As Farley's tenure begins, Ford focuses on growth, improved execution, faster transformations

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

As for Amazon...the convenience factor of it alone makes it worthwhile.

Yes sir. Also, Ford vehicles with FordPass Connect support Key by Amazon, which is a service in which Amazon will deliver packages to your car or truck. My family uses this for our landscaping business, Amazon puts packages we order right into the cab of our 2019 Ranger. It's super easy and convenient.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Transit, another story -at least when I look at the "Prime" logos I see running around here-unfortunately they are FCA products but I do believe Amazon has bought their share of transits?

Yes sir. 3 companies currently sell "last mile" delivery vans in the U.S. market to Amazon. Ford with Transit, Daimler with Sprinter, and FCA with Ram Promaster. Amazon's van fleet is a fairly even mix of those 3.

Amazon also ordered all electric vans from Rivian, those should begin operation next year. Some of the Ford Transits in Amazon's fleet are also all electric, they were converted by a company called Lighting Systems.

shutterstock_1711975363-2.jpg

amazon-vans-head-to-a-distribution-cente

amazonvan.jpg

rivian-amazon-delivery-van.jpg

fleetowner_29523_030818_lightningelectri

Edited by rperez817

15 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I've heard that it's a bad electrical connection. Seems that way as my backup camera is different everytime I back up. Sometimes the screen is very dark, sometimes garbled, and sometimes perfect. Recall begins November 7 supposedly. I will try to get mine replaced when I take it in for oil change assuming they have the part.

Auto News reports, according to NHTSA documents,  the "cameras have been removed from inventory and replaced with new cameras ... " My dealer told me they have not been notified by Ford about the recall as of Friday! 

9 hours ago, bdegrand said:

Auto News reports, according to NHTSA documents,  the "cameras have been removed from inventory and replaced with new cameras ... " My dealer told me they have not been notified by Ford about the recall as of Friday! 

All dealers were notified Wednesday, 9/30/2020.   We also were not surprised because dealers have been reporting problems across the entire 2020 model lineup for quite some time.   We have been led to believe that it is a problem with the circuit board.  Current part numbers are on backorder & we suspect new part numbers with much lower cost.

INFORMATION
Rearview Camera Media Inquiries

ACTION REQUESTED
Please review the following with all dealer personnel

SUMMARY
U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers –
You may receive customer or media inquiries related to a recently approved Ford Motor Company recall related to rearview cameras.  Due to the complexity in the implementation of this multi-vehicle line rearview camera recall, Ford is planning to begin providing dealers and owners an official notification and instructions on November 7, 2020.

QUESTIONS
Owners may contact Ford Customer Service at 1-866-436-7332.
Edited by WillSD
Format error

21 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

E series..Still around 3000 a month.  And that F-150 number?..All  150's are 2?

But in any case I was addressing the point that it was suggested Farley thinks "commercial is 150  and Transit.  If you take 150 out of your numbers you are talking close to 30,000 a month.  And I think the class 6 and 7 numbers are depressed just because of the 19-21 model year break.  Was Ford holding back on any sales incentives in those classes because of that break?

What I can't find out is how many of those class 6 sales are F600 and how many are F650,

that info is something that Ford keeps to itself.

F150 is class 2A, F250 is class 2B.

Edited by jpd80

On 10/2/2020 at 10:26 AM, akirby said:

So you think Ford is going to buy 700K defective cameras, then turn around and pay the same supplier for 700K brand new ones?

It has happened before !  Clearly, the design/manufacturing procedure was changed.  They COULD change suppliers.

You have no idea how many revisions were done to the old TFI while it was in production !

On 10/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, YT90SC said:

At the time, the minivan market was still substantially led by Mopar. Competitors had never taken a big share from them, and Ford's examples always were lacking.

After Windstar/Freestar were finally killed off The word "minivan" was never even whispered in the halls at Ford !  Even today, the passenger version of the Transit and Transit Connect are NOT called minivans.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 1:25 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

I'm not suggesting Ford should be going after all facets of class 8, but for sure commercial should include class 6,7 and areas within 8. It doesn't take too much to cover uses in class 8 with a lot of components that are suited for 6 and 7.  And increased rail utilization will increase as bridge constraints prohibiting double stack containers get reduced making shorter hauls from the intermodal yards a higher percentage of class 8 traffic- and you don't need a 600 HP double bunk "Hi Rise"  to do that.

Back in the "hay day" of Ford's Class 8 business, I was always told it was all the thousands of combinations of engines, transmissions and axles that brought in the customers, especially the owner/operators.

Don't forget, the reason Ford is in Class 6 and 7 today is because the can use engines and transmissions that were already in production for other vehicle.  This gave those products a larger profit margin.

I still see very few of F650/F750 around Motown !

5 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

After Windstar/Freestar were finally killed off The word "minivan" was never even whispered in the halls at Ford !  Even today, the passenger version of the Transit and Transit Connect are NOT called minivans.

Remember, minivans are a waste of resources and don't make money. Meanwhile, there are THREE Odyssey minivans on my block alone and two Chrysler. Oh wait, now Farley says Ford is AGAIN going to start buiding more affordable vehicles. Oh wait, I thought Fiesta and Focus Hatchbacks were AFFORDABLE to buy and own and offered lots of cargo space. All they needed were a dependable 6 or 8 speed trans. We are basically going around in circles here. 

31 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Remember, minivans are a waste of resources and don't make money. Meanwhile, there are THREE Odyssey minivans on my block alone and two Chrysler. Oh wait, now Farley says Ford is AGAIN going to start buiding more affordable vehicles. Oh wait, I thought Fiesta and Focus Hatchbacks were AFFORDABLE to buy and own and offered lots of cargo space. All they needed were a dependable 6 or 8 speed trans. We are basically going around in circles here. 

You're the only one confused.   It's not worth what it would cost Ford to re-enter the minivan segment with a competitive vehicle.   Just like it's not worth it for the Koreans or Honda to try to enter the full sized truck and commercial van market.  Focus and Fusion were killed to make way for new vehicles not because they couldn't sell them.   And you can bet that the new "affordable vehicles" will be able to generate significantly more product than the old Focus and Fusion.

It's not about individual products - it's about what you do with your current resources and your current market positions.   What makes sense for one automaker probably won't work for others.  That's why I keep reminding you that the replacement for Fusion is Bronco Sport and Maverick, because that's how Ford resources were shifted around.  Same for Focus giving way to Ranger and Bronco.  

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'll be interested to see how Ford defines "affordable",  is that harking back to Mulally's "affordable quality vehicles"?

One has to wonder if Ford is any more ready to compete in the CUV segment than they were the sedan segment. The Explorer launch was horrific in the extreme and the brand new Escape is selling at about 180,000/year when RAV sells over 400,000/year. Kirby is all hot for the Bronco Sport. We will see. Meanwhile, it seems like the Koreans are coming out with all new CUV every month.

I'm tending to agree with auto analysts that Ford's future is body on frame trucks and vans only. That would include Expedition and Bronco. Maybe getting back into the defense business and monetizing its commercial business with digital subscriptions.

Whatever Ford is doing right now is not working if it's not truck related. Ford has been a truck company for a long time and just doesn't know it yet.

24 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I'll be interested to see how Ford defines "affordable",  is that harking back to Mulally's "affordable quality vehicles"?

I assume it just means entry level pricing or just above - probably just under $20K MSRP with a street price starting around $18K.   Or maybe a bit higher.   They're not going to build anything new that doesn't have a decent margin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I assume it just means entry level pricing or just above - probably just under $20K MSRP with a street price starting around $18K.   Or maybe a bit higher.   They're not going to build anything new that doesn't have a decent margin.

And that's what flies in the face of anything starting at around $20k, that's the dilemma I see...

if you think about it, affordability and profitability can live side by side if there's a perception of value,

that leads me to think slightly higher price but with  lots of standard features, does that make sense?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

One has to wonder if Ford is any more ready to compete in the CUV segment than they were the sedan segment. The Explorer launch was horrific in the extreme and the brand new Escape is selling at about 180,000/year when RAV sells over 400,000/year. Kirby is all hot for the Bronco Sport. We will see. Meanwhile, it seems like the Koreans are coming out with all new CUV every month.

Whatever Ford is doing right now is not working if it's not truck related.

Explorer and Aviator are doing very well.   So are Navi and Expy.  Bronco and Bronco Sport should do very very well.   Corsair is doing well.   Escape is still TBD - I think it does need a facelift and price adjustments but it's not a lost cause.   They need to see how it does next to Bronco Sport.   Only Edge and Nautilus are treading water and they're still selling ok but with incentives.  That's intentional though.

As for the Koreans, look at how many vehicles they'll have for sale in the next 2 years compared to Ford.  It's not even close.  Different scale, different priorities.

20 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

One has to wonder if Ford is any more ready to compete in the CUV segment than they were the sedan segment. The Explorer launch was horrific in the extreme and the brand new Escape is selling at about 180,000/year when RAV sells over 400,000/year.

Maybe, maybe not. One the one hand, Ford's CUV nameplates have a better reputation than their former sedans did. On the other, Bloomberg wrote an article a couple years ago titled "Detroit Is Losing More Ground in Crossovers". bzcat created a thread on this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

And that's what flies in the face of anything starting at around $20k, that's the dilemma I see...

if you think about it, affordability and profitability can live side by side if there's a perception of value,

that leads me to think slightly higher price but with  lots of standard features, does that make sense?

Yes, definitely no stripped down S models or fleet specials and they won't be pushing huge volumes either.   Make it attractive with good equipment, price it appropriately and see how many you can sell.  Volume is not the goal.   Now that you mention it, mid $20Ks is probably more realistic.

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yes, definitely no stripped down S models or fleet specials and they won't be pushing huge volumes either.   Make it attractive with good equipment, price it appropriately and see how many you can sell.  Volume is not the goal.   Now that you mention it, mid $20Ks is probably more realistic.

Exactly so and why I don't see the point with a $20k starting price for the Maverick pickup,

it should stand on its own merits as a different type of vehicle for more choice and not to

revisit the last Ranger as just cheap transport.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Exactly so and why I don't see the point with a $20k starting price for the Maverick pickup,

it should stand on its own merits as a different type of vehicle for more choice and not to

revisit the last Ranger as just cheap transport.

If it's not body on frame, good luck. Now maybe Ford can push the Mustang brand with the Mach E and other variations. Also, with Ford being dominant with police vehicles, Explorer should keep gaining traction. Everything else is problematic at best.

Don't know where Lincoln is going either with down to 4 vehicles by end of year and no vehicle selling more than 35,000 vehicles/year. Ford isn't saying anything about future Lincoln vehicles other than maybe Nautilus maybe coming to an end.

Seems to me Cadillac and Lincoln are nothing more than money pits. Mulally wanted to get rid of Lincoln. GM has invested many billions in Cadillac and doesn't have much to show other than Escalade. And Korea does their small CUV's. You have to wonder how long both Ford and GM can try to compete against the Germans and Lexus and keep losing when you have greater needs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Well, in the case of regular Transit, there's nothing mini about it, unless you call it a mini bus.

7 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

If it's not body on frame, good luck. Now maybe Ford can push the Mustang brand with the Mach E and other variations. Also, with Ford being dominant with police vehicles, Explorer should keep gaining traction. Everything else is problematic at best.

Don't know where Lincoln is going either with down to 4 vehicles by end of year and no vehicle selling more than 35,000 vehicles/year. Ford isn't saying anything about future Lincoln vehicles other than maybe Nautilus maybe coming to an end.

Seems to me Cadillac and Lincoln are nothing more than money pits. Mulally wanted to get rid of Lincoln. GM has invested many billions in Cadillac and doesn't have much to show other than Escalade. And Korea does their small CUV's. You have to wonder how long both Ford and GM can try to compete against the Germans and Lexus and keep losing when you have greater needs.

Just remember that BEVs are basically BOF and 

that a lot of vehicles we think make loads of money

actually don’t, they cover development, manufacturing and small profits 

Lincoln is hand and glove with Ford manufacturing plants,

it exists because Bill Ford and the family want it to

but in saying that, shared platforms make much of

the products eminently doable without breaking the bank.

The last two quarters have been promising for Lincoln

it needs a new hybrid Nautilus yesterday, BEVs  are

still too far away

59 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Just remember that BEVs are basically BOF and 

that a lot of vehicles we think make loads of money

actually don’t, they cover development, manufacturing and small profits 

Lincoln is hand and glove with Ford manufacturing plants,

it exists because Bill Ford and the family want it to

but in saying that, shared platforms make much of

the products eminently doable without breaking the bank.

The last two quarters have been promising for Lincoln

it needs a new hybrid Nautilus yesterday, BEVs  are

still too far away

I wonder why Ford is so slow in regards to BEVs when Tesla was able to come out of nowhere and own the space.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of theirs and their business is definitely questionable... but yet here they are doing what they do. Ford has had hybrids since at least the 2008 Escape and now it's 2020 and we're still waiting for the Mach E to release.

I guess to answer that question, it must not have been a priority for them.  Personally I would have put EVs far above AVs, bicycles, and train stations... but i'm not a 6-digit auto executive ?

5 minutes ago, probowler said:

I wonder why Ford is so slow in regards to BEVs when Tesla was able to come out of nowhere and own the space.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of theirs and their business is definitely questionable... but yet here they are doing what they do. Ford has had hybrids since at least the 2008 Escape and now it's 2020 and we're still waiting for the Mach E to release.

I guess to answer that question, it must not have been a priority for them.  Personally I would have put EVs far above AVs, bicycles, and train stations... but i'm not a 6-digit auto executive ?

Hybrids and PHEVs are of far more importance than a BEV today,

why Ford hasn't got hybrids in every model yet is beyond belief

*Experience with electrification and battery tech

*Reach so many more buyers

*Meaning fuel savings for today's customers

*A way to educate more buyers about electrification

* Immediate ROI while amortised by mainstream sales

16 hours ago, akirby said:

It's not about individual products - it's about what you do with your current resources and your current market positions.   What makes sense for one automaker probably won't work for others.  That's why I keep reminding you that the replacement for Fusion is Bronco Sport and Maverick, because that's how Ford resources were shifted around.  Same for Focus giving way to Ranger and Bronco.  

I think what may be confusing to some is that the replacement vehicles are in regard to the plants where they're produced and not the customers looking for a vehicle that will meet their needs and/or budget.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I think what may be confusing to some is that the replacement vehicles are in regard to the plants where they're produced and not the customers looking for a vehicle that will meet their needs and/or budget.

Correct, the vehicles change at the plants but so too do the buyers.

As I see it:

Instead of making and selling +200k Focus, Ford is changing that to +200k of Ranger and Bronco

Instead of 250k of Fusion/MKZ, Ford is switching to 250k of Bronco Sport and Maverick pickup.

Instead of 70k Fiesta, Ford is looking at 40,000 Mustang Mach E.

• Like 1