Mustang Mach E price drops for all models but GT

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

Wrong again.  FordPass has access to over 13,500 charging stations across the country.  Check the map for your area.

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/public-charging/

Wow, I didn't know Ford has built a supercharging network to rival Tesla. My local Ford dealer doesn,t even have a charging station. And yeah, I know urban parking lots have a few charging stations here and there along with Cracker Barrel and what not. FL and the Midwest are talking about building a network along interstates, but that is years away.

36 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Wow, I didn't know Ford has built a supercharging network to rival Tesla. My local Ford dealer doesn,t even have a charging station. And yeah, I know urban parking lots have a few charging stations here and there along with Cracker Barrel and what not. FL and the Midwest are talking about building a network along interstates, but that is years away.

There are 51 FordPass network charging stations within 5 miles of Orlando, FL.   And 2 DC fast chargers.   There are over 13000 charging stations nationwide that are available to Mach-E owners so the statement that there is no charging network and they would be forced to charge at home is patently false.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm going to guess that most.who buy the Mach E are retirees who will do all their charging in their garages and live in warmer areas. Teslas are very prevalent here in FL with retirees. 

Maybe your area.  Teslas are all over down here, and not driven by just retirees.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Maybe your area.  Teslas are all over down here, and not driven by just retirees.

No kidding; if one lives in an area full of retirees, then -what do you know!- a lot of retirees drive this or that. I live in an area that is young and active, and Teslas are thick as fleas on a dog's back around here.

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

FordPass has access to over 13,500 charging stations across the country.  Check the map for your area.

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/public-charging/

Thank you akirby sir. In my area, the FordPass locator did list a Volta AC Level 2 charger I've used at Hulen Mall, next to BJ's. FordPass does a good job aggregating charging stations from different vendors such as Volta, ChargePoint, EVgo, Blink, and independently operated ones too. But it would be better if Ford maintained and operated the charging stations for its BEV owners, just like Tesla does with its Superchargers, for a more consistent customer experience.

8 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you akirby sir. In my area, the FordPass locator did list a Volta AC Level 2 charger I've used at Hulen Mall, next to BJ's. FordPass does a good job aggregating charging stations from different vendors such as Volta, ChargePoint, EVgo, Blink, and independently operated ones too. But it would be better if Ford maintained and operated the charging stations for its BEV owners, just like Tesla does with its Superchargers, for a more consistent customer experience.

I guess we'd rather have Ford own/operate gas stations too for all those gas vehicle customers.

It's not a feasible strategy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

It's not necessarily better.   If Ford built and maintained them there wouldn't be 13K of them.  And that would drive up Ford's expenses.   It's like suggesting that gas stations should be owned by the car mfrs.

Just now, rmc523 said:

I guess we'd rather have Ford own/operate gas stations too for all those gas vehicle customers.

It's not a feasible strategy.

Beat me by 2 seconds.  

But if Tesla does it then it must be great.   They can do nothing wrong (except turn a profit).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Wow, I didn't know Ford has built a supercharging network to rival Tesla.

It did not. To clarify what akirby mentioned, the 13,500 charging stations listed by FordPass are operated by other companies or individuals, not Ford. FordPass simply aggregates data for those charging stations to list which are closest to a customer's location, based on criteria such as distance or proximity to places like restaurants and shopping.

To your point, only a small percentage of those 13,500 charging stations are DC Fast Charge using the CCS standard supported by Mustang Mach-E. By comparison, all Tesla Superchargers are DCFC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

It did not. To clarify what akirby mentioned, the 13,500 charging stations listed by FordPass are operated by other companies or individuals, not Ford. FordPass simply aggregates data for those charging stations to list which are closest to a customer's location, based on criteria such as distance or proximity to places like restaurants and shopping.

To your point, only a small percentage of those 13,500 charging stations are DC Fast Charge using the CCS standard supported by Mustang Mach-E. By comparison, all Tesla Superchargers are DCFC.

You do know he was being sarcastic?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

You do know he was being sarcastic?

Yes sir, I understand FordBuyer's sarcasm. Still, there's some confusion out there in general (not by FordBuyer) about Ford's so called charging network for Mustang Mach-E, as listed in FordPass. So my not sarcastic reply was intended to clarify how this charging network and FordPass compares to Tesla's Supercharger network. I have a Tesla Model S now, and my wife and I will get our Mustang Mach-E First Edition by the end of the year hopefully.

53 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's not necessarily better.   If Ford built and maintained them there wouldn't be 13K of them.  And that would drive up Ford's expenses.   It's like suggesting that gas stations should be owned by the car mfrs.

I do think another "easy" thing Ford could do is to have Ford dealers across the country add chargers in their parking lots for customers to use.  Which would in effect be Ford's "owned" network.  They'd "instantly" have a huge network that way.

44 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

No thank you rmc523 sir. Ford should be doing everything it can to wean itself off fossil fuels as soon as possible.

You missed the point & the dreaded time change | I should be washing  clothes………

• Haha 2

I know lots of Tesla owners. After the novelty of using the Level 3 public charger a few times, very few of them actually go out of his or her way to use it. Most of them just plug in at night because it's way more convinent. You shouldn't buy an EV unless you also plan to install a 220V outlet in your garage.

Tesla's supercharger network is a selling point for non-EV owners to overcome range anxiety but it's not a real significant benefit once you adopt to EV lifestyle. Eventually, there will be A LOT more CCS charging stations than Tesla so what is now a selling point may become a liability later when every brand can charge at common charging stations but Tesla owners are restricted to the properitory network. 

Ford lowered the Mach E MSRP because they are gearing up for a fight with VW ID.4. As part of Dieselgate settlement with EPA, VW agreed to build its own nationwide charging network (Electrify America), which ironically gave VW an advantage because it allows VW to offer 3 years of free charging to ID.4 owners. Ford can't match that so it is lowering the MSRP instead. 

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/new-vw-id-4-250-mile-range-3-years-free-fast-charging/

BTW, Electrify America is part of Ford Pass too... but Mach E can't charge for free on it like ID.4.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I know lots of Tesla owners. After the novelty of using the Level 3 public charger a few times, very few of them actually go out of his or her way to use it. Most of them just plug in at night because it's way more convinent. You shouldn't buy an EV unless you also plan to install a 220V outlet in your garage.

Tesla's supercharger network is a selling point for non-EV owners to overcome range anxiety but it's not a real significant benefit once you adopt to EV lifestyle. Eventually, there will be A LOT more CCS charging stations than Tesla so what is now a selling point may become a liability later when every brand can charge at common charging stations but Tesla owners are restricted to the properitory network. 

Ford lowered the Mach E MSRP because they are gearing up for a fight with VW ID.4. As part of Dieselgate settlement with EPA, VW agreed to build its own nationwide charging network (Electrify America), which ironically gave VW an advantage because it allows VW to offer 3 years of free charging to ID.4 owners. Ford can't match that so it is lowering the MSRP instead. 

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/new-vw-id-4-250-mile-range-3-years-free-fast-charging/

BTW, Electrify America is part of Ford Pass too... but Mach E can't charge for free on it like ID.4.

Exactly this. I’ve seen the pictures of Tesla’s waiting in line just to use the supercharger. Then you have to wait some more while you actually charge. I’m not going to spend my time hanging out at a charging station. If I were to buy an electric vehicle, it would be with the understanding that I would charge from home and the furthest I can drive from my home is about 100 miles. That gives me enough battery life to make it back home with some to spare in case of an emergency.

On 9/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, and it's no surprise. All incumbent automakers are having a difficult time coming up with good marketing strategies for BEV and hitting sales targets. Jaguar and Audi have big rebates on I-Pace and e-tron for example, beyond incentives governments are offering for BEV in general.

My wife and I are happy that at least $1,000 is coming back to our bank account for our Mach-E First Edition purchase!

Isn't the first edition no longer not sold out? There must have been cancelations or moves to other models.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

But I do agree that most BEV charging will be done at home overnight.   That should suffice for 90+% of buyers (driving less than 200 miles per day total).

I never got why most people dwell on where to charge their car when most won't take it on a long trip anyway. I can't think of anything more convenient that charging it at your home. Imagine how much easier if you could pump your gas in the driveway with your current car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

Isn't the first edition no longer not sold out? There must have been cancelations or moves to other models.

They had to increase the number due to website problems that allowed too many to be reserved.  Still sold out AFAIK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I never got why most people dwell on where to charge their car when most won't take it on a long trip anyway. I can't think of anything more convenient that charging it at your home. Imagine how much easier if you could pump your gas in the driveway with your current car.

I don't know if it's that people dwell on where to charge it, it's just that people here tend to plan on a "what if" basis, rather than what is needed 95% of the time.

"What if I need to carry a kayak?  What if I need to carry 7 people?  Let me get a big car!   What if I go on a road trip (once every few years)?  Where will I charge an EV in that case?"

Reality is as you point out, the vast majority of charging would be done at home every night, so you'd have a full "tank" every day.  But people get caught up in the "what if" of a longer road trip because we're geared to think of "filling up" (charging) like we do with ICE/gas vehicles - you go to the station when you need to, and those are everywhere.

I'm in this camp - I see the benefits of an EV - lower maintenance costs, lower "fuel" costs, charge at home, instant power, etc., but there are other factors involved.  One of the bigger ones being charge at home ability - don't have a charger at home, and while one could be installed, I may move soon, so may not be a worthwhile investment right now for a charger, plus, I do have the range concerns - and I know logically, an EV will work just fine for 95% of applications, but there's still that 5%. 

For instance, I'm planning a road trip with some friends for later this month - the trip will take 11 hours to get where we're going.  I looked up Ford's routing for EV chargers, and there are actually a lot more chargers than I expected, so the route will still be 11 hours, but that doesn't include charging time - it's roughly 700-750 miles (1400-1500 total) according to that routing system (I didn't put in exact destinations), so if I'm generous and give a 300 mile range, you're still having to charge 5 times at least since you're likely not charging until full - depending on the charger speed, you could be adding an extra 2.5 hours?  vs. maybe 30 mins total for refilling for gas?

Another factor is that some people also don't have the ability to install a charger - I have a buddy that lives in a condo, and while an EV would be perfect for him (he barely drives because of proximity to his work), his condo is an older building, with no charging ability.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

They had to increase the number due to website problems that allowed too many to be reserved.  Still sold out AFAIK.

That was Bronco.  He was asking about Mach E, I think

21 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, I understand FordBuyer's sarcasm. Still, there's some confusion out there in general (not by FordBuyer) about Ford's so called charging network for Mustang Mach-E, as listed in FordPass. So my not sarcastic reply was intended to clarify how this charging network and FordPass compares to Tesla's Supercharger network. I have a Tesla Model S now, and my wife and I will get our Mustang Mach-E First Edition by the end of the year hopefully.

Congratulations when you get it. What color did you choose? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know if it's that people dwell on where to charge it, it's just that people here tend to plan on a "what if" basis, rather than what is needed 95% of the time.

"What if I need to carry a kayak?  What if I need to carry 7 people?  Let me get a big car!   What if I go on a road trip (once every few years)?  Where will I charge an EV in that case?"

Reality is as you point out, the vast majority of charging would be done at home every night, so you'd have a full "tank" every day.  But people get caught up in the "what if" of a longer road trip because we're geared to think of "filling up" (charging) like we do with ICE/gas vehicles - you go to the station when you need to, and those are everywhere.

I'm in this camp - I see the benefits of an EV - lower maintenance costs, lower "fuel" costs, charge at home, instant power, etc., but there are other factors involved.  One of the bigger ones being charge at home ability - don't have a charger at home, and while one could be installed, I may move soon, so may not be a worthwhile investment right now for a charger, plus, I do have the range concerns - and I know logically, an EV will work just fine for 95% of applications, but there's still that 5%. 

For instance, I'm planning a road trip with some friends for later this month - the trip will take 11 hours to get where we're going.  I looked up Ford's routing for EV chargers, and there are actually a lot more chargers than I expected, so the route will still be 11 hours, but that doesn't include charging time - it's roughly 700-750 miles (1400-1500 total) according to that routing system (I didn't put in exact destinations), so if I'm generous and give a 300 mile range, you're still having to charge 5 times at least since you're likely not charging until full - depending on the charger speed, you could be adding an extra 2.5 hours?  vs. maybe 30 mins total for refilling for gas?

Another factor is that some people also don't have the ability to install a charger - I have a buddy that lives in a condo, and while an EV would be perfect for him (he barely drives because of proximity to his work), his condo is an older building, with no charging ability.

That was Bronco.  He was asking about Mach E, I think

I would add temperature also. I was never interested in a hybrid when I lived in MI. But in FL it became a no brainer. My experiences with batteries is that they  particularly don't like cold temps. 

20 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Congratulations when you get it. What color did you choose? 

Thank you FordBuyer sir! Grabber Blue is the color. My wife, who will be the primary driver of the Mach-E when we get it, absolutely loves that color. ?

Here's a photo of Mach-E in Grabber Blue.

653140.jpg

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I would add temperature also. I was never interested in a hybrid when I lived in MI. But in FL it became a no brainer. My experiences with batteries is that they  particularly don't like cold temps. 

Good point - don't have to think of such things in S FL.