Need pre-purchase help - what to look for?

Hi all;
I am looking at a '17 Continental. It has high mileage (180K) but was part of a limo fleet that was regularly serviced.

It has the 3.7L engine (no turbo) and AWD.

They have all records and will let me look before I buy.

Are there any "RED FLAGS" I should be looking for when I inspect the car?
Anything to especially be careful of?

ANY advice?? (really - I appreciate it)

Thank in advance.
Terry

35 minutes ago, TerryInLeesburg said:

Hi all;
I am looking at a '17 Continental. It has high mileage (180K) but was part of a limo fleet that was regularly serviced.

It has the 3.7L engine (no turbo) and AWD.

They have all records and will let me look before I buy.

Are there any "RED FLAGS" I should be looking for when I inspect the car?
Anything to especially be careful of?

ANY advice?? (really - I appreciate it)

Thank in advance.
Terry

Hi Terry. In a case like this, the best advice would be to have a trusted, professional shop/tech/mechanic perform a full inspection on the vehicle.

As far as doing things yourself, the advice would be the same as for any used vehicle, especially high mileage.

- Take a long test drive, or even several. Check for proper engine and transmission performance, ride etc. Check for noises, shakes, shudders, rattles, hesitations etc.
- Check under the vehicle and in the engine bay for leaks and also signs it was recently cleaned (a possible sign of trying to cover-up prior leaks).
- Check the tires for tread life, wear, uneven wear etc. Having to purchase new tires right after buying will essentially add $1,000 to your costs.
- These vehicles are full of driver aids, electronics and computers. Check everything for proper operation. All electrical and electronics. The SYNC infotainment system, etc. etc. Read the Owners Manual and try to familiarize yourself with all the computer and electronics so you can check them for proper operation. You can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/
- Essentially, go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb.

There are plenty of other suggestions, and other members will certainly jump in with more advice.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530