Will this method work to program a new transponder key on a 2012 MKZ?

bighank

Have a 2012 MKZ with only 1 transponder key. Owners manual says you need 2 programmed keys to program additional keys.
Found this method on the internet. Will it work on the 2012 MKZ?

Step 1
Enter your vehicle and put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position. Leave it in for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

Step 2
Before 45 seconds pass, turn the key to the "OFF" position. Then turn it back to the "ON" position. Wait another 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

Step 3
Repeat the above step by turning the key to the "OFF" position within 45 seconds. Then turn it back into the "ON" position.

Turn key to the "OFF" position and then back to "ON." The key is now programmed. Turn it in the ignition to check.

I assume that 2 keys were originally supplied with the car. Manual says a maximum of 4 keys can be programmed to the car.
Does this mean since 2 keys came with the car I can only add 2 more keys to take up the 4 memory slots in the PATS system?

In my experience, you need two programmed keys as the manual states.   Only option with one programmed key is to use a Ford IDS scan tool (or FORScan) to reprogram additional keys.    If you've got 22 minutes and a correct key it's pretty easy to see if the "found on internet" method works.

If you want 4 programmed keys, using Ford IDS scan tool (or FORScan), erase all keys and start fresh.

30 minutes ago, WillSD said:

In my experience, you need two programmed keys as the manual states.   Only option with one programmed key is to use a Ford IDS scan tool (or FORScan) to reprogram additional keys.    If you've got 22 minutes and a correct key it's pretty easy to see if the "found on internet" method works.

If you want 4 programmed keys, using Ford IDS scan tool (or FORScan), erase all keys and start fresh.

H Will. You are correct that two fobs (and the correct Owners Manual fob programming instructions) are needed to self program those two fobs, or a third/fourth. 

However, I just wanted to point out (to avoid confusion for others): A vehicle owner does not need FORSCan or an IDS scan tool to eliminate previously programmed keys. Every programming of fobs into the system erases all previously programmed keys from the system memory and starts fresh.

All the 4 fob limit means is the vehicle owner can only have a maximum of 4 programmed fobs at any one time.

So just as an example...If I was to purchase a used Lincoln/Ford vehicle and the previous owner gave me two fobs, but I am worried he might have a third fob he could use to gain access to my vehicle: All I would need to do is follow the Owners Manual instructions to program my two fobs, and any extra fobs the previous owner has would now be paperweights as far as my vehicle would be concerned.

You can alternately insert "crazy ex-girlfriend/boyfriend" that you gave an extra fob to, etc.. etc. ?

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...

I am mainly concerned about the transponder programming so the key can start the car.  I was under the impression that unless you used a scan tool or forscan you would not delete previously programmed transponder chips.

I have used keys not having the door lock/trunk open/panic buttons and then programmed older keyfobs to gain these functions.

Edited by bighank

4 hours ago, bighank said:

I am mainly concerned about the transponder programming so the key can start the car.  I was under the impression that unless you used a scan tool or forscan you would not delete previously programmed transponder chips.

I have used keys not having the door lock/trunk open/panic buttons and then programmed older keyfobs to gain these functions.

Hi bighank. Yes, I understand what you are concerned about. The easiest way to answer is that your impression is incorrect. Any time you program 2-4 keyfobs, you inactivate previous programming or programmed keyfobs. And any keyfobs that were not programmed at that time will no longer be programmed to the vehicle.

Here is another way to imagine it: Let's say you have three programmed keyfobs. You take two of them and follow the instructions in your Owners Manual to program those two. Once you program those two keyfobs, the third one will no longer work.

But if you then take all three and program them again, say 20 minutes later (or the next day, week, etc), all three will work.

In other words...The limit is not that you can only program 4 keyfobs in the lifetime of the vehicle. The limitation is that you can only program up to 4 keyfobs at one time.

The same goes for non-IKT keys (no fob).

Hope that explanation helps and good luck.