OAC 1.8B investment. Does this secure Buffalo Stampings future?

mnm

On 9/30/2020 at 4:04 PM, mnm said:

BSP has always seemed linked closely with OAC.  Just wondering if anyone “in the know” has heard anything about if the Canadian deal helps Buffalo’s future. BSP seemed kinda of left out of the last contract, product wise. 

I haven’t heard anything about Buffalo Stamping Plant. I work at OAC and I can only assume that operations should be continued at Buffalo. I was wondering the same thing as the UAW contract said stamping for all new edge. Edge is gone in 2023 so I can only see them maybe refreshing it. I think that may be an issue when the new round of bargaining comes up. You guys stamp most of our bodies so it would be good to know what’s going on at BSP.

Edited by Oacjay98

I believe buffalo should be ok, probably a bargaining tool for ford for next contract in buffalo, point should be made here that Oakville will be shut down for about a year so you should prepare for that.

Oakville will not have space for any stamping, any space they have will be used for building batteries that will go into the vehicles they will be producing.

Will that jeopardize the battery plant that's going to be built in Michigan ?

2 hours ago, Pinkly Taurus said:

I believe buffalo should be ok, probably a bargaining tool for ford for next contract in buffalo, point should be made here that Oakville will be shut down for about a year so you should prepare for that.

Oakville will not have space for any stamping, any space they have will be used for building batteries that will go into the vehicles they will be producing.

Will that jeopardize the battery plant that's going to be built in Michigan ?

What battery plant? 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What battery plant? 

Batteries for all electrics will be assembled on site at the assembly plants. They are too large for transport.

Batteries for all the hybrids are currently being assembles in Ypsilanti, MI, if I recall.

I believe this is the model we will be using well into the future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dayshift said:

Batteries for all electrics will be assembled on site at the assembly plants. They are too large for transport.

Batteries for all the hybrids are currently being assembles in Ypsilanti, MI, if I recall.

I believe this is the model we will be using well into the future.

You mean at Rawsonville? That's been going on for a while now going back to when the Focus Electric came out. 

On 10/1/2020 at 8:15 PM, cal50 said:

Stamping operations should be moved to an assembly plants campus / supplier park.

Its about time Ford got smart and efficient.

The batteries for whatever we end up building in Oakville will be built here and create 300 jobs according to contract. 2023 UAW and Unifor will bargain at the same time so maybe all this BSP and OAC stamping and battery info will be finalized by then. As for stamping up here in Oakville I was told the land around here cannot withstand stamping whatever that means. 

• 2 months later...

The best new rumor is that Ford may start manufacturing the actual battery cells like Tesla and GM do. These are high tech jobs of the future. Same with the DC drive motors for the EV's.

This would account for many more jobs and it would not just be assembly jobs, we would manufacture them from raw materials.

This would be a win for the UAW.

We "NEED" to start insisting Ford manufacture the components for the EV's. We will loose all the Engine and Transmission Plants when Ford goes 100% EV's in the distant future. That means we need to make up those jobs producing EV components or 30% to 40% of the UAW jobs will just go away.

We did not fight this battle when the auto's started outsourcing parts last time and now we are half the size we were with even less bargaining power.