2021 Honda Ridgeline

T-dubz

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Are those black plastic wheel well covers standard?  Gross.

I think that’s part of the HPD (Honda performance division) trim. I agree, adding 6” of plastic to the wheel arches looks dumb. The wheels are also a part of that package. They are an interesting color choice. The new grill seems to do the job of giving it a tougher look though.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think that’s part of the HPD (Honda performance division) trim. 

Yes sir T-dubz, you are correct. Here is what Honda's press release says about the HPD accessory package. https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/redesigned-2021-honda-ridgeline-unleashes-new-styling-to-match-its-rugged-and-versatile-truck-capabilities

For those looking to take Ridgeline’s dynamic new styling to the next level, a new package created in collaboration with Honda Performance Development (HPD) answers the call. The new HPD Package adds a unique grille treatment, black fender flares, aggressive bronze-colored wheels, and special HPD graphics on the bed walls. Part of a new group of post-production options (PPO), the package will be available on all Ridgeline trims and is one of four new PPO packages that include Utility, Function and Function+ packages.

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Are those black plastic wheel well covers standard?  Gross.

I just spent 5 minutes looking for black wheel covers.  I didn’t see the word “well”.   For the record they’re called fender flares and they don’t look great in this application.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AGR said:

FIFY

It may not fit the definition of a real truck, but for most people , a real truck is overkill and this is more truck than the average person will ever need. Most pickups hardest mission is to pick up a new table from Ikea. 

If one is a contractor, then this isn't for that customer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

True, but for most people, they are paying for overkill.

Yes sir atomcat68. Honda Ridgeline would be a lot more popular if most people buying pickup trucks were completely rational in their decisions. No other pickup truck combines smooth ride quality, secure handling, value, and "trucky" capabilities appropriate for personal use as well as Ridgeline.

But everybody knows that buying a car or truck for personal use isn't anywhere close to being completely rational. There's a lot of emotion including status seeking involved. That's why people, me included, willingly pay for overkill.

Edited by rperez817
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, akirby said:

Ridgeline isn’t intended to go head to head with Ranger or Colorado.  It’s to keep Honda buyers who need a truck in the fold and I think it’s been successful at that.

I have seen one since the last generation redesign.

I have seen many of the prior generation.

It's too expensive.

And whether you agree or not, if people are looking for a small (ie. medium) truck is it not in the best interest of the company to produce a vehicle that is cross shopped?

A Silverado HD has a lower price point than a Ridgeline here. 

All that money spent on a vehicle to make it only for Honda owners?

1 hour ago, Khantinental said:

I have seen one since the last generation redesign.

I have seen many of the prior generation.

It's too expensive.

And whether you agree or not, if people are looking for a small (ie. medium) truck is it not in the best interest of the company to produce a vehicle that is cross shopped?

A Silverado HD has a lower price point than a Ridgeline here. 

All that money spent on a vehicle to make it only for Honda owners?

It’s in the best interest of the company to maximize profit and minimize investment.  Honda doesn’t have any body on frame platforms so it would be incredibly expensive to develop it for one truck.  Much easier to use the Pilot platform.  Honda faithful and others who prefer a more car like ride prefer it so it’s not just for Honda owners.