Explorer PI Hybrid

Our agency received one. 

Drove it for about a week. It had approximately 8,000 km (5,000 miles). 

Performance is similar to my usual 3.7 Interceptor sedan. The big difference is fuel economy. I averaged 10.4L/100 km during that week vs my Interceptor that usually hovers around 13.9L/100 km. Our older Interceptor utility usually hovers above 16L/100 km. 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think it comes from the factory with any kind of hybrid labeling. I'm sure there's some departments out there that will add it on their own though. 

Ours has no indication it's an hybrid, inside or out. 

Edited by 92LX302

14 hours ago, VIP said:

I wish they would offer the 3.3 V6 option for the general public on the Explorer, at least on the XLT line. Curious why the 2.3 eco boost is not offered on the PI vehicles. Is there a long term heavy duty issue?

Likely to just keep things simple since hybrid is 3.3 only. This way, for departments that operate mixed fleets, they can keep a single sku of consumerable parts for both 3.3 and 3.3 hybrid. 

Also, remember the PIU comes standard with hybrid... 3.3 non-hybrid is a cost reduced option - meaning it is a value option for departments that have low acquisition budget but no operating budget issues. The 2.3 EB probably cost more than 3.3 so it negates the potential savings that Ford is able to offer. 

I’ve heard of Explorer Interceptor Hybrids shipping but issues resulting in them not being delivered (not starting at the delivery yard, batteries that are empty and no way to charge them etc).  

I’ve also heard of fleets still not being allowed by Ford to take delivery of their Explorers due to major issues that Ford will not disclose and agencies having to lemon law Explorers due to issues.  

Has anyone else heard similar?  I thought all the bugs were worked out at Chicago but it seems they’re still struggling.  

From the Chicago Sun-Times:

"After quality issues last year and a two-month shutdown due to the coronavirus, the company reports its local operations are running 24 hours a day to meet demand.

“We’re really proud of the vehicles we are building in Chicago,” Savona said. “The quality by all available measures has been terrific.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/2020/10/13/21514527/ford-motor-chicago-assembly-plant-explorer-suv-production

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:01 AM, FR739 said:

I’ve heard of Explorer Interceptor Hybrids shipping but issues resulting in them not being delivered (not starting at the delivery yard, batteries that are empty and no way to charge them etc).  

I’ve also heard of fleets still not being allowed by Ford to take delivery of their Explorers due to major issues that Ford will not disclose and agencies having to lemon law Explorers due to issues.  

Has anyone else heard similar?  I thought all the bugs were worked out at Chicago but it seems they’re still struggling.  

Isn't the police version built in a separate assembly area? I believe police assembly launch came later offsite from main retail assembly.

8 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Don't know about the hybrid but there are still plenty of issues with these explorers.

That's not what Ford is saying. Article quoted above says all is well and the warden has full control of the prisoners again. Also sounds like all the robots are finally calibrated.

22 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Isn't the police version built in a separate assembly area? I believe police assembly launch came later offsite from main retail assembly.

That’s a good question.  I guess I don’t see why they would need a separate area for a vehicle that’s virtually identical to the civilian one.  But I suppose it could be. 

22 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

That's not what Ford is saying. Article quoted above says all is well and the warden has full control of the prisoners again. Also sounds like all the robots are finally calibrated.

Of course Ford is going to say that.  They never really acknowledged there was ever problems with the Explorer and Aviator.  They characterized the shipment of vehicles to Flat Rock(?) as “not out of the ordinary”.  

Unless by “robots” you mean their public messaging on the subject :)

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/09/13/ford-2020-explorer-lincoln-aviator-delivery/2292795001/

8 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Of course Ford is going to say that.  They never really acknowledged there was ever problems with the Explorer and Aviator.  They characterized the shipment of vehicles to Flat Rock(?) as “not out of the ordinary”.  

Not true.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-explorer-launch-problems-lessons-shareholder-meeting/

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I noticed the part about virtual pilot builds being denounced by Jim Hackett, the whole point of pilot builds

is to find and iron out problems in the actual plant.

Doesn't sound like they will be performing any virtual pilot builds again!

Edited by Harley Lover

47 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Doesn't sound like they will be performing any virtual pilot builds again!

They better not, that was a TERRIBLE idea. You might be able to get away with that building something simpler like furniture but cars are way to complicated for that. They're definitely not doing that now, that I think I can say. 

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They better not, that was a TERRIBLE idea. You might be able to get away with that building something simpler like furniture but cars are way to complicated for that. They're definitely not doing that now, that I think I can say. 

You're safe because Hackett is on record saying no more virtual pilot builds,

it's like why would they do that with so much at stake?