As Bronco's launch grows near, unexpected demand creates unique challenges for buyers

8 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

I started lurking around 2002, my senior year of high school.

At the risk of getting things back on track...

The Sport had damnwell better catch on. The way Ford has modeled it, it's arguably the most important component in their small utility strategy.

Trying to convince my wife to replace our 2011 Edge with a Sport.  It probably going to be a little too small for her preferences.  I’m hoping she will change her mind when we get a chance to actually look at one.  

Edited by CurtisH

On 9/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, jpd80 said:

Yep, zero information from Ford  regarding buyer response for Bronco Sport

I take that to mean reservations are very low. They're boasting about Bronco reservation numbers, but won't do the same with Sport. Every video I've seen with both models there, Bronco gets most of the attention while Sport gets little more than a quick look.

1 hour ago, MKX1960 said:

I take that to mean reservations are very low. They're boasting about Bronco reservation numbers, but won't do the same with Sport. Every video I've seen with both models there, Bronco gets most of the attention while Sport gets little more than a quick look.

A link to a report posted earlier  on page 1  suggests that Ford is happy with the level of inquires regarding the Bronco Sport.

Of course they couldn't say otherwise but I'm willing to wait and see how it goes, could be more of a grass roots

model that sees growth once the vehicle is on sale and buyers have a chance to see it.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Sport reservations are fractional to those of 2dr  4dr... but how many Escapes were reserved prior to production beginning? CR-Vs? RAV4s?

It's a very important product, especially given the market changes between its design and launch.

Those I know don't have any doubt it will do for them what they need... and neither do I.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

There is no reason to reserve one because it’s not an icon with pent up demand from core enthusiasts.  Most will wait to see one in person and most buyers don’t even know about it yet.  Once it hits the streets and advertising starts it will sell well.  But should be a slow and steady ramp up.

Personally I think this what is going to happen:

The  2/4 Bronco will have a very strong demand the first 2-3 years it is on the market then taper off...I think 75-125K units a year is realistic 

The Bronco Sport might start off slow, but will grow as time goes on. I don't see any reason why it can't hit at least 125K or so units a year regularly. It won't approach the number of Escape sales (200K or so a year), but will be a nice complement to it.

• Like 1

The core market for the Bronco Sport are people that live in cities like LA, Salt Lake, Denver, etc. with easy access to outdoor recreation (camping, fishing, hiking, biking) that don't have the need for a larger, hard core off-road vehicle.  The Sport will offer better utility in the city as far as parking with adequate off-road and adverse weather capability.  These would be the same people that loved the 1st gen Escape, but are only mildly satisfied with the 2nd and 3rd gen.  My sister is in this market, she had a 2006 XLT Sport V6 and then really wanted to get a 2011 model, but instead I found her a 2014 Titanium.  She loves how it drives, but is not a real fan of the look and styling.  She really likes the Bronco but probably won't want to wait 2 years to buy, but is ready to look at the Sport as soon as it is on dealer lots.  She just isn't a fan of the leather interior color, would prefer something other than brown.

1 minute ago, Flying68 said:

The core market for the Bronco Sport are people that live in cities like LA, Salt Lake, Denver, etc. with easy access to outdoor recreation (camping, fishing, hiking, biking) that don't have the need for a larger, hard core off-road vehicle. 

True but don’t underestimate the styling appeal to pavement dwellers, especially females under 30.  Around here they love wranglers and small Jeep crossovers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Sport reservations are fractional to those of 2dr  4dr... but how many Escapes were reserved prior to production beginning? CR-Vs? RAV4s?

It's a very important product, especially given the market changes between its design and launch.

Those I know don't have any doubt it will do for them what they need... and neither do I.

None because they didn't take reservations for Escape

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Personally I think this what is going to happen:

The  2/4 Bronco will have a very strong demand the first 2-3 years it is on the market then taper off...I think 75-125K units a year is realistic 

The Bronco Sport might start off slow, but will grow as time goes on. I don't see any reason why it can't hit at least 125K or so units a year regularly. It won't approach the number of Escape sales (200K or so a year), but will be a nice complement to it.

I  don't believe Jeep Wrangler sales have tapered off and it has been on the market for decades. Add in climate change floods, wild fires, terrible roads, falling down bridges, and so on.......there is a huge market for this type of rugged vehicle that will not end for many years as long as people have money and jobs. 

7 hours ago, akirby said:

True but don’t underestimate the styling appeal to pavement dwellers, especially females under 30.  Around here they love wranglers and small Jeep crossovers.

I would argue a lot of those buyers aren't buying jeep crossovers because they're tough or aggressive looking, but because they're "cute". The Renegade for example, I'd compare it more to the Juke or Soul than a Wrangler... though it is more off-road oriented than those cars.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought the escape was supposed to be marketed towards women, not the sport? 

As for the baby jeeps, they start a lot cheaper than the sport. The compass and renegade  both start at 22k. The cherokee, which is larger than the sport starts at 26k. They can all be better equipped than the sport too. Power lift gate, glass roofs, ventilated seats, and memory seats are available on the jeeps but not the sport. A fully loaded compass trail hawk is $36k and comes with all the features I listed above. The compass also has 5k in incentives right now. a fully loaded cherokee comes in at 39k. They can also be optioned with fwd and a manual if you wish. 

The sport does best the compass in power with its 2.0L engine and its off-road system is better, however those advantages are only on the badland trim. I’m sure there are some other advantages like the lift gate glass opening that i am forgetting.

ford needs to either lower its price to be competitive with the competition or keep the price the same and add the additional features. There are options that the much cheaper escape has that aren’t even available on the sport.

I like the design of the sport, but I don’t think that will over come price and lack of features. I foresee incentives in year 2. Not as much as the escape or the compass, but 2-3k isn’t out of the question. 

Edited by T-dubz

For me personally (maybe I’m a use case here),  the Sport Badlands probably fills 99.9% of my off road demands. However, I like the looks and top/ doors off capability of the 4 door better. I also like the V6 option too.  

A Big Bend mid package seems like what I want. A Black Diamond mid package would probably be over kill . Although I really like the idea of a washout interior.

The sport would probably be fine. The 2.0 is a good engine. Loading up a sport though gets you a lower model Bronco 4 door. Decisions, decisions!

13 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Exactly.

But Escape was also an established model.

Ford  has been wanting to pursue sales of “rugged” utilities for a few years now, I’m just surprised that there isn’t a more rugged Explorer sized utility, yeah I know they’re doing an interesting Explorer variant....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:49 PM, MY93SHO said:

I started lurking in late 2001. P71 and OtisFordSucks. Good times

I started in 2000, then somehow I lost my password and had to start a new account and I just added the 68 at the end. I remember the Hemisbc guy (ChryslerChryslerChrysler) and the Jellymold guy who always brought in the Cortina into EVERY thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I started in 2000, then somehow I lost my password and had to start a new account and I just added the 68 at the end. I remember the Hemisbc guy (ChryslerChryslerChrysler) and the Jellymold guy who always brought in the Cortina into EVERY thread.

FordJellymoulds! Can't forget the English spelling. 

On 10/1/2020 at 1:03 AM, jpd80 said:

A link to a report posted earlier  on page 1  suggests that Ford is happy with the level of inquires regarding the Bronco Sport.

Of course they couldn't say otherwise but I'm willing to wait and see how it goes, could be more of a grass roots

model that sees growth once the vehicle is on sale and buyers have a chance to see it.

I wonder how often the Bronco Sport and Escape will be cross-shopped?  

Seems like there is a lot of product overlap there.  

7 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

I wonder how often the Bronco Sport and Escape will be cross-shopped?  

Seems like there is a lot of product overlap there.  

People just looking for a small utility will cross shop, but people who see and want a Bronco Sport are not going to look twice at an Escape unless the Sport costs too much.  From a styling standpoint they couldn’t be more different.

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

People just looking for a small utility will cross shop, but people who see and want a Bronco Sport are not going to look twice at an Escape unless the Sport costs too much.  From a styling standpoint they couldn’t be more different.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Bronco Sport taking Escape sales since the look is so much more distinctive and they are seemingly direct competitors in most ways that matter.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the Bronco Sport taking Escape sales since the look is so much more distinctive and they are seemingly direct competitors in most ways that matter.  

A couple of things. I think the Sport taking Escape sales will be negligible. I think you might lose some with folks were going to buy a small Ford CUV, who only had one option (Escape). I think the two are really differentiated enough to increase the size of the pie that Ford has covered. I think as long as total sales between the two are strong and one doesn't tank , Ford will be more than happy.

Edited by jcartwright99

18 hours ago, T-dubz said:

ford needs to either lower its price to be competitive with the competition or keep the price the same and add the additional features. There are options that the much cheaper escape has that aren’t even available on the sport.

Escape is not much cheaper. Sport starts at $26.6K comes standard with 4X4 and terrain management. The cheapest Escape with AWD starts at $26K

• Like 1

Remember that Bronco Sport and Escape were *designed* to be on the lot together. Escape debuting a bit earlier led to a great deal of kvetching about it being too soft, rounded, car-like, etc. I told you it would make sense. 

A customer visiting the lot to look at an Escape who leaves in a Bronco Sport - or vice versa - is far better than a customer coming to look at one and leaving with nothing. 

Their lineup is finally based on a *portfolio* strategy. 

It. Will. Pay. Off.

Bigly. 

• Like 5