Lug nuts fiasco

Bushwhacker1

The chrome plated lug nuts supplied on a number of new Ford vehicles are an abject failure. Whether they are stripped by service people using the wrong socket on an impact wrench or delaminated by penetration of road salt and water, the result is the same. The chrome plating separates from the underlying steel and the wrench supplied with the vehicle no longer fits. I have had this experience with my 2014 Fusion and had to buy solid nuts to replace the plated. Great fun on the side of the road with a flat tire. Fortunately had it in front of a residence where the lady had a 4-way wrench to loan me. I am purchasing a 2020 F-150 and know I will end up buying 20 nuts to replace the ones on the new vehicle. This has been an ongoing conversation on other forums. I am posting it here in the hope that someone at Ford will read it an will possibly lead to new vehicles being supplied with solid stainless steel nuts.

17 hours ago, Bushwhacker1 said:

The chrome plated lug nuts supplied on a number of new Ford vehicles are an abject failure. Whether they are stripped by service people using the wrong socket on an impact wrench or delaminated by penetration of road salt and water, the result is the same. The chrome plating separates from the underlying steel and the wrench supplied with the vehicle no longer fits. I have had this experience with my 2014 Fusion and had to buy solid nuts to replace the plated. Great fun on the side of the road with a flat tire. Fortunately had it in front of a residence where the lady had a 4-way wrench to loan me. I am purchasing a 2020 F-150 and know I will end up buying 20 nuts to replace the ones on the new vehicle. This has been an ongoing conversation on other forums. I am posting it here in the hope that someone at Ford will read it an will possibly lead to new vehicles being supplied with solid stainless steel nuts.