3.0 ecoboost as a stand alone option

For the 2022 Ford Explorer, why doesn’t ford offer the 385 hp 3.0 ecoboost engine as a stand alone option?

Could  you imagine Explorer XLT’s with the sports appearance package and 3.0 flying off the dealer lots faster than ford could make them?

It would be nice to have an XLT with more go power!

edselford

• Like 1

Good suggestion edselford sir. In addition to providing more go power, 3.0L V6 Ecoboost is also smoother and quieter than the 4-cylinder Ecoboost engine that's standard on Explorer XLT. That's an important consideration for many prospective customers of mid and full size crossovers who may find the 4-cylinder Ecoboost too rough and noisy.

There is precedent for your suggestion. In 1997, Ford introduced an overhead cam version of the 4.0L Cologne V6 for Explorer which increased power by 50 hp compared to the pushrod version. The OHC V6 was initially standard only in the highest trims, Eddie Bauer and Limited but Ford did eventually make it an option for all Explorer and Explorer Sport trims. 

I think the 3.5 ecoboost in the Taurus was a stand alone option for a number of years!

The key is to price it right. Not everyone wants the Platnium Explorer, just too pricey.

The old guys like me are more interested in smooth ride and power, not the ST!

Going around the corner at .86 G’s is not a priority for me now that I am 72!

edselford

2 hours ago, edselford said:

For the 2022 Ford Explorer, why doesn’t ford offer the 385 hp 3.0 ecoboost engine as a stand alone option?

Could  you imagine Explorer XLT’s with the sports appearance package and 3.0 flying off the dealer lots faster than ford could make them?

It would be nice to have an XLT with more go power!

edselford

Because profits

1 hour ago, edselford said:

I think the 3.5 ecoboost in the Taurus was a stand alone option for a number of years!

The key is to price it right. Not everyone wants the Platnium Explorer, just too pricey.

The old guys like me are more interested in smooth ride and power, not the ST!

Going around the corner at .86 G’s is not a priority for me now that I am 72!

edselford

It was only available in the Taurus SHO not standalone.  It’s just a very different market now than what you grew up with.

It’s called target marketing with parts that are already there.

Obviously ford would rather sell Explorer ST and Platnium versions. They could price for it!

the real question is would the incremental profit due to higher Explorer volumes be greater than the incremental loss of profit if the people that would now not order the ST and Platnium?
MPs I have actually seen a Taurus ecoboost in a limited in the flesh.

edselford

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There may be an example somewhere but I don't remember seeing any base Mustangs with a V8 for example. 

The 'Fox Body' era base Mustang LX had optional 5.0L V8 from the GT. This was during the 80s-90s however and not that recent but was first to come to mind.

I actually like the idea of 3.0L EB V6 as standalone option for XLT, Limited, or maybe even Base. I'm actually surprised that Ford also haven't offered the Hybrid on Base and XLT too instead of only Limited.

• Like 1

Hi gang. As some have alluded to, it was different in the "Old days". In the 50's, 60's, and 70's, maybe even parts of the 80's-90's for some automakers (my dates memory will not be exact on this), you simply went to the Dealer, told them what model you wanted to buy, went down the checklist of every possible option and chose what you wanted. So yes, you could essentially have a "stripped" car with a hi-po engine. My older brother did it with an Impala he ordered in the late 60's. He ordered himself a base impala with the SS engine (he's a Chevy guy...but I overlook his foolishness ?).

That began to slowly change around the late 70's, early 80's (again, my dates may be slightly off), and as time went on was no longer possible. In the opinion of the automakers, it was too inefficient and costly to have each vehicle they sold containing thousands (or even 10,000+) possible option combinations. So they created trim levels, option packages etc. This greatly cuts down the possible option combinations.

This also became the the way things would be, when  "Just in Time" manufacturing took hold and and became the norm.

In the end, the automakers know we are going to buy the vehicle anyway, so they decide they might as well make it more cost effective and increase profits per unit for themselves. FYI- I am not defending or condemning the practice, merely explaining it.

Just some added information for anyone interested. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

16 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

The 'Fox Body' era base Mustang LX had optional 5.0L V8 from the GT. This was during the 80s-90s however and not that recent but was first to come to mind.

Good example pffan1990 sir, that's one that I remember too. Another example is Ford Contour 1995-1999. It offered the 2.5L Duratec V6 as an option with the base trim. I actually had one of those, a 1996 Contour GL V6 5-speed manual.

A current example is 2021 F-150. Ford offers its "high end" engines, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.5L PowerBoost Hybrid, and 3.0L Power Stroke diesel, as options on the base XL model.

• Like 1

I stand corrected on the ecoboost Taurus limited. It must of been a 2.0 not a 3.5!

I enjoyed the explanation given by bbf2530!

yes years ago you could get a Galaxie with either a 240 I 6,  289 V8, 352, 390, 427 and 428.

Probably corporate average fuel economy requirements are also forcing companies like ford to limit the options given the difference in fuel economy between the 3.0 ecoboost and the 2.3 ecoboost engines.

edsrlfird

Just now, edselford said:

I stand corrected on the ecoboost Taurus limited. It must of been a 2.0 not a 3.5!

I enjoyed the explanation given by bbf2530!

yes years ago you could get a Galaxie with either a 240 I 6,  289 V8, 352, 390, 427 and 428.

Probably corporate average fuel economy requirements are also forcing companies like ford to limit the options given the difference in fuel economy between the 3.0 ecoboost and the 2.3 ecoboost engines.

edselford

While I would enjoy the 3.0 option on other Explorers, I also am curious about the 3.3 that is in the PI standard non hybrid model.  Maybe an option for the XLT models?  Curious why they do not offer the 2.3 eco boost in the PI bee models. With the 10 speed transmission, maybe equivalent gas mileage?

1 hour ago, VIP said:

While I would enjoy the 3.0 option on other Explorers, I also am curious about the 3.3 that is in the PI standard non hybrid model.  Maybe an option for the XLT models?  Curious why they do not offer the 2.3 eco boost in the PI bee models. With the 10 speed transmission, maybe equivalent gas mileage?

3.3L V6 with 10-speed automatic transmission and AWD is available as a fleet-only option on Explorer Base. Option code 99B.

Fuel economy for the 3.3L Explorer is actually lower than 3.0L Ecoboost AWD. 16 mpg city, 23 mpg highway, 19 mpg combined. Performance is also probably worse than the 2.3L Ecoboost.