Ford Q3 2020 Sales Results

36 minutes ago, 92merc said:

The one thing I think Ford has ahead of the Escape competition is the EB engine.  Even if you don't like the noise the 1.5EB makes, it is still as powerful, or has way more torque then the competition.  And the 2.0EB I think is way ahead on power.  Too bad Ford is limiting that to Titanium only.

I don't disagree on your comment in regards to the motor. I do however question whether the "average" buyer cares enough about it to sway a purchase decision over a decidedly bland(er) looking vehicle.

3 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I don't disagree on your comment in regards to the motor. I do however question whether the "average" buyer cares enough about it to sway a purchase decision over a decidedly bland(er) looking vehicle.

Could.you new Escape haters on here give it a rest? We got it. So don't buy one and move on. Saying negative things about it over and over week after week is not changing minds. After owning one for six months now, I still love mine even more and objectively rate it better than my Crosstrek.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, 92merc said:

The one thing I think Ford has ahead of the Escape competition is the EB engine.  Even if you don't like the noise the 1.5EB makes, it is still as powerful, or has way more torque then the competition.  And the 2.0EB I think is way ahead on power.  Too bad Ford is limiting that to Titanium only.

1.5 in the escape is 181hp/170 tq. The 2.5 in the rav4 is 203hp/184. The 1.5 in the crv is 190hp/212. it’s close to the other base engines but it’s not better. My concern with the 1.5 in the escape is that I would always be in boost so my gas mileage would suffer. The 2.0 is a nice addition though. It’s a giant power bump. I believe you can also get the 2.0 on the SEL trim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

1.5 in the escape is 181hp/170 tq. The 2.5 in the rav4 is 203hp/184. The 1.5 in the crv is 190hp/212. it’s close to the other base engines but it’s not better. My concern with the 1.5 in the escape is that I would always be in boost so my gas mileage would suffer. The 2.0 is a nice addition though. It’s a giant power bump. I believe you can also get the 2.0 on the SEL trim.

The Corsair's 2.3 EB option would be nice for either an ST of just a Titanium engine option

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The Corsair's 2.3 EB option would be nice for either an ST of just a Titanium engine option

Yeah. 2.0 and 2.3 would have been cool as the engine options for the bronco sport too.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Could.you new Escape haters on here give it a rest? We got it. So don't buy one and move on. Saying negative things about it over and over week after week is not changing minds. After owning one for six months now, I still love mine even more and objectively rate it better than my Crosstrek.

Hey if you are happy that is what matters. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The problem with the CR-V is that it only comes with the 1.5L I4 and the gas only powered RAV4 is in the same boat. Your foot in the boost issue would be the same with the CR-V, since its the same "type" of engine. The 1.5L Escape gets almost identical gas mile (gives up 1MPG I think) but makes no difference when it comes to cost according to the EPA. 

At least you have two gas powered options in the Escape. 

10 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Hey if you are happy that is what matters. 

Yes sir CKNSLS. One reason FordBuyer is very satisfied with his new 2020 Escape is that he got the best version - SE Sport Hybrid. That model is hard to come by though. Both my salesman at Autonation Ford and ice-capades here on this forum confirmed Ford has constraints on Escape SE Sport Hybrid orders, resulting in demand outstripping supply for that particular version.

Hopefully Ford will expand availability of the hybrid and PHEV Escapes for 2021.

15 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

When you factor in price vs what you get, Escape is a competitive product. It also makes the transition to a CUV from a car more acceptable. If one has to fault it, then I'd say they played it too safe in certain areas and made it good when it needed to be great. A strong positive point is how they integrated hybrids into the mix without the hybrid stigma. The Escape actually makes the hybrid a strong positive and desirable in a way the C-max couldn't.

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The problem with the CR-V is that it only comes with the 1.5L I4 and the gas only powered RAV4 is in the same boat. Your foot in the boost issue would be the same with the CR-V, since its the same "type" of engine. The 1.5L Escape gets almost identical gas mile (gives up 1MPG I think) but makes no difference when it comes to cost according to the EPA. 

At least you have two gas powered options in the Escape. 

Both the rav4 (28/35) and crv (28/34) also get better gas mileage out of their 4 cyl then ford (27/33) does with the 3 cyl (according to epa). So what benefit did switching to the 3 cyl actually provide ford? Maybe it’s cheaper for ford to produce?

the choice of power trains is big for the escape. I’m a big fan of the 2.0 and I’ve heard good things about the escape hybrid too.

23 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

the choice of power trains is big for the escape. I’m a big fan of the 2.0 and I’ve heard good things about the escape hybrid too.

Yes sir T-dubz. This can be summed up by saying "if you considering getting a 2020 Ford Escape, stay away from 3-cylinder 1.5L models".

Consumer Reports said in its Ford Escape road test review "We would avoid the standard 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine just because of its bothersome boominess and vibration. Neither the uplevel 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder nor the hybrid has this issue."

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir T-dubz. This can be summed up by saying "if you considering getting a 2020 Ford Escape, stay away from 3-cylinder 1.5L models".

Consumer Reports said in its Ford Escape road test review "We would avoid the standard 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine just because of its bothersome boominess and vibration. Neither the uplevel 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder nor the hybrid has this issue."

I've driven a 3 cylinder Escape and didn't not experience this "Boominess and vibration" they're talking about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Both the rav4 (28/35) and crv (28/34) also get better gas mileage out of their 4 cyl then ford (27/33) does with the 3 cyl (according to epa). So what benefit did switching to the 3 cyl actually provide ford? Maybe it’s cheaper for ford to produce?

They are all rated at 30mpg combined in fwd form. Now the crv and rav4 may be rated higher combined in awd fotm.

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I've driven a 3 cylinder Escape and didn't not experience this "Boominess and vibration" they're talking about.

I've driven the rav4 and the engine and road noise are obtrusive. Toyota has never made it better over the years. In fact, I just read an article on the subject. I don't see how the Escape 3 cylinder can be any worse than what I've experienced with the rav4.

26 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I don't see how the Escape 3 cylinder can be any worse than what I've experienced with the rav4.

Both Escape and RAV4 are quieter and smoother when equipped with hybrid powertrain compared to their respective base gasoline engine (1.5L turbo 3-cylinder for Escape, 2.5L 4-cylinder for RAV4). But the difference is more dramatic with the Escape, in fact, Escape Hybrid is actually quieter than RAV4 Hybrid all around, with less engine, road, and wind noise.

From the same Consumer Reports road test report I quoted earlier in the thread, "Our [2020 Escape] hybrid, in fact, was very quiet with soft road noise and light engine flaring during acceleration. The hybrid is not only more pleasant but quicker as well."

1 minute ago, rperez817 said:

From the same Consumer Reports road test report I quoted earlier in the thread, "Our [2020 Escape] hybrid, in fact, was very quiet with soft road noise and light engine flaring during acceleration. The hybrid is not only more pleasant but quicker as well."

Comeon man. Just because you keep repeating something isn’t going to change peoples minds either way. Just just a parrot of bad news for Ford. 

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Both Escape and RAV4 are quieter and smoother when equipped with hybrid powertrain compared to their respective base gasoline engine (1.5L turbo 3-cylinder for Escape, 2.5L 4-cylinder for RAV4). But the difference is more dramatic with the Escape, in fact, Escape Hybrid is actually quieter than RAV4 Hybrid all around, with less engine, road, and wind noise.

This is probably OK from Consumer Reports because it's a positive comment on a Ford product.......

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

This is probably OK from Consumer Reports because it's a positive comment on a Ford product.......

Not when combined with the criticism of the 1.5 EB, I think they've exaggerated good and bad to make a point.

IMO, both are quiet, I haven't experienced the noise/ vibration they claim with the 1.5 EB.

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Not when combined with the criticism of the 1.5 EB, I think they've exaggerated good and bad to make a point.

IMO, both are quiet, I haven't experienced the noise/ vibration they claim with the 1.5 EB.

Similar to the "cheap" "hard" plastic comments. The plastics in my Escape are spongy, not hard. And the top of the door sills and console are soft touch. Now the diamond looking door cards could be better, and some of the switch gear could look a little better, but doesn't particularly bother me. Only one thing annoys me...the one touch down, but NOT up power window on a $34,000 vehicle. I'll give Ford a pass on lack of auto dimming mirror and fog lights, but not this. Similar priced Rav, Crv, and even lower priced Crosstrek include fog lights, auto dimming mirror, and outside mirror turn signals along with one touch up and down window. I would argue all of these features are for safety, not comfort and should be included on $30,000+ vehicle.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2020 at 8:22 AM, T-dubz said:

3 cylinder is probably cheaper to produce vs. 4 (one less cylinder wall = less metal = lower costs) but not the main reason. Ford's relatively large sales footprint in Europe (compare to Honda or Toyota) probably influenced its powertrain decision a lot more than a simple cost decision. The 3 cylinder engines have lower CO2 output and thus have lower annual tax burden in countries that have carbon tax. It's definitely a selling point in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

3 cylinder is probably cheaper to produce vs. 4 (one less cylinder wall = less metal = lower costs) but not the main reason. Ford's relatively large sales footprint in Europe (compare to Honda or Toyota) probably influenced its powertrain decision a lot more than a simple cost decision. The 3 cylinder engines have lower CO2 output and thus have lower annual tax burden in countries that have carbon tax. It's definitely a selling point in Europe. 

Yeah, I notice that the new Chevy Trailbazer comes with 3cyl engine and dealers can't keep them in stock. 3 cyl. engines are starting to become more common. I wouldn't buy one, but to each their own. Many mechanics complain in general that real small displacement engines with turbos often experience turbo failure at around 70,000 miles.