Unifor contract update

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

I have a hard time believing it’s financially feasible to import from China but who knows.  I guess it’s working for GM.

It may backfire on Government Motors, I wouldn’t mind if it did. Maybe the Edge Nautilus go BEV somewhere else like OHAP or they kill the nameplates who knows. Premierdrum in this group said they will live on so who knows. I would rather them not import anything from China! 

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

Feds, Ontario ante up $500M to produce EVs at Ford's Oakville plant

OTTAWA — The federal and Ontario governments are each chipping in more than $250 million to mass produce electric vehicles — and the batteries that power them — at Ford Motor Co.'s plant in Oakville, Ont.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford are to announce the joint investment today.

It is part of a three-year agreement worth nearly $2 billion that was announced last month between the automaker and Unifor, the union that represents autoworkers in Canada.

The premier is to be at the Oakville plant with representatives of the motor company for the announcement.

Trudeau and Unifor president Jerry Dias are to hook up with them virtually from the company's connectivity and innovation centre in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata.

The Oakville plant employs 3,400 Ford workers and Dias has said retooling the plant to produce electric vehicles will save 3,000 of those jobs.

From the Liberal government's perspective, the investment will not only help secure good-paying jobs in the struggling auto sector. It hopes it will give Canada an edge in the global competition to meet what's expected to be explosive demand for electric vehicles in the near future.

The investment is also part of the government's commitment to invest in the transition to a clean, renewable-energy economy, with the goal of reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

It has already committed more than $300 million to create a network of fast-charging stations for electric vehicles across the country. And it is providing incentives of up to $5,000 off the price of purchasing or leasing electric and hybrid vehicles.

The federal government also hopes the new investment will help boost home-grown mining companies that produce the nickel and other metals used to make the batteries for electric vehicles.

Thank you for sharing this news Oacjay98 sir. Sounds like the transition to electric vehicles may give Canada's automotive industry a boost. Same deal with autonomous vehicles, I understand that Canadian universities especially Waterloo are heavily involved with research and development related to AV.

10 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you for sharing this news Oacjay98 sir. Sounds like the transition to electric vehicles may give Canada's automotive industry a boost. Same deal with autonomous vehicles, I understand that Canadian universities especially Waterloo are heavily involved with research and development related to AV.

You’re welcome and I hope so. I hope these young minds innovate great new ideas. 

• Like 1

As for the Edge and Nautilus, I think its a complete non-starter for them to be built in China and shipped to the US.

I'm not sure if the Edge does that well there (hasn't done well in the EU either) and both have there own replacements coming-the three Row Escape/Kuga and the Equator in China.

I still think they will be picked up at OHAP as BEVs...the timing and supposed positioning of them works. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

As for the Edge and Nautilus, I think its a complete non-starter for them to be built in China and shipped to the US.

I'm not sure if the Edge does that well there (hasn't done well in the EU either) and both have there own replacements coming-the three Row Escape/Kuga and the Equator in China.

I still think they will be picked up at OHAP as BEVs...the timing and supposed positioning of them works. 

When are those electric BEVs slated for production??? 2023? I won’t be one bit surprised if they’re called Edge and Nautilus. I remember saying to myself why wouldn’t they just build them here at OAC if they’re the same size now it’s makes more sense since our vehicles are being put to death lol. 

Feds, Ontario kick in $590M to produce EVs at Ford's Oakville plant

John Irwin

The federal and Ontario governments will each pitch in $295 million for Ford Motor Co.’s $1.8-billion plan to build electric vehicles at its Oakville, Ont., assembly plant.

“This is just one of the first steps to build a next generation auto industry. We have the resources to do that.” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today from Kanata, Ont., as he digitally joined a news conference in Oakville, where fellow politicians had gathered for the announcement.

The announcement comes after Ford and Unifor last month agreed to a new three-year contract, which included a promise from the automaker to retool Oakville in 2024 to build EVs and batteries. Under Ford’s plan, the first EV would roll off the assembly line by 2026, with full capacity being reached in 2027.

Both governments see the investments as a way to secure high-paying jobs in an important manufacturing sector for the country. The investments dovetail with the federal government’s goal of boosting green technology and EV sales and reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. 

The provincial government, meanwhile, sees EV production in Oakville as a “critical component” in boosting Ontario’s automotive supply chain. It also sees the investment as a potential boost for Ontario’s mining industry, which mines materials that can be used for battery production.

“Today’s investment from Ford Canada is historic. It will ensure our province continues to lead North America and the world in automotive manufacturing and innovation, while boosting our competitiveness in this key sector,” the premier said in a statement.

Government incentives, though sometimes politically controversial, can influence automakers’ decisions on where to invest and allocate production. Assembly plants in the southern United States have often been recipients of tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in government supports such as tax breaks.

Unifor President Jerry Dias said major support from both governments is needed if Canada is to remain a prominent player in auto manufacturing this century. He said he was encouraged to see both governments work hand-in-hand to secure one of the largest investments in recent Canadian automotive history.

“Both governments understand where the industry is heading. You either get on board now or get lost in the shuffle,” Dias said in an interview with Automotive News Canada. “They understand this is a pivotal time for the industry.”

The Oakville plant currently builds the Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus crossovers. Under plans outlined by Ford in a letter to Dias that was part of a union contract highlights brochure, production of the Nautilus and the front-wheel-drive Edge were expected to end in 2023. The all-wheel-drive Edge will be produced through the life of the new three-year deal, which expires in September 2023.

Electric-vehicle production would begin in 2026, according to Ford. By 2027, the plant would employ about 3,000 workers, down from 3,400 today. Dias has said retirements would account for the difference.

“With the support of the federal and provincial government, Ford of Canada is investing in the future of its Ontario-based operations, solidifying its commitment to providing thousands of well-paying jobs in Ontario and becoming the first automaker in the country to build full battery-electric vehicles while delivering operational improvements that will maximize production flexibility to ensure we remain operationally competitive,” Ford Canada CEO Dean Stoneley said in a statement.

Dias previously told Automotive News Canada that he expected Ford to build five EV models in the plant by 2027, along with assembling the batteries that power them. It was not yet clear what those five models will be, though Dias said he expected at least one to be a crossover and that two-door and four-door vehicles were on the table.

The investment represents a lifeline for the Oakville plant, whose was the subject of speculation in recent months following reports of the end of Edge production there. That lifeline, as well as gains in wages and benefits under the three-year contract, led to overwhelming support for the deal from voting Ford Unifor members, 81 per cent of whom voted to ratify the deal.

Still, the deal was unusual in at least one respect: The investment is slated to take place after the end of the new agreement between Ford and Unifor. Details about the transition to EV production in Oakville are sure to play a major role in bargaining in 2023.

Unifor’s focus in recent days has been on bargaining with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. A strike deadline for those talks is set for Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. ET. The union aims to pattern the FCA deal off the Ford contract and is looking to secure new production for the company’s assembly plant in Windsor, Ont., among other goals. 

Dias said he was confident both governments would remain at the table in the future as automakers weigh where to invest.

“We’ve been talking about a national auto strategy for years and years and years. And this is what it looks like,” he said. “When you get the federal government, provincial government, employers and unions all in a room talking about, are we putting young people to work — that’s what it’s all about today.”

37 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

When are those electric BEVs slated for production??? 2023? I won’t be one bit surprised if they’re called Edge and Nautilus. I remember saying to myself why wouldn’t they just build them here at OAC if they’re the same size now it’s makes more sense since our vehicles are being put to death lol. 

Says 2023

https://www.motor1.com/news/379955/ford-uaw-agreement-new-models/

3 hours ago, akirby said:

So are they moving Edge and Nautilus to C2 but building them elsewhere?  Or have they been cancelled in favor of BEVs?

They could easily move Nautilus to Louisville but I don’t think Louisville or Hermosillo would have enough room for Edge.

Or does new Fusion eventually replace Edge?

We've been asking the same question since CD6 Edge was cancelled. Pretty sure I posted a few pages back that the evidence is pretty strong that that Ford's plan now is to "panther" the Edge and just let it die a slow death. Imagine Toyota doing that to Highlander...

I believe Ford's product plan had a midsize C2 CUV for US and it made sense that it will be called Edge. That was until Ford caved to dealer pressure and publicly stated the Fusion name will return. So now they've painted themselves into a corner with 2 nameplates and only 1 vehicle. 

43 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

That's one possibility - that the EV slated for Ohio will be call Edge and Nautilus. But timing seems a bit off. Those are 2022 production starts but OAC is still building old Edge and Nautilus until 2024.

Edited by bzcat

40 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I believe Ford's product plan had a midsize C2 CUV for US and it made sense that it will be called Edge. That was until Ford caved to dealer pressure and publicly stated the Fusion name will return. So now they've painted themselves into a corner with 2 nameplates and only 1 vehicle. 

That's one possibility - that the EV slated for Ohio will be call Edge and Nautilus. But timing seems a bit off. Those are 2022 production starts but OAC is still building old Edge and Nautilus until 2024.

In the grand scheme of things the Fusion sportwagon or whatever would be spread between the Escape and Edge...not replace it outright. I don't think a wagon would be a replacement for the Edge. 

45 minutes ago, bzcat said:

We've been asking the same question since CD6 Edge was cancelled. Pretty sure I posted a few pages back that the evidence is pretty strong that that Ford's plan now is to "panther" the Edge and just let it die a slow death. Imagine Toyota doing that to Highlander...

Ya looks like the edge is going the way of the late great panther platform as they will wind down the current version. That’s the other mystery this so called fusion wagon we need some info real soon. Who knows maybe they will still call those 2022 Ohio BEVS Edge Nautilus EV if that theory of mine makes any sense 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Only the AWD Edge til 2024...maybe they will Call it the Edge Classic?

The AWD Edge is done in aug 2024. I was told this by union yesterday.  That will be the last model in production. Nautilus and all other Edges done in 23. I was told half of BEV units will be shipped to Europe because of CETA (Canadian European Trade Agreement). They said retooling could be 5-16 months! I doubt 16 months.I suppose with this trade agreement it’s cheaper for Ford to ship to EU from Oakville. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Only the AWD Edge til 2024...maybe they will Call it the Edge Classic?

The AWD Edge is done in aug 2024. I was told this by union yesterday.  That will be the last model in production. Nautilus and all other Edges done in 23. I was told half of BEV units will be shipped to Europe because of CETA (Canadian European Trade Agreement). They said retooling could be 5-16 months! I doubt 16 months.I suppose with this trade agreement it’s cheaper for Ford to ship to EU from Oakville. 

Maybe, before they closed the truck plant in Oakville we built the F-150 heritage model while the new ones where being produced in the states.

Ford is being deliberately vague with exactly what products go where and how CD4 Edge balances out

but thanks to silversvt, we have a sketch of 2023 being a major balance out of 2WD Edge and all Nautilus

with the AWD Edge lingering into 2024. That adds weight to new midsize BEVs being replacements for these.

All of that checks out, IMO.

So does that mean C2 Edge now becomes the new Fusion? Would this also spawn a new companion  MKZ?

If Hermosillo is too busy with Bronco Sport and Maverick, maybe there's room at Louisville as the size is just

a little hit longer and  wider than Escape Corsair but all would share hybrid and PHEV parts groupings...

I think it's doable and would add zest to LAP output but the flaw in my plan is that nothing was said about

anything like this in the UAW contract, that may mean the C2 Fusion stays in Mexico.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

So does that mean C2 Edge now becomes the new Fusion?

I think there was never a serious larger C2 ICE CUV being looked at with all the turmoil with the Edge name in world markets...EU and China went their own ways and Ford was looking at going BEV. We haven't seen any mules, only the cobbled up Fusion Sportback wagon so far, which lines up with Ford wanting to go after the Subaru Outback wagon market that was laid out with the Bronco lineup going after Jeep. 

I guess we will see the BEV Edge mules sometime next year. 

I think the Ford lineup might be this in a few years, at least in NA:

EcoSport or replacement model

Escape
Bronco Sport

Ford Mustang Mach E BEV

Everglades (3 row Escape-Thats a big maybe)

Fusion Sportwagon

BEV Edge (moves up in price/market slightly due to being a BEV, giving the Fusion more room pricewise in the lineup)

Bronco

Explorer

Expedition

Truckwise-

Maverick

Ranger

F-Series

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think there was never a serious larger C2 ICE CUV being looked at with all the turmoil with the Edge name in world markets

Edge in other markets suffers from the same problems EcoSport suffers from here. It was never originally intended to be sold anywhere but here so they had to shoehorn it in. Explorer has the same problem too IMO. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Europe will need larger affordable utility to replace S-Max, a new C2 Edge developed by Ford Europe may be something underway for them and ROW.

The three Row Escape would take care of that and the Chinese have the Equator or something like that to replace the Edge. 

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Edge in other markets suffers from the same problems EcoSport suffers from here. It was never originally intended to be sold anywhere but here so they had to shoehorn it in. Explorer has the same problem too IMO. 

The only thing the Explorer has going for it is that outside of NA, is the market for it is much smaller. I think it competes better then the Ecosport of Edge does in their respective weak markets. 

Just now, silvrsvt said:

The only thing the Explorer has going for it is that outside of NA, is the market for it is much smaller. I think it competes better then the Ecosport of Edge does in their respective weak markets. 

I wouldn't know, I haven't seen any sales numbers for export markets lately. 

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Europe will need larger affordable utility to replace S-Max, a new C2 Edge developed by Ford Europe may be something underway for them and ROW.

Jeep is launching a 7 seats Grand Compass next year. In fact it will be presented to the press quite soon. I think a model like this would do well in Ford's line up. But that might be just the long Escape. 

Edited by passis
  • Like 1