke or Ford has something interesting coming in 2022.

10 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Personally, I just don't see the return on investment for a 6.8.  The physical size means Super Duty only.  Sure some idiot will shoe horn into a Mustang.  But Ford OE will never put that large of an engine in a Mustang.

It'll just be cheaper to drop the 6.2 all together and sell the 7.3L only for gasser in the SD.  It's not like CAFE makes a difference.

And that was the plan, delivering the 7.3 in three different power levels but to now link F150 and Mustang

to a new 6.8 V8 in 2022 is a revelation that no one was expecting,  Dias could have misspoke I guess but

if this is true, the holy gospel according to Ford will now have to be rewritten.

Externally, Godzilla is more compact than Coyote and will fit in F150 and Mustang  with a low profile intake,

I'm curious how this new 6.8 would fit under CAFE, there must be cylinder deactivation to get decent FE.

Edited by jpd80

13 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

A hypothetical 6.8L occurring in the F-150- what happens to the Coyote then as an option in that exact truck?

Does one have to replace the other, could 6.8 be an Apex engine limited to certain models?

Also, Coyote sales in F150 have been reducing in the past few years, it's now less than 30% of total sales

so what's that going to be like in two or three years time....

Clearly, Ford is discussing something with UNIFOR that's out in the press for sizzle

but still a lot of missing details that will come out once the contract is ratified.

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Does one have to replace the other, could 6.8 be an Apex engine limited to certain models?

That's what I'm wondering myself... but it is hard for me to imagine with the recent emphasis on Powerboost, the HO Ecoboost, etc. over the past few years. As a V-8 fan, I'm certainly not complaining. I think this engine is an intriguing possibility.

9 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

That's what I'm wondering myself... but it is hard for me to imagine with the recent emphasis on Powerboost, the HO Ecoboost, etc. over the past few years. As a V-8 fan, I'm certainly not complaining. I think this engine is an intriguing possibility.

Until we hear more details, people's minds will be going crazy and that's  the whole intent

of putting out there during contract negotiations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Until we hear more details, people's minds will be going crazy and that's  the whole intent

Yep. What you mention about the Coyote's dwindling sales in the F-150 could lead some to believe that this proposed engine could be a replacement for the Coyote.

One thing with Ford in the truck game, they always make improvements and throw curve balls no one expects.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Think about how much Ford has been talking about electrification. OHAP is just one small piece of that puzzle. If they turn OAC into something of a BEV specialized facility that could mean good things in the future in terms of long term security of the facility itself provided BEVs take off like they hope. The fear is BEVs are much less complex and require less manpower to build so there's definitely job security concerns there. 

Job security is certainly a concern with this deal for lower seniority members. Many members have retired this year allowing the majority of the 450 who were laid off to return.  I hope through attrition these junior members can keep their jobs.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

You got that right! We’re all chomping at the bit here in Oakville waiting for the details to be released Sunday morning at 8am.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Well,  at 22m 14s he is asked what vehicles will receive the new engine and he clearly states "it'll be derivatives of the Mustang and the F150"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3iex143duqwyi3/Ford TA News Conference-2020.09.22.mp4?dl=0

Well derivative of a mustang and mustang are completely different.  Although I still have a hard time seeing the benefits of this engine over the 7.3, the coyotes and the 3.5eb in any application.

• Like 2