2021 F-150 ditches paper Owners Manual

Smart move by Ford. Hopefully Ford stops printing owners manuals for all of its vehicles by the 2022 model year. Nobody wants those manuals. And Ford saves a lot of money by not printing them.

The digital owners manual will be available directly in 2021 F-150 vehicles themselves via Sync 4. Also, they can be viewed on phones, tablets, and personal computers in PDF and HTML format via https://www.motorcraftservice.com/ownerinformation

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Smart move by Ford. Hopefully Ford stops printing owners manuals for all of its vehicles by the 2022 model year. Nobody wants those manuals. And Ford saves a lot of money by not printing them.

The digital owners manual will be available directly in 2021 F-150 vehicles themselves via Sync 4. Also, they can be viewed on phones, tablets, and personal computers in PDF and HTML format via https://www.motorcraftservice.com/ownerinformation

That's good it's also on your phone because what if you needed to read the manual to get the touchscreen to work...?

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ok.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Um... I do.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vkvnkk09bbo7vobmqk

I had to buy a replacement manual for my Bronco and Escape because I bought them used and they were missing when I bought them.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, probowler said:

I had to buy a replacement manual for my Bronco and Escape because I bought them used and they were missing when I bought them.

The Motorcraft Service site has digital owners manuals for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles going back to 1996 model year, free of charge. Here is the one for 1996 Bronco. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/96broog1e.pdf

I've used the Motorcraft site for some of the used Ford Motor Company vehicles I've owned in the past, it's fantastic.

Edited by rperez817

51 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

As long as it has a search feature, I'm all for it.

Yes sir, the digital owners manual has a search feature that's prominently displayed for the version integrated into the Sync 4 environment as well for the HTML manuals on the Motorcraft site. See example below. The PDF manuals are searchable too using any PDF reader program, and have hyperlinks in the index and TOC. 

Ford did a very nice job designing and formatting these digital manuals, they make printed owners manuals completely unnecessary.

image.thumb.png.2e1beaa6c48dd19c0579487376001ae8.png

Edited by rperez817

I remember Genesis was one of the ones years ago to ditch the paper manuals, gave them an iPad with the manual loaded on.  I think as we evolve peoples attention becomes rather short, ssoooo many times I have a fellow Ford/Lincoln owner ride with me and ask "how did you do that?" because many do not take the time to read. Hell, after a year of owning an Edge ST, my best friend saw me open her tailgate waving my foot.  That was like voodoo magic for her LOL

• Haha 1

Don't mine an electronic manual vs a paper one but i hope they still provide a pamphlet with the basics if the vehicle as no power to access the owners manual through Sync.  I know this sounds crazy, but read the owners manual before you buy since they are on line.  I found this in the 2017 GMC Acadia manual.  Now really think about GM's statement:

California Fuel
Requirements
If the vehicle is certified to meet
California Emissions Standards, it is
designed to operate on fuels that
meet California specifications. See
the underhood emission control
label. If this fuel is not available in
states adopting California Emissions
Standards, the vehicle will operate
satisfactorily on fuels meeting
federal specifications, but emission
control system performance may be
affected. The malfunction indicator
lamp could turn on and the vehicle
may not pass a smog-check test.
See Malfunction Indicator Lamp
(Check Engine Light) 0 132. If this
occurs, return to your authorized
dealer for diagnosis. If it is
determined that the condition is
caused by the type of fuel used,
repairs may not be covered by the
vehicle warranty.

18 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I counter that with all the complaints we get when theres people looking for brochures, only to be told they are all online....

3 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I counter that with all the complaints we get when theres people looking for brochures, only to be told they are all online....

A number of our competitors tell their customers when they ask for a brochure that they are no longer available. Then they come to our showroom and see two whole racks filled with brochures. The $2.00/brochure cost to the dealership is a small price to pay for providing customers with the information they want.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

A number of our competitors tell their customers when they ask for a brochure that they are no longer available. Then they come to our showroom and see two whole racks filled with brochures. The $2.00/brochure cost to the dealership is a small price to pay for providing customers with the information they want.  

a LOT of people have zero interest in sitting at a computer downloading information when  they can literally have something to read....and they can do that basically anywhere and not need a password, wifi or the internet to do so....irony is, that's basically an older customer base...y'know...the ones that usually have good credit, are stable homeowners...and can afford whatever they want....sadly its the way things are going, but Ford, and they are not the only ones, are alienating an extremely important core of people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deanh said:

a LOT of people have zero interest in sitting at a computer downloading information when  they can literally have something to read....and they can do that basically anywhere and not need a password, wifi or the internet to do so....irony is, that's basically an older customer base...y'know...the ones that usually have good credit, are stable homeowners...and can afford whatever they want....sadly its the way things are going, but Ford, and they are not the only ones, are alienating an extremely important core of people.

But as much as I hate to say this...isn't that generation getting too old to drive or shouldn't be driving? 

I'll be 46 this year and my parents are in their early 70s and are somewhat tech savvy. I'd like to assume that younger baby boomers born in the mid 1960s are fairly tech savvy that would in the the 55+ group now. 

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

People just want to collect "free" shit

Some people do want free shit, but others like to look through the brochure to see the actual paint colors and have a handy reference when comparison shopping.  It seems like a small cost to have brochures available to customers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flying68 said:

Some people do want free shit, but others like to look through the brochure to see the actual paint colors and have a handy reference when comparison shopping.  It seems like a small cost to have brochures available to customers.

I haven't seen a brochure in a dealership in like 18 years. I didn't get one with my Mustang I bought in 2006. Last car I got one was my 2002 SVT Focus. 

15 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But as much as I hate to say this...isn't that generation getting too old to drive or shouldn't be driving? 

I'll be 46 this year and my parents are in their early 70s and are somewhat tech savvy. I'd like to assume that younger baby boomers born in the mid 1960s are fairly tech savvy that would in the the 55+ group now. 

absolutely not...theres a LOT of people that do not like being dependent on  their cell Phones and computer...Ill fess, I friggen HATE my f'in cell phone....if there was anyway I could get away  from the intrusive little shit I would...unfortunately its become a huge part and a necessity of business...wonder if that's part of the necessity for instantaneous response attitude we are burdened with today...

47 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'd like to assume that younger baby boomers born in the mid 1960s are fairly tech savvy that would in the the 55+ group now. 

Yes we are!   But I've noticed a lot of folks in their 60s and 70s do not like being online or don't know how to find stuff.   One person asked our neighborhood facebook group how to find something.   I said "is your google broken?" because it literally would have taken 15 seconds to google it.   But I guess a lot of folks just don't do it for some reason.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 5:38 PM, jcartwright99 said:

I mean, it is nice to have in the glove box. If your car has no power though you may be screwed.Better hope you have a cell signal to download if you need it. I wonder what the supplement includes. "Call Roadside assistance @.... )

Or download the manual at your expense and time. Beancounters at work. Wish they had more power when it came to dct Focus trans and other multi billion dollar snafus.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, probowler said:

Considering the state of the industry where you sometimes have to buy your own spare tire, it makes you wonder if some makers will start charging for a physical manual?

Some other automakers like Honda and FCA that have transitioned to digital owners manuals for their vehicles allow the original new car purchaser & owner (with appropriate proof) to request a printed manual at no charge. But subsequent owners will have to purchase the manual from a company like Helm Inc.