Rivian Amazon EV Delivery Van Shown

rmc523

Long wheel base is long 

Also, the lack of dual rear wheels means this is optimized for Amazon's light duty use. It will be interesting to see if Rivian can sell this van to someone else or if Amazon has some sort of exclusive right to use the van.

The real question... how does this compare to the Transit EV, especially on total life cycle cost.

edit: also, I think this is really what the USPS LLV program should have spec'd. Instead of sticking with ICE, they should have gone electric (on a smaller scale van).

Edited by bzcat

On 10/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, bzcat said:

I think this is really what the USPS LLV program should have spec'd. Instead of sticking with ICE, they should have gone electric (on a smaller scale van).

I think the issue is cost and then upgrades to the posts offices to have them charge overnight. Other issue could be distance factors in say the mid west or Alaska, where impact of battery range would be most felt 

I see FedEx or UPS using electric first, since they are a bit more flexible and can put in areas where they can see improvements with it before rolling it out to areas that it would t work as well in. 

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, tbone said:

Not a fan of that styling, in particular the covered rear wheel.  It looks ridiculous IMO.  I thought we were past  hybrid/electric vehicles looking like clown cars. 

It’s a pretty standard looking van just with a more forward cabin without an engine up there...far from a “clown car” just because it has covered wheel wells.  Only so many ways to design a box.

Edited by rmc523

22 hours ago, bzcat said:

Rivian Amazon van and Brightdrop FedEx vans are both familiar sights now in my neighborhood. I've also seen a few Transit EV as well. 

Haven’t seen a Brightdrop yet. Have been curious if they’d strike a deal with an RV manufacturer.  Would make a cool rv. 

13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It’s a pretty standard looking van just with a more forward cabin without an engine up there...far from a “clown car” just because it has covered wheel wells.  Only so many ways to design a box.

I don’t disagree on design options for boxes, but they can start by not covering the wheels. It didn’t look good on Caddie Coup Devilles and it doesn’t look good now IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, balthisar said:

These aren't the ones being built by TDM (Troy Design & Mfg., a fully-owned Ford subsidiary) in Plymouth, MI?

Rivian has a plant in Normal, Illinois, where they are said to build R1T, R1S, and the Amazon vans.  Formerly Mitsubishi.

https://stories.rivian.com/vehicle-plant-tour-normal-illinois

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2022-10-04/vehicle-production-accelerates-at-rivian-plant-in-normal

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...