Windshield issues

edwardsr

When the sun is low, I have a hard time seeing out my windshield.  There are tons of, what looks like, tiny pinholes.  The windshield is smooth on both the inside and outside and is very clean.  It seems that there is some kind of manufacturing defect within the glass.  Anyone have this issue?

36 minutes ago, edwardsr said:

When the sun is low, I have a hard time seeing out my windshield.  There are tons of, what looks like, tiny pinholes.  The windshield is smooth on both the inside and outside and is very clean.  It seems that there is some kind of manufacturing defect within the glass.  Anyone have this issue?

What vehicle? How old? How many miles? Give us something to work with.

42 minutes ago, edwardsr said:

Hi edwardsr. If you feel there is an issue with your windshield, the best course of action is to make a service appointment and let your Lincoln Dealer take a look. I assume you have already done this or plan to shortly, but figured I would mention it.

Bring the vehicle in when you can demonstrate the issue while the sun is low. In this way, you can get them to agree they see it, before you leave the vehicle.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

EDIT - I was going with the assumption it is a new model Aviator, meaning it was very likely still within warranty. Is that the case?

Edited by bbf2530

I'm glad someone else has noticed this.  I have the same exact issue.  Low sun shining thru the windshield and it looks like the windshield has the same tiny pinhole effect as yours.  Its certainly not clear, almost like a haze.  When I first noticed the "haze" I tried to clean the windshield which I thought I did, until the next time the sun had shone through it, did I realize what it was.  Tiny pinholes.

Edited by hotrodlincoln

16 minutes ago, hotrodlincoln said:

I'm glad someone else has noticed this.  I have the same exact issue.  Low sun shining thru the windshield and it looks like the windshield has the same tiny pinhole effect as yours.  Its certainly not clear.

can you duplicate the effect with a flash light? Tiny bubbles in the glass should shine in direct light. 

7 hours ago, hotrodlincoln said:

Flashlight works and shows a small area, where as a low sun shining thru lights up the entire windshield.  Its almost like a haze, similar to it being sandblasted.

You need to get the glass replaced. Lincoln likely got a batch of defective windshields, need to go the the supply and ask for replacement and better quality products. 

The pinholes/specs seem to be fairly common in other brands also:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/windshield-specks.128671/

https://priuschat.com/threads/tiny-windshield-specks-in-bright-sunlight.98979/

Maybe there are micro perforations in the plastic sheet that's laminated between the two layers of glass.  All windshields have it to meet safety standards, plus the accustic winshields in higher end models use a different type of plastic sheets that reduce noise while allowing thinner glass to save weight.

Edited by CoolScoop

Update:

I took it to a buddy of mine that runs a windshield glass shop and at first he thought the windshield had internal imperfections in it as the rest of us.  He would not attempt to replace it though since it would be covered under warranty.  He looked at it closer and he thought it felt and looked like overspray!  He took foamy window cleaner and a new single edge razor blade and lo and behold it cleaned right up!  He grabbed some acetone, window cleaner and a few new single edge razor blades went to work.  My windshield is perfectly clear now.  

My Aviator was not around any paint spray since I brought it home so it must have happened before I purchased.

What a difference.

• Like 2