Expedition STX new for 2021

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/2021-ford-expedition-will-introduce-a-new-stx-package/

The 2021 Ford Expedition STX package adds the following features/equipment:

• Five-Passenger Seating
  • Five-bar chrome grille with Magnetic Secondary Bars
  • STX badge
  • SYNC 3 Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System
    -8-inch LCD Capacitive Touchscreen in Center Stack with Swipe Capability
    -AppLink
    -911 Assist
    -Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility
  • Tri-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
  • 18-inch Magnetic Metallic-Painted Cast-Aluminum wheels (same as the FX4 Off-Road Package)
  • P275/65R18 All-Terrain (A/T) outline white letter tires

the article mentions it’s only available on the regular XL trim, and will only come with seating for 5. I wasn’t aware there was an XL trim on the expedition. Is that also new for 2021? It’s a bit big for my needs but it sounds interesting. The current XLT starts at $52,810. If there is an XL or STX trim, I’d guess that would be somewhere in the mid 40’s. I feel like that opens up the expedition to a much wider market. 

8 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

the article mentions it’s only available on the regular XL trim, and will only come with seating for 5. I wasn’t aware there was an XL trim on the expedition. Is that also new for 2021? It’s a bit big for my needs but it sounds interesting. The current XLT starts at $52,810. If there is an XL or STX trim, I’d guess that would be somewhere in the mid 40’s. I feel like that opens up the expedition to a much wider market. 

Isn't the XL just the designation for the extended wheelbase model?

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The extended wheelbase is called MAX and the short wheelbase is regular. That would be a ton of cargo room if it was the MAX with only 5 seats though.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

XL is below XLT, which makes this an interesting addition, especially if it's 5 seat only?

The previous extended wheelbase model designation you're thinking of was EL.  It's called MAX now.

---

On a similar note, apparently there's going to be a "Special Edition" package for Navigator for '21 - sounds like the monochromatic package but with body colors....

The Special Edition package will be purely available for the top-spec Black Label trim, which Lincoln claims to be 9 out of 10 of their clients. As you would have guessed, the bevy of updates that come with this new package will be purely cosmetic, though images of the Special Edition package aren't available yet for visualization.

Ford Authority reports that the 2021 Lincoln Navigator Special Edition package gives the full-size luxury SUV a body-colored mesh grille and mirror caps, along with a blacked-out roof and roof rails. More importantly, the new package gets a set of 12-spoked 22-inch wheels with an Ebony Black finish and Lincoln Star Hub wheel ornaments.

https://www.motor1.com/news/445709/2021-navigator-special-edition-report/

Edited by rmc523

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

STX is an appearance package for XL models just like F-150.

Sure, but expedition didn’t have an xl trim previously. I think that’s really the bigger news here, the addition of the xl trim. It allows it to undercut the Tahoe in price. I also happen to like the wheels it will get too.136B520C-503C-EF8F-AC01-827AAC01827A.jpg

1 minute ago, T-dubz said:

Sure, but expedition didn’t have an xl trim previously. I think that’s really the bigger news here, the addition of the xl trim. It allows it to undercut the Tahoe in price. I also happen to like the wheels it will get too.

I know.  I was just pointing out it was the same type of package that's been available on the F150 XL trim for a long time.

58 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Sounds like they are finding a way to make the special service vehicle available to more people who just want the cargo room.

I had the special service model and it was a nice ride with lots of room for equipment.  The only thing I didn’t like was the tiny non-touch infotainment screen that really needs to go away altogether in this day and age.  

I actually like the grill on the the new STX. 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Sure, but expedition didn’t have an xl trim previously. I think that’s really the bigger news here, the addition of the xl trim. It allows it to undercut the Tahoe in price. I also happen to like the wheels it will get too.136B520C-503C-EF8F-AC01-827AAC01827A.jpg

I think they did, but it wasn't available to the average buyer (just fleet ones).

28 minutes ago, tbone said:

I had the special service model and it was a nice ride with lots of room for equipment.  The only thing I didn’t like was the tiny non-touch infotainment screen that really needs to go away altogether in this day and age.  

I actually like the grill on the the new STX. 

You've seen one?

• Like 1

On F-150, STX is basically the retail version of XL. A basic truck without looking like a fleet truck. The only notable difference is STX requires 2.7 EB while XL has 3.3 standard. So STX is actually almost the same price as the base XLT with 3.3.

On Expedition, they are new additions to the line up designed to compete with Tahoe LS.

2020 Expedition <==> 2021 Tahoe

$??? XL/STX <==> LS $50k

$53k XLT <==> LT $55k

$59k [XLT "mid" with black accent or in theory a missing Lariat trim] <==> RST $58k

$63k Limited <==> Premier $64k

$73k King Ranch/Platinum  <==> High Country $71k

Edited by bzcat

In our case, we purchased a Navigator and have not used the 3rd row seats, nor do we intend to. We are more concerned with cargo space while traveling (hence we didn’t go with Aviator or Explorer).  I realize we are probably in the minority, but there are customers out there who want a full size SUV and don’t need the extra seats for passengers.  

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

People buying a base model that wasn't previously available to retail buyers?

Take a guess as to what that seat actually adds to the price of the vehicle (If the seat and only the seat was on the "base model"  without having to take the shine and glam options). Divide that by 5 or 7 years of financing. The difference is minuscule.  

Edited by CKNSLS

On 10/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, zgxtreme said:

So there will be a retail XL for this?

I doubt it. That's what STX is for. Retail grade package for XL.

You probably have to have a fleet number to order an Expedition XL without STX. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, CKNSLS said:

How many people look at the Expedition and say-"I wish it only sat Five"................

The point is the lower the starting price to match and undercut Tahoe. 

My guess is most dealers will order the optional 7 seats for their STX inventory.

20 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The point is the lower the starting price to match and undercut Tahoe. 

My guess is most dealers will order the optional 7 seats for their STX inventory.

The 2021 Expedition w/STX #104A is available for Retail Orders Only, Non-MAX, 5-Passenger Only. 7-Passenger seating is not available with the STX.