As Bronco's launch grows near, unexpected demand creates unique challenges for buyers

2 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Yeah but everyone is not truly everyone either.  Remember, you know exactly what is being implied here, unless that statement doesn’t apply to you.  There are far more folks who are interested in Bronco than Sport.  

As Ford's stated publicly, they already have far more 2021 Bronco reservations than they can produce for the 2021 Model Year if most of those reservations are converted to orders. They may lose some reservations/orders because of the long waits that some customers will have even though they're saying that they'll be adding new appearance packages, etc. to make it attractive for those waiting a long time to continue waiting. 

The Bronco Sport will do very well, especially once they start arriving at dealerships by the end of the 2020CY and start showing up on the road. And once they're in stock and dealerships park them out front they'll stop traffic with people that want to take a closer look. 

The BOF members are enthusiasts and know well what vehicles are in the pipeline but the public doesn't, for the most part, until they see the new vehicles advertised or on the road. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Remember, you know exactly what is being implied here

The quote was "Everyone wants a Bronco, not a Sport."   It's not my fault if FordBuyer uses the wrong words.  There are plenty of people who will buy a Bronco Sport over a Bronco - I'd say at least 100K/yr.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

The quote was "Everyone wants a Bronco, not a Sport."   It's not my fault if FordBuyer uses the wrong words.  There are plenty of people who will buy a Bronco Sport over a Bronco - I'd say at least 100K/yr.  

Forgetting the enthusiasts that know and track information on new/future Ford vehicles, after nearly 35 years managing new Ford vehicle inventory, I've found that it takes at least the first model year before there's enough inventory in stock at dealerships and enough vehicles on the road before a new model starts to gain traction in the marketplace. There are other factors involved including advertising and certainly a vehicle design that stands out and attracts attention, etc. As a rule of thumb, a lot of those first year sales are to impulse buyers that want higher end trims with a lot of options.

The Bronco Sport will be in stock long before a lot of buyers are even aware of the Bronco. With it's design so similar to the Bronco, I have no doubt that demand will easily surpass 100K units the first year.    

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That was always going to be the case, even the upper echelon of Ford corporate knew that. 

Anyone who thought otherwise is an idiot.

But I do think Bronco Sport sales will end up a lot closer to Bronco sales after a couple of years than some might think, primarily because of the lower price.   After the initial pent up Bronco mania dies down of course.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That was always going to be the case, even the upper echelon of Ford corporate knew that. 

Between the Ranger and new Bronco, MAP is the perfect place to work if one is interested in long term employment. I saw a recent pic of a new 2dr Bronco coming off the preproduction line at I assume MAP. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

41 is not 0.  Do you understand the difference between somebody and nobody?  

Of course Bronco is way more popular.  Most Bronco Sport buyers will probably wait and at least have a test drive before deciding to purchase.  And there are still a ton of potential buyers who don’t even know about it until they see them on the street.

It may as well be zero on the internet... Mr. technical.

Edited by probowler

7 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Then again, on our forum, Fusion has 34k posts and F-150 has 14k.

Isn't this forum like 10 years old? The fusion has been around since what, 2008? I would hope it has some activity!

Hows this for hype... the F-150 has been in continuous production since the Bronco was discontinued, and on BN alone they have half the F150's post count in only a year ?

Edited by probowler

Big Bronco in general appeals more to enthusiasts, and therefore will have more early hype online, reservations, pre orders, etc.  and interest will shift over time toward the average buyer after the enthusiasts get theirs.

Bronco Sport appeals more toward the average buyer - both because of price and it's more of an image car - quite capable, yes, but still appeals more to the "looks" crowd.  It'll appeal more to the folks that see one on the road or their friend got one and will check it out.  Therefore, its appeal won't be as evident ahead of its launch, it'll be more the launch and grow type.

• Like 1

Well you have the Bronco fans who look down their nose at it and resent the fact that it's called a Bronco.  Then you have folks who try to compare it to Escape or RAV4 based on engines, size, cargo capacity, etc.    Neither of them understand the appeal of such a vehicle especially to younger buyers.   It's going to sell on styling, image and functionality and it's a totally different market than the others.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well you have the Bronco fans who look down their nose at it and resent the fact that it's called a Bronco.  Then you have folks who try to compare it to Escape or RAV4 based on engines, size, cargo capacity, etc.    Neither of them understand the appeal of such a vehicle especially to younger buyers.   It's going to sell on styling, image and functionality and it's a totally different market than the others.

Jeep seems to be doing fairly well selling their baby jeeps to younger people who want a jeep but either can't afford or don't want an actual Wrangler.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well you have the Bronco fans who look down their nose at it and resent the fact that it's called a Bronco. 

But a lot more people like the fact that Bronco Sport has "Bronco" in its name, despite its limited capability compared to the real Bronco. As mentioned earlier, that alone will help boost sales of the Sport. Ford has a good strategy here.

2 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

But a lot more people like the fact that Bronco Sport has "Bronco" in its name, despite its limited capability compared to the real Bronco. As mentioned earlier, that alone will help boost sales of the Sport. Ford has a good strategy here.

Well of course - that’s part of the image along with the similar styling.  And while it doesn’t have all the capability of the big Bronco it has far more than the average crossover and that’s more than 99% of buyers will need.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, probowler said:

Isn't this forum like 10 years old? The fusion has been around since what, 2008? I would hope it has some activity!

Hows this for hype... the F-150 has been in continuous production since the Bronco was discontinued, and on BN alone they have half the F150's post count in only a year ?

My point is that the Fusion which is being discontinued is in the scrap heap while the F-150 sells way more than anything and it will handily outsell the Bronco when it comes out. Internet chat does not equate to actual sales, otherwise Ferrari would probably be the most sold car on the planet.

Being a halo car however, the Bronco will have a large following even if most won't actually buy it. I think the Bronco sport, being a more accessible product will sell much better than you think and the internet indicates right now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

The Sport had damnwell better catch on. The way Ford has modeled it, it's arguably the most important component in their small utility strategy.

It certainly has the opportunity to generate the most profit amongst all the smaller crossovers.

Edited by akirby