As Bronco's launch grows near, unexpected demand creates unique challenges for buyers

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/09/29/2021-ford-bronco-reservations/3561907001/?fbclid=IwAR3EDLGd1HgZ5I4WjS9RGdGvUyF8MVAFDzmgsIVGuI1NOrWLgHzrUHo77WI

Nuggets:

No reservation? No Bronco. Demand for the 2021 Ford Bronco SUV is so strong that Ford doesn't expect to fill all customer orders into 2022, the company told the Free Press.  The Bronco, a bestselling vehicle resurrected for the first time since it ended production 25 years ago, is being built to order initially.

"Our dealers tell us they haven’t seen this level of enthusiasm for a new product since the original Mustang. Due to the unprecedented level of interest, we plan to build customer orders only in the 2021 calendar year. We will continue to add new appearance and feature choices, including paint colors and special editions, for customers that have a longer wait."

"It’s clear the Bronco has really struck a chord, appealing to buyers beyond core off-roading enthusiasts. With ever-growing interest in SUVs, overlanding and classic automotive nameplates, it’s beyond the right car at the right time. It’s the perfect product, perfectly timed."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

going to be interesting...Ill fess Ive put two reservations in, as I want to see costing with desired options and then weigh Badlands or Wildtrack….theres a bit of a time frame between the two reservations too...so potentially more downpayment...

Edited by Deanh

3 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

It certainly will be a challenge if Ford could easily sell 250,000/year and only produce about 125,000/year give that it's sharing production capacity with the popular Ranger. Everyone wants a Bronco, not a Sport. 

2 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford is swamped with Bronco orders which was the point of today's Bronco article. Some are estimating  close to 200,000 orders and counting. Article compared it to Mustang debut 50 years ago or so. The Bronco Sport is ho hum in comparison.

You said everyone wants a Bronco not a sport.  That implies nobody wants a sport.  There are plenty of people posting on Bronco forums, groups and websites who are buying the Sport.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

You said everyone wants a Bronco not a sport.  That implies nobody wants a sport.  There are plenty of people posting on Bronco forums, groups and websites who are buying the Sport.

Citation please...how many orders? And remember, the Sport has the same 1.5 L engine that everyone on here hates, and the $40,000+ high trim levels that so many have criticized on the Escape titanium. I hope the Sport sells well, but the Bronco is the star. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Citation please...how many orders? And remember, the Sport has the same 1.5 L engine that everyone on here hates, and the $40,000+ high trim levels that so many have criticized on the Escape titanium. I hope the Sport sells well, but the Bronco is the star. 

They haven't said how many orders are Bronco Sport, 2 door or 4 door. 

29 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

From Motor1:

"Jovina Young, the Sport’s marketing manager, said in a new Ford Authority interview that the automaker is “happy with the feedback” it has been receiving from dealers as people enquire about the new offering. Young also revealed that the automaker had received both reservations and orders for the model, though no official number was provided."

https://www.motor1.com/news/446417/ford-bronco-sport-feedback-positive/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

From Motor1:

"Jovina Young, the Sport’s marketing manager, said in a new Ford Authority interview that the automaker is “happy with the feedback” it has been receiving from dealers as people enquire about the new offering. Young also revealed that the automaker had received both reservations and orders for the model, though no official number was provided."

https://www.motor1.com/news/446417/ford-bronco-sport-feedback-positive/

There are preproduction Sports circulating around Central FL and not garnering much attention IMO. I like the front end, but the rest is underwhelming.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I hope the Sport sells well, but the Bronco is the star. 

That sums it up nicely. The Sport should sell well just for having "Bronco" in its name. But that vehicle doesn't come close to the real Bronco, which is second only to the BEV F-150 in importance among new Ford vehicles announced recently. 

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That sums it up nicely. The Sport should sell well just for having "Bronco" in its name. But that vehicle doesn't come close to the real Bronco, which is second only to the BEV F-150 in importance among new Ford vehicles announced recently. 

Bronco Sport comes close where it matters to a lot of buyers - styling, image and accessories.  Especially younger buyers and young female buyers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

...But that vehicle doesn't come close to the real Bronco, which is second only to the BEV F-150 in importance among new Ford vehicles announced recently. 

Are you in Ford board rooms? How do you know the importance of the vehicles to Ford? I have no doubt the F150 electric will be important in the future. Yet, I highly doubt Ford is gambling their future on the 2022/23 electric F150. Just because you think it's important, doesn't mean it is to Ford. I think Ford is more concerned about the new ICE/Powerboost F150 being successful and bringing in revenue in the next 5 years. If that is a flop then game over. Not so much with an electric truck that will initially, by design,  sell in low numbers as truck folks gets acclimated to an electric truck and while the infrastructure catches up.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

I found that appearance package thing for ones with longer waits interesting.

Another thing I noticed in that article......did they change the dealer switch date?

"In mid-October, Ford is planning to allow Bronco reservation-holders into the system and custom design their two-door or four-door Bronco. This is known as the build, price and spec process. Official orders will need to be placed by the end of January 2021 and at that point, buyers will select their dealer of choice."

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I found that appearance package thing for ones with longer waits interesting.

Another thing I noticed in that article......did they change the dealer switch date?

"In mid-October, Ford is planning to allow Bronco reservation-holders into the system and custom design their two-door or four-door Bronco. This is known as the build, price and spec process. Official orders will need to be placed by the end of January 2021 and at that point, buyers will select their dealer of choice."

No, I'm guessing the reporter read their notes wrong. Any dealer changes must be made by Halloween, otherwise the reservation will need to be canceled and reissued later in line.

3 hours ago, mackinaw said:

That's promising, Sport buyers will have their vehicles a lot quicker than Bronco buyers.

It may be sales grow after people see neighbours with them.....

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, probowler said:

What a madhouse

1007151013_Screenshot_2020-09-29BroncoNationForum.thumb.png.7e9b1cb826f0ee2a347519652862b283.png

41 is not 0.  Do you understand the difference between somebody and nobody?  

Of course Bronco is way more popular.  Most Bronco Sport buyers will probably wait and at least have a test drive before deciding to purchase.  And there are still a ton of potential buyers who don’t even know about it until they see them on the street.

• Like 3