Welcome lighting not working

IcemanTX

So I need some help here...  We just bought a new 2020 Aviator and the welcome lighting is not working.  If I lock the car and put the keys on the other side of the house then approach the car in the garage 10 min later with the key fob, nothing happens.  I toggled the welcome lighting setting from on to off then back on again to see if that helped, but it did not.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I missing something for how this should work?

9 hours ago, IcemanTX said:

So I need some help here...  We just bought a new 2020 Aviator and the welcome lighting is not working.  If I lock the car and put the keys on the other side of the house then approach the car in the garage 10 min later with the key fob, nothing happens.  I toggled the welcome lighting setting from on to off then back on again to see if that helped, but it did not.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I missing something for how this should work?

Try hitting the unlock button on your intelligent access key (or phone as a key), and then approach the vehicle. Note: the welcome lighting seems to only work once per ignition cycle... from my experience that is.

The welcome lighting does come on when I use the unlock button on the keyfob.  I have not tried with the PAAK, but that is flakey - sometimes works, sometimes not.  What do you mean per ignition cycle?  Does the car need to be off and locked for a certain period of time before it comes on?  For example, the car was locked all night and when I approached it, nothing happened with the Keyfob or PAAK.

Edited by IcemanTX

Hi Iceman. It is always difficult to diagnose things like this over the Internet.

So...several things for you to check. First, take out your Owners Manual and look up "Welcome Lighting" in the Index for the correct pages in your Manual.

Then read the instructions on how to check the settings menu in your Drivers Information Center to be sure you have the Welcome Lighting turned on.

Next...For the under-mirror Lincoln Embrace/Welcome Mat/puddle lamps to work, they must be folded. So if you have the fold setting turned off, they will not illuminate.

Next...Yes, the welcome lighting will disable after a certain number of times the vehicle is approached without being started. It is a battery save feature. Sounds like this is not your issue from your description though.

You can also check out this video for some basic information on the Welcome Lighting/Lincoln Embrace. They are not Aviator specific, but current Lincoln vehicles are all relatively similar:

If none of this helps, here is what I would recommend: If your Lincoln Dealer is not too far a drive, simply go there and have your Salesperson or other staff show you how to check and enable what you think is not working. If they can not, then a service appointment will probably be necessary to double check everything.

But first, I would take out the Owners Manual and read up on how to check your settings, how the Welcome Lighting works etc. May save you a trip.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

For auto-fold mirrors, the Lincoln welcome mat turns on when welcome lighting or lighted entry turns on and the mirrors fold in upon locking or using the switch on the door.

Note:  If you enable auto-fold and then you fold the mirrors in to the door window glass, the welcome mats do not turn on.

The above is from the manual and it is confusing. Maybe you folded your mirrors. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, IcemanTX said:

Mine does the exact same thing, the dealer told me to disable the phone as a key.  I have made 5 trips to the dealer because of this issue and many others, and they are all tied to the phone as a key.  Here is the kicker my friend, they have no way to troubleshoot it unless they keep my phone for a day.  Dealership employees will not pair a personal phone to the car and the dealership has none on had to use for this purpose, I have had it with all of these glitches and just went and got an attorney.  

On 10/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, Wheeling said:

For auto-fold mirrors, the Lincoln welcome mat turns on when welcome lighting or lighted entry turns on and the mirrors fold in upon locking or using the switch on the door.

Note:  If you enable auto-fold and then you fold the mirrors in to the door window glass, the welcome mats do not turn on.

The above is from the manual and it is confusing. Maybe you folded your mirrors. 

If you fold in the mirrors via the door armrest button (to enter a narrow garage for example) the welcome mat will not illuminate. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, IcemanTX said:

If you don’t drive your vehicle enough the computer system will by-pass the welcome lights to preserve battery life.

• 1 year later...

It appears to be an issue with PAAK.  After I set up a second phone the Welcome Lights stopped working as you approached the car.  They did come on when the doors were unlocked with the key fob.  I was going to disconnect the PAAK but the car's display did not show that phone in my personal profile.  So I disconnected it on the phone app and the Welcome Lights seem to be working.  It's possible that I did not properly set up PAAK for that phone.  I could try it again but probably will not bother since I'd rather use the key fob anyway.