2021 Ford Puma ST

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Well, perhaps the bigger advantage of the skateboard is that it is designed from the get-go to accommodate batteries, so you don't wind up with cases like the Fusion energi hybrids that had the giant chunk taken out of the trunk for batteries.

You can obviously design an ICE platform to account for batteries too, but usually not the amount you need for a full EV without compromises.

I think its using the front and rear suspension of the C2 going by this:

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0240a4ec0276200b-550wi.jpg.d58c58ab86e61b4eb050a00ba75eff55.jpgaxybytis6geb1fffwed7.png.d2ebf19b3da0d56e44009bc9b3fa023d.png

Just for the record, most skateboard designs that I'm aware of use a perimeter frame, like the dear departed panther

You can see MME/ EV C-Max's C2 roots above when it was to be a compliance vehicle for mostly Europe,

a lot of changes were made, lengthening the wheelbase to 117" meant redevelopment of crash protection zone

change to top hat and inclusion of stronger motors and heavier wiring for a more performance oriented  vehicle 

Edited by jpd80

Toyota CHR - 49k
Honda HRV - 99k

Ford Ecosport - 65k

Kia Soul - 98k

Buick Encore - 102k

Nissan Kicks - 58k

Jeep Renegade - 77k

Chevrolet Trax - 117k

Is it worth it for ford to bring the puma here? Above are the sales figures for what I would assume would be its main competitors from 2019. Looks to be about 70-80k units on average. Is that enough for them to make a profit? 

if you go up in size a bit, things get a little better.

jeep compass - 144k

hyundai Tucson - 138k

subaru cross trek - 131k

these are smaller than compacts like escape, rav4 and crv, but larger than the other subcompacts. The bronco sport will also be similar in size to these. I would think this is the size range you’d want to be in.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

A subcompact Utility like Puma falls into the " nice to have but not essential" category

and truth to tell, all those compact utility sales that are less than say, $30k probably

cover production and development costs but maybe not much in the way of profit.

I think that's the case for a lot of nameplates that people just assume are profitable

when in fact, they're break even and just something for dealers  to service.

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

A subcompact Utility like Puma falls into the " nice to have but not essential" category

and truth to tell, all those compact utility sales that are less than say, $30k probably

I think that's the case for a lot of nameplates that people just assume are profitable

Yep. I recently saw an article showing the Ecosport has $7k in incentives on it now. How can a vehicle that starts at $20k have so much in incentives and still make a profit?

https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/ford-ecosport-discount-drops-price-by-up-to-7000-in-september-2020/

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Yep. I recently saw an article showing the Ecosport has $7k in incentives on it now. How can a vehicle that starts at $20k have so much in incentives and still make a profit?

https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/ford-ecosport-discount-drops-price-by-up-to-7000-in-september-2020/

Because they are top trim models (SES and Ti models) that list at almost 30k?

the lower end models don’t have any incentives/or only 2k and cost about the same (~22-23k). 

The exchange rate between the Indian Rupiah and the USD means that a entry level Ecosport is only $11k in India. 

So obviously there is a way Ford is at least breaking even on them. 

Edited by silvrsvt

5 hours ago, T-dubz said:

And there no changes to the 2021 Ecosport other than two new colors and an appearance package. Still no emergency braking and no upgrades to the drivetrain. Getting kind of embarassing now. Fusion gone and still producing this uncompetitive no profit small cuv.

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Puma development was done cheaply. It's basically the Fiesta Activ under the skin. Same engine bay and everything. 

I think they did this not just because it was cheaper...but for the Fiesta was originally suppose to move to Romania with it and the German plant shut. However, the union gave in to a deal and saved the German plant. 

If Ford saved the Fiesta equipment in Mexico, the Puma would be an "easier" product to start production conceivably. 

11 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

And there no changes to the 2021 Ecosport other than two new colors and an appearance package. Still no emergency braking and no upgrades to the drivetrain. Getting kind of embarassing now. Fusion gone and still producing this uncompetitive no profit small cuv.

At most, were talking about 6,600 SE Ecosports, imported from India.

A trifling amount when there's still over 19,000 Fusions still available.