Unifor contract update

I agree. This doesn't mean it's going in S650. Ford have already stretched the limits of what a Mustang can be with Mach E, so this could go in another vehicle Ford decides to call a Mustang. However, surely the options are limited? Right now the only Fords with V8s are the Mustang and the F-Series. Would they really badge an F-Series as a Mustang?

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well derivative of a mustang and mustang are completely different.  Although I still have a hard time seeing the benefits of this engine over the 7.3, the coyotes and the 3.5eb in any application.

Don't overthink this, a derivative of F150 and a Mustang is code for F150 Raptor and Shelby Mustang.

The benefit of a large capacity engine in either of those applications is linked to its ability to draw more buyers.

Maybe Ford is preparing a cost effective answer to that pesky 700 HP S/C 6.4 V8 Hemi.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Don't overthink this, a derivative of F150 and a Mustang is code for F150 Raptor and Shelby Mustang.

The benefit of a large capacity engine in either of those applications is linked to its ability to draw more buyers.

Maybe Ford is preparing a cost effective answer to that pesky 700 HP S/C 6.4 V8 Hemi.

I can see it for Raptor to satisfy the V8 mafia but I don’t see it for Mustang unless maybe it’s a drag racer special like the cobrajet.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

I can see it for Raptor to satisfy the V8 mafia but I don’t see it for Mustang unless maybe it’s a drag racer special like the cobrajet.

I don't think it will be a CobraJet. After the electric one that just came out, I think that's the direction they’re going to go with that from here on. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think it will be a CobraJet. After the electric one that just came out, I think that's the direction they’re going to go with that from here on. 

I hear you but I don’t see any other use case for a mustang coupe or anything smaller than a F150.

I don't know enough about this, but could it be related to the closure of the Romeo engine plant? I would assume that the 5.2 Predator engine could be built elsewhere but, if not, the 6.8 could be a replacement for that in a future Shelby? The previous GT500's Trinity engine (5.8 Supercharged V8) only lasted 2 model years, so is it possible that Predator will only last 3 model years ('20/'21/'22.......then S650 is launched as a '23MY)

Just now, Twin Turbo said:

I don't know enough about this, but could it be related to the closure of the Romeo engine plant? I would assume that the 5.2 Predator engine could be built elsewhere but, if not, the 6.8 could be a replacement for that in a future Shelby? The previous GT500's Trinity engine (5.8 Supercharged V8) only lasted 2 model years, so is it possible that Predator will only last 3 model years ('20/'21/'22.......then S650 is launched as a '23MY)

It was spelled out in the UAW contract. Most of the workers from Romeo that don't retire or take a buyout will go to Van Dyke and the Niche engine line (Where the handbuilt engines come from) will move to either Cleveland or Lima. I can't remember which one at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

At first blush, it doesn’t make sense, but the 6.8 will be a physically smaller engine than the 5.0 and it almost certainly will be cheaper to build. An aluminum version would probably weigh no more than the 5.0.

46 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

At first blush, it doesn’t make sense, but the 6.8 will be a physically smaller engine than the 5.0 and it almost certainly will be cheaper to build. An aluminum version would probably weigh no more than the 5.0.

On Mustang6g, someone is claiming this will be an aluminum block.  I think the 4.6 iron block weighed 155 pounds, the aluminum version weighed 85.  The Godzilla block is longer than the 4.6 and also has (I think) a taller deck.  If they go aluminum, it should lose more than 70 pounds that the 4.6 lost.  Some are also speculating a shorter deck height.   That would shave additional weight.   

Disclaimer:  This is all speculation. 

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

S/C is a 6.2L

I think this signals that the S/C 5.2 probably has about two years maximum before it gets replaced,

The Shelby Mustangs will probably get Atmo and S/C versions of the 6.8  V8.

In no way is the 6.8 going to be regular option in F150 or Mustang, it has to stay exclusive to limit

sales, too many sales will see Ford take a big hit from CAFE.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, CurtisH said:

On Mustang6g, someone is claiming this will be an aluminum block.  I think the 4.6 iron block weighed 155 pounds, the aluminum version weighed 85.  The Godzilla block is longer than the 4.6 and also has (I think) a taller deck.  If they go aluminum, it should lose more than 70 pounds that the 4.6 lost.  Some are also speculating a shorter deck height.   That would shave additional weight.   

Disclaimer:  This is all speculation. 

Currently the 7.3 is ~538 lbs so not that much heavier than the 5.0 Coyote with ~404 lbs

and with an alloy block, it could easily drop 50 lbs like the 5.4 MOD does with an alloy block.

And even if the 6.8 stays iron block, I don't think the added weight would be a deal-breaker 

given the capacity increase and compact dimensions of the engine, brute strength without a blower?

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m fully prepared to be wrong.

I'm prepared to be wrong too and be quite surprised. I still think, as I stated in one of my previous comments a few pages back, that the 6.8L could be a simple misprint/misspoken and actually the 4.8L that was once planned in Windsor. I do think lots of development work was already done to the 4.8L before it was shelved and perhaps it was Farley himself who decided to green light the project. Just speculation on my part. The 5.0L Coyote is getting really old and pretty much already reached its maximum capabilities. But we'll see.

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think this signals that the S/C 5.2 probably has about two years maximum before it gets replaced,

The Shelby Mustangs will probably get Atmo and S/C versions of the 6.8  V8.

In no way is the 6.8 going to be regular option in F150 or Mustang, it has to stay exclusive to limit

sales, too many sales will see Ford take a big hit from CAFE.

It does make sense to have the 6.8L V8 be the replacement for the SC 5.2L since it's closer to its end. What does 'Atmo' mean that you mentioned? If it is indeed the 6.8L, and not the 4.8L as I think, it would make a good limited engine for performance purposes only as to not impact CAFE numbers.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

A truck and a Mustang both have larger footprints than a Bronco does so it isn't as big of a hit on their average. 

The 4 door Bronco has a longer wheelbase than the Mustang.  It’s also slightly longer and wider than the Mustang.   The Mustang definitely has a bigger footprint than the 2 door Bronco. 

37 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

The 4 door Bronco has a longer wheelbase than the Mustang.  It’s also slightly longer and wider than the Mustang.   The Mustang definitely has a bigger footprint than the 2 door Bronco. 

Fair enough, however Ford sells more pickup trucks in 2-3 months than they do Mustangs in a full year which negates any kind of gains Mustang being longer than Bronco may have. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

I'm prepared to be wrong too and be quite surprised. I still think, as I stated in one of my previous comments a few pages back, that the 6.8L could be a simple misprint/misspoken and actually the 4.8L that was once planned in Windsor. I do think lots of development work was already done to the 4.8L before it was shelved and perhaps it was Farley himself who decided to green light the project. Just speculation on my part. The 5.0L Coyote is getting really old and pretty much already reached its maximum capabilities. But we'll see.

It does make sense to have the 6.8L V8 be the replacement for the SC 5.2L since it's closer to its end. What does 'Atmo' mean that you mentioned? If it is indeed the 6.8L, and not the 4.8L as I think, it would make a good limited engine for performance purposes only as to not impact CAFE numbers.

There was a link to the video of Dias answering a question about the 6.8,

he said it's going into derivatives of F150 (Raptor)and Mustang (Shelbys).

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 2:03 PM, ExplorerDude said:

Nautilus is freshened for 2021MY with new interior, then redesigned for 2024MY with next gen being built in China and imported to the US.

I think that in light of COVID 19 that in the very best was gross negligence by China, and the very worst intentional, any American automaker that imports a $50K + vehicle from China when there is excess capacity in the US is wiping their backside with the American flag. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Some food for thought:

• Could the EVs made at Oakville also be made for VW?
  • Is the Edge necessarily going away?  Could the new product scheduled for OHAP be the next Edge?  Last  years contract allocated $85 Million for an "all-new Edge." 

Working backwards, $85 million is not much to spend on new Edge, so maybe it's componentry supply  for Oakville?

Vehicles moved from FRAP to OHAP were described as BEV  mid sized utilities for Ford and Lincoln, so that's a no.

We can dream of a future that Ford's Canadian plant  makes EVs for itself and VW, set it up and play to win.