Snow tire package choices?

Just picked up our Navi L and was hoping someone could point me to snow tire rim and tire packages, or prior discussions on this topic.. Concierge was reading the manual, which I did and could not find alternative tire or winter package info. Dealer is looking into it, but their initial thought was I need to stay with the 22” wheels,  due to the electronics. Anyone know if this is true? Also if I could use 2019 F-150 18” take offs? 7.5 X 18.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Panavigator said:

Just picked up our Navi L and was hoping someone could point me to snow tire rim and tire packages, or prior discussions on this topic.. Concierge was reading the manual, which I did and could not find alternative tire or winter package info. Dealer is looking into it, but their initial thought was I need to stay with the 22” wheels,  due to the electronics. Anyone know if this is true? Also if I could use 2019 F-150 18” take offs? 7.5 X 18.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Panavigator. You do not need to use 22" wheels. You simply need to use a properly sized wheel and keep the overall factory wheel/tire diameter (within manufacturing differences, of course).

Therefore, I would highly recommend going to the Tire Rack and using their online Winter Tire Buyers Guide to find what you can use: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/winter_snow/packages.html

You don't need to purchase from them, but it will give you a baseline to find what you need (although their prices and customer service are very good, if you should decide to purchase from them).

And sorry, but I  do not know the answer to your F-150 take-offs question.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

My 2016 runs the same winter package I had on our 2007, chrome 18” F150 wheels, TPMS, and Blizzaks.

I believe they’d bolt onto the 18+ vehicles but I’m not sure the older TPMS is still compatible.

The 20’s on the ‘07 were horrible in the snow and our ‘16 has 22’s. Tall and narrow works best, so we went with 18’s.  Rarely need 4wd, but couldn’t stop or steer on the big, wide toboggans.

Looking at both replies, Tire Rack also suggests 18” and narrower than stock. Concerned about dealer comment about needing to reprogram the 4 wheel drive system to account for the smaller diameter circumference. Have not had this concern with other AWD cars, just make sure the tires are the same, so hopefully the 18” F-150 rims are in my future, and would be very happy with that.  

1 hour ago, Panavigator said:

Looking at both replies, Tire Rack also suggests 18” and narrower than stock. Concerned about dealer comment about needing to reprogram the 4 wheel drive system to account for the smaller diameter circumference. Have not had this concern with other AWD cars, just make sure the tires are the same, so hopefully the 18” F-150 rims are in my future, and would be very happy with that.  

Hi Panavigator. Yes, this is why you use a professional source like The Tire Rack. They will offer wheel size choices with the proper sidewall ratio tire, which will keep a factory acceptable overall wheel/tire diameter.

And also yes as far as tread width. It is conventional wisdom to go slightly narrower than the factory all-season (or summer only) tire width with a snow tire. Especially with the wide factory tires on vehicles nowadays. A wide tire acts like a snowshoe, which is not good for optimum snow traction. You want a narrower tire which will sink into the snow and allow the winter tread to bite.

Let us now how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Panavigator said:

The dealer (service advisor) is confusing wheel diameter with tire diameter.  What others are saying is true, as long as you keep the same tire diameter the same as the factory spec the only other thing to consider is that the wheel fits over the brakes.  I haven't ever heard of needing to reprogram a 4WD system due to tire size, but you would definitely have to have a system flash to account for tires that are bigger or smaller than factory to get the correct speedometer/odometer reading.  Assuming it is the same spec as the Expedition (285/45-R22) you could get a 275/65-R18 for winter with no issues.  The F-150 rims should work, but you would want to test fit them to check for backspacing.  The lug pattern should be the same.

• Like 1

You shouldn't need a flash because the tire diameter for 275/65-R18 is the same as the 285/45-R22. There is no possible way for the computers to know the difference in wheel size. The intelligent 4WD can tell the difference if the tire diameter is not the same on all 4 corners because the wheel speed sensors will not match. You only need a flash if moving to a larger or smaller tire diameter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Panavigator said:

The Service advisor agrees there is no flash required as the tires are basically same diameter. So would the group think 265 or 275 for width? They have never dealt with snow tires before, and it has been awhile for me.

Hi Panivator. Keep in mind it is not just width you need to determine. You also need to determine the correct sidewall ratio to keep the correct overall diameter.

My opinion: Go a size narrower than your factory tire width, with the corresponding taller sidewall ratio to get the correct overall tire diameter.

Or alternately, call/go to The Tire Rack or other expert tire resources and get an expert opinion. Don't depend on information from a Service Department that "...never dealt with snow tires before...", or anonymous Internet mooks like us (myself included).

Get the correct size recommendation so that you have a place to start. Then you can shop around for price if you wish.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 1

There are some online calculators to help you pick tire sizes as well.  But I'd agree with going narrower than stock.  Seems counter intuitive.  But narrow means you are putting the same pounds of vehicle on a smaller patch.  Ends up with better traction on slippery surfaces.  And they tend to float on the snow less.

5 minutes ago, 92merc said:

There are some online calculators to help you pick tire sizes as well.  But I'd agree with going narrower than stock.  Seems counter intuitive.  But narrow means you are putting the same pounds of vehicle on a smaller patch.  Ends up with better traction on slippery surfaces.  And they tend to float on the snow less.

Not a smaller patch but a longer one. Hold your cellphone sideways and think of the contact patch of your summer tires, now turn it lengthways and think of narrower winter tires. Assuming the same weight of auto and the same tire pressure and you will have the same square inches of contact patch regardless of how wide or narrow the tire, it will just be in a different shape. Wide is great for handling but narrow and long is great for forwards traction. 

14 hours ago, Panavigator said:

The Service advisor agrees there is no flash required as the tires are basically same diameter. So would the group think 265 or 275 for width? They have never dealt with snow tires before, and it has been awhile for me.

A 275/65-R18 is an exact replacement for the 285/45-R22.  If you go to an even narrower tire you would be 255/70-R18 which is also an exact tire diameter match.  You would be getting new wheels anyway, so depending on the wheel width, you should be fine with either of those, just make sure you have the proper load rating.