Ford Q3 2020 Sales Results

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Escape peak was about 300K from 2016-2018 but that was a lot of cheap SEs and fleet sales.    I think Ford would be very happy witth 200K Escapes and 100K Bronco Sports given the higher ATPs of the Sport and Escape hybrids and PHEVs and more retail sales.

Weren’t ford sedan buyers supposed to migrate to the escape with its more car like design? I don’t know if ford really thought that or not, but I know we’ve at least speculated that here. If that were the case, the escape and sport need to do really well to cover both the compact suv and sedan buyers.

Explorer, ranger and Corsair are rocking it. Corsair is up for the quarter and about even YTD. Explorer and ranger are both up big for the quarter and YTD. I’d say that’s pretty impressive. 

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

My local dealer has 40 new Escapes - 27 are S or SE models and just 2 are hybrids. Still heavy on the “cheap” models. I wonder why there are so few hybrid models. Maybe battery supply issues?

The hybrid is in short supply and the PHEV isn’t on sale yet.  Not sure why.

21 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Weren’t ford sedan buyers supposed to migrate to the escape with its more car like design? I don’t know if ford really thought that or not, but I know we’ve at least speculated that here. If that were the case, the escape and sport need to do really well to cover both the compact suv and sedan buyers.

Explorer, ranger and Corsair are rocking it. Corsair is up for the quarter and about even YTD. Explorer and ranger are both up big for the quarter and YTD. I’d say that’s pretty impressive. 

Escape should appeal to former Focus hatchback buyers but not if they were buying Focus strictly on price.

7 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I believe the previous generation Escape sold to a lot of fleet buyers. With Covid, I don't think new Escape fleet sales have been strong at all. So I would imagine Escape sales will remain depressed for a long time compared to last few years of pre Covid Escape sales. 

Good thinking FordBuyer sir, in the past in excess of 30% of all new Escapes were sold to fleets some years. Thankfully, Ford pulled back on the fleet dumping even before the COVID-19 situation caused both private business and government fleet buyers to defer their vehicle acquisitions.

So sales quantity for Escape may be lower now, but sales quality is higher. That's what both Jim Hackett and Jim Farley want for Ford.

22 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Or appearance.  Escape can’t fill the void and nor was it intended to.  If customers want a compact CAR, they are likely looking elsewhere.  

And by the looks of sales, not too many are sticking with cars, Toyota and Honda are seeing fewer sales

• Like 1

Escape is cheap looking and the competition is light years ahead in refinement...escape interior  reeks  extreme cheapness (as hell) compared to yota and honda offerings...thinking car buyers would move up to a ford suv is fallacy (fanciful thought) as opposed to reality....the whole concept of such belief was utter stupidiy from the start

Edited by snooter
None

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Are you sure about the PHEV? I thought I saw them in stock at dealers in MI last I looked. I suppose those could be orders. 

100%.  They aren’t in stock and there is one report that they won’t arrive until January.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Or appearance.  Escape can’t fill the void and nor was it intended to.  If customers want a compact CAR, they are likely looking elsewhere.  

That doesn’t change the business case.  The Focus replacement was Ranger and Bronco.  Fusion replacement is Bronco Sport and Maverick.

17 hours ago, bzcat said:

As much as some of us have low opinion of EcoSport, it has proved to be an able replacement for Fiesta and Focus. I'm guessing even with discounts and importing it from India, Ford is making more money on it than they did when Fiesta and Focus were made right here in North America. Just too bad that Ford doesn't have a replacement ready to capitalize on the momentum. 

The EcoSport is filling the entry level role now that Fiesta and Focus are gone. It may be dated but is actually a pretty well equipped vehicle made more attractive with strong incentives. Those strong incentives available on the EcoSport and the weak incentives on the Escape are another factor. 

After nearly 35 years driving Thunderbirds and then Mustangs as my company car until recently, I'm now leasing a 2020 EcoSport SE 4WD. I wanted the cheapest monthly payment for a 2-year, low mileage (7,500/year) as I don't know how long I'll want or need the vehicle. The Escape payments didn't make sense because of the difference in Ford incentives and to lease the 2020 Mustang I was driving would have cost an additional $150 per month which I wasn't going to pay. In the first month, I've only put 200 miles on the EcoSport. I have no need or desire for a 4-door vehicle and don't particularly like the higher seating position of CUV's but there's not much choice today.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

My local dealer has 40 new Escapes - 27 are S or SE models and just 2 are hybrids. Still heavy on the “cheap” models. I wonder why there are so few hybrid models. Maybe battery supply issues?

The Escape SE Sport Hybrid has been a commodity issue until the past month and very difficult to get scheduled. The hybrid availability was almost all Titanium's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sullynd said:

Are you sure about the PHEV? I thought I saw them in stock at dealers in MI last I looked. I suppose those could be orders. 

Last time I looked about a week ago, there were only about 30 Escape PHEV's in production or scheduled... all destined for delivery to dealers in the Los Angeles area. 

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Escape should appeal to former Focus hatchback buyers but not if they were buying Focus strictly on price.

Makes a lot of sense until you think these are the same buyers who got screwed with that shitty transmission!!! I'm pretty sure the last vehicle they would buy is a Ford.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, akirby said:

10 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Given how the market has changed over the past 5-10 years....the Escape is slotted as the Fusion replacement, not the Focus.

The Ecosport fills the low end of the market that the Focus and Fiesta where in.

The Escape is filling in the Fusion.

Both generally cost more then the car products they are replacing, even with incentives, thus generating more $$$ for Ford.

Even though they are on smaller platforms (B vs C and C vs CD) that is how the market is breaking down now. 

Car buyers (i.e. Fiesta, Focus and Fusion) where bought because they where "cheap", due to several factors. 

Ford now offers a "cheap" CUV in the form of the Ecosport...that is perfectly fine for what it is...an entry level product for people who want a Ford. 

If you want something nicer, you move up to an Escape or Bronco Sport, but expect to pay money for it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Given how the market has changed over the past 5-10 years....the Escape is slotted as the Fusion replacement, not the Focus.

The Ecosport fills the low end of the market that the Focus and Fiesta where in.

The Escape is filling in the Fusion.

Both generally cost more then the car products they are replacing, even with incentives, thus generating more $$$ for Ford.

Even though they are on smaller platforms (B vs C and C vs CD) that is how the market is breaking down now. 

Car buyers (i.e. Fiesta, Focus and Fusion) where bought because they where "cheap", due to several factors. 

Ford now offers a "cheap" CUV in the form of the Ecosport...that is perfectly fine for what it is...an entry level product for people who want a Ford. 

If you want something nicer, you move up to an Escape or Bronco Sport, but expect to pay money for it. 

The escape SE at my local dealer ranges in price from 19k to 26k with most being around 22-23k. SELs are 21k to 27k with most being around $25k. They have an se sport hybrid for 25k which seems like a good deal. These are pretty big drops from msrp, but seem to fall in line with what a fusion buyer might have spent. Ecosports are selling for around 16k. I don’t remember what focus’ were selling for but I’d assume it was around that price, maybe a bit lower. 

One thing I found odd was the lack of titanium’s. They used to stock a ton of the older model titanium’s.

16 hours ago, snooter said:

Escape is cheap looking and the competition is light years ahead in refinement...escape interior  reeks  extreme cheapness (as hell) compared to yota and honda offerings...thinking car buyers would move up to a ford suv is fallacy (fanciful thought) as opposed to reality....the whole concept of such belief was utter stupidiy from the start

The Koreans have some real viable alternatives as well. I predicted an Escape "fail" the moment I saw it. It is lights years behind on exterior styling alone-not even mentioning interior-to just about all other competitors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kyle said:

Makes a lot of sense until you think these are the same buyers who got screwed with that shitty transmission!!! I'm pretty sure the last vehicle they would buy is a Ford.   

Don't underestimate Ford loyalists (sheeple). For us, getting another Ford product is kind of like S&M. It may have hurt previously, but you have to go back for more!

• Haha 1

The one thing I think Ford has ahead of the Escape competition is the EB engine.  Even if you don't like the noise the 1.5EB makes, it is still as powerful, or has way more torque then the competition.  And the 2.0EB I think is way ahead on power.  Too bad Ford is limiting that to Titanium only.