7.3L Gas F350's - 40k mile update

We have a small fleet (13) of f350 trucks all configured the same or very similar;  cc, 8ft beds, 4.30 rear, gas engines. Loaded with tools they weigh in daily at 10,000-11,000. 

All but 2 have 6.2L engines. The other  2 have the 7.3L and are nearing 40k miles already and i thought i would share some general observations.

First, the 7.3L combined with the 10 speed is a major power upgrade! It seems to never be working hard compared to the 6.2. It might seem strange,  but the ride is quieter with the 7.3 as the engine isnt reving all the time to make power. There are times we tow a large compressor or diesel generator and the new powertrain shows major improvement. 

The electric assist power steering is a nice upgrade. My opinion is that it provides some feedback of the terrain  but not near as much as the old hydraulic setup, which could be harsh.

The biggest surprise is the improved fuel economy. The 6.2l trucks are consistant, with daily/normal driving we see low 10mpg avg. Both of the 7.3L are now at low 12mpg. The power and driveability improvements were really great, but this mpg increase is a  major bonus. If the 7.3L stays reliable for the long haul, Ford has a real winner with this combo. 

We are waiting on 2 more pickups and a f450 stake body (which the orders have been delayed twice) and cant wait to get them into service.

Matt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think the 10 speed tranny really works well with larger engines to provide great fuel economy - in some cases as good or better than smaller engines.

My 3.5eb F150 just loafs along at 1200 rpm up to 50 mph and doesn’t have to downshift even on hills.  I can easily get 22-25 mpg on the highway and I’ve seen 27+ on rare occasions.

Thats why I don’t believe the new 6.8 will be that much more efficient than the 7.3.

10 hours ago, snooter said:

An uncorked 2013 f350 6.7PS pulling a 37' camper will return 18.5mpg...i am doing over 20mpg without the load....the gassers are pathetic (mpg) regardless of how it is spinned by the blue kool aid fanatics....

The 6.7PS is a $8455 option over the 7.3Gas. You can buy a lot of gas for $8455 plus the money you save on maintenance.

• Like 5