Ford Q3 2020 Sales Results

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2020/10/02/ford-sales3q-20.pdf

image.thumb.png.a13232e29a9dcc4929d124456109da2c.png

image.thumb.png.2dcf16e48fbd16463aa4c92bcc526c5f.png

We obviously knew most of the car numbers would eventually get to zero, but it's just strange to finally see it happening, depsite Fusion still having 30k units for the quarter.

Escape sales down 10k units, Edge too.

Explorer sales have rebounded nicely.  I'm too lazy to look at pre-redesign numbers to compare.

Nautilus still getting squeezed by the new Corsair below and Aviator above it - we'll have to see if the new interior helps it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

We obviously knew most of the car numbers would eventually get to zero, but it's just strange to finally see it happening, depsite Fusion still having 30k units for the quarter.

Well, we still have the Mustang and GT (for a while), so not zero. I do think Ford is right to cut sedans now as they were all on old platforms. When BEV platforms become more commonplace, I think we will see sedans again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

Well, we still have the Mustang and GT (for a while), so not zero. I do think Ford is right to cut sedans now as they were all on old platforms. When BEV platforms become more commonplace, I think we will see sedans again.

That's why I said "most of", not all. lol

Aviator numbers are quite good. Good product finding new customers.

As much as some of us have low opinion of EcoSport, it has proved to be an able replacement for Fiesta and Focus. I'm guessing even with discounts and importing it from India, Ford is making more money on it than they did when Fiesta and Focus were made right here in North America. Just too bad that Ford doesn't have a replacement ready to capitalize on the momentum. 

Escape and Edge continue to cede market share to competitors. They are in the most competitive segments and it's not a good sign but I'm going to give Ford the benefit of doubt here... the entire portfolio strategy has yet to be fully implemented. Let's see how Bronco and Bronco Sport will do once they join the line up.  

Lack of HEVs and PHEVs and old interior designs are hurting Edge and Nautilus.   New Nautilus interior will help but I don't think it will help Edge.     Definitely a missed opportunity but you can't fix everything at once and the other new products are/should be doing well.

Explorer is killing it.  2017 was the best year for the old model at 238K + 33K PIUs.   Current pace puts it at around 220K combined.  Not bad considering Covid impacts.  Especially the retail sales gains.   There is no way anyone can call it a failure.

You also have to assume it lost at least a few sales to Aviator.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Escape and Edge continue to cede market share to competitors. They are in the most competitive segments and it's not a good sign but I'm going to give Ford the benefit of doubt here... the entire portfolio strategy has yet to be fully implemented. Let's see how Bronco and Bronco Sport will do once they join the line up.  

Bronco Sport will help Ford immensely  in the compact segment although it will eat into Escape sales. Hopefully the next Fusion will make up for some of the declining Edge sales. Some of the increase in Explorer sales is likely at the expense of Edge sales.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Aviator numbers are quite good. Good product finding new customers.

As much as some of us have low opinion of EcoSport, it has proved to be an able replacement for Fiesta and Focus. I'm guessing even with discounts and importing it from India, Ford is making more money on it than they did when Fiesta and Focus were made right here in North America. Just too bad that Ford doesn't have a replacement ready to capitalize on the momentum. 

Yeah, great to see Aviator numbers like that - that's actually Aviator's 2nd best quarter yet - only Q4 last year aided by December sales beat it by 306 units.  Considering the circumstances with covid, that's impressive.

I know I had a buddy trade in his Velar for a Black Label Aviator recently, so it's definitely being noticed by buyers.

12 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Bronco Sport will help Ford immensely  in the compact segment although it will eat into Escape sales. Hopefully the next Fusion will make up for some of the declining Edge sales. Some of the increase in Explorer sales is likely at the expense of Edge sales.

I imagine it will eat some Escape sales, but I think Ford would rather have .75 (Escape) + .75 (Bronco Sport) = 1.5 total vs. 1 of just Escape.

Edited by rmc523

I believe the previous generation Escape sold to a lot of fleet buyers. With Covid, I don't think new Escape fleet sales have been strong at all. So I would imagine Escape sales will remain depressed for a long time compared to last few years of pre Covid Escape sales. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I believe the previous generation Escape sold to a lot of fleet buyers. With Covid, I don't think new Escape fleet sales have been strong at all. So I would imagine Escape sales will remain depressed for a long time compared to last few years of pre Covid Escape sales. 

That's a good point - it'd be interesting to see those numbers.

Escape peak was about 300K from 2016-2018 but that was a lot of cheap SEs and fleet sales.    I think Ford would be very happy witth 200K Escapes and 100K Bronco Sports given the higher ATPs of the Sport and Escape hybrids and PHEVs and more retail sales.

• Like 1

The targeted demographics for both escape and edge has to be over 60...interiors are pathetic and exterior styling is at best "mundane"...eco sport if ford keeps it "fresh" and "youthful sporty" could be a decent seller....bottom line though on ecosport is the msrp....ford cutting into heep sales will be of interest to watch (bronc)...old mans truck company now...if one has no interest in sport related stickers there is not much left on a ford lot

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

There's a lot of competition in compact utilities and at one point

Chevrolet was selling discounted  base Equinox for under $20,000.

Edited by jpd80

Good to see Explorer burying all the negativity and averaging 20,000 sales per month.

Considering the rich model mix and strong Aviator sales, Ford would be pleased with

that level of production and stability.

Did anyone catch F Series +221k sales?

That's more than 73,000 sales per month with only about 8,000 per month  in class 4 to 7.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Escape peak was about 300K from 2016-2018 but that was a lot of cheap SEs and fleet sales.    I think Ford would be very happy witth 200K Escapes and 100K Bronco Sports given the higher ATPs of the Sport and Escape hybrids and PHEVs and more retail sales.

Absolutely, these are different times and Ford is clever to switch gears and go after sales of hybrids

and higher trim customers. Ford is now developing three sales channels- Escape, Corsair and now

Bronco Sport so the customer base is now changing from what it was a few years ago.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

My local dealer has 40 new Escapes - 27 are S or SE models and just 2 are hybrids. Still heavy on the “cheap” models. I wonder why there are so few hybrid models. Maybe battery supply issues?

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Good to see Explorer burying all the negativity and averaging 20,000 sales per month.

Considering the rich model mix and strong Aviator sales, Ford would be pleased with

that level of production and stability.

Did anyone catch F Series +221k sales?

That's more than 73,000 sales per month with only about 8,000 per month  in class 4 to 7.

F-series only goes up to class 5.

12 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

My local dealer has 40 new Escapes - 27 are S or SE models and just 2 are hybrids. Still heavy on the “cheap” models. I wonder why there are so few hybrid models. Maybe battery supply issues?

Looks like Ford thought it could sell lots of Escape S's to fleet, but then the pandemic hit. Mullinax Ford does a huge fleet business and their Escape inventory is full of the S model. I don't see many Escape 2.0 in inventory either. 

3 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

The municipality I work for has 6 Escape SE Hybrids for business vehicles in the past 5 months. 

I would think the SE Hybrid would make a great fleet vehicle with its stellar fuel mileage and decent cargo capacity. Over 600 miles on 14 gallons of gas is a no brainer. 

17 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Looks like Ford thought it could sell lots of Escape S's to fleet, but then the pandemic hit. Mullinax Ford does a huge fleet business and their Escape inventory is full of the S model. I don't see many Escape 2.0 in inventory either. 

Nationwide dealers have about 1,000 S trim  and about 8,600 SEs as part of the entire 17,600 available stock