What do you guys think of the new Corvette?

probowler

For the longest time, my dream car was the Dodge Viper.... I really wanted that import from Detroit. Unfortunately it was recently retired, and my desires lately have shifted towards the Lamborghini Gallardo.... An older used version can be found for under $100k now.  And while I realize we have our own, actual Supercar in the GT... but that is just too rare and out of my price range!

Que Chevys new Corvette: A Mid-engine roadster that is MUCH more affordable. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the design. It doesn't do it for me like the italian sports cars do. However I have seen some upcoming body kits that completely blow the budget, but do make it look 1000x better. I'd imagine it will be a LOT cheaper and easier to maintain and repair over its life.

c8-corvette-competition-carbon-c8rr-wide

c8-corvette-competition-carbon-c8rr-wide
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/c8-corvette-competition-carbon-c8rr-widebody-kit-has-supercar-vibes-150144.html#

So I'm just curious, what do you think of Chevy's new Corvette? 

I think the Vette is by far the best $60-100k sports car on the market and competes against vehicles 2x-3x's without apologies. Love the looks, performance, value, interior design and how they've transformed this iconic vehicle. 

Not sure if any of you guys follow SpeedPhenom on YouTube? Young guy who picked up a GT500 new last Thanksgiving-and has put out some great videos all year. He picked up a new Vette sometime in the spring and than just bought a new GT500 with the track package?  The Mustang cost $110k and the first thing I heard was the fucking jingle every Ford product has had for at least the past 7-8 years. 

I know the Mustang is getting updated and i'm sure will vastly improve but if you were going to spend $75k would you honestly consider the Mustang?

I like the looks of the new gen a lot better than the previous one.  The last one just didn't do anything for me.

That being said, the odds of me buying a Corvette are nill.  Not that I'm a Chevy hater.  There are just other cars in that price range I'd enjoy more so.  Maybe if I had lottery money, then I'd add one to the stable.

I don't like it.  The design doesn't look right at all to me.

The rear end styling doesn't work, IMO - they forced themselves into keeping a similar look to the outgoing generation, and it doesn't look right on the mid engine model.

There's also something way off about the area between the door and rear wheel, something just looks off.  I'm not questioning the performance value for the money, just the design - there's something off with it.

And that body kit you posted doesn't help things at all, IMO.  Only makes it look more ridiculous.

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't like it.  The design doesn't look right at all to me.

The rear end styling doesn't work, IMO - they forced themselves into keeping a similar look to the outgoing generation, and it doesn't look right on the mid engine model.

There's also something way off about the area between the door and rear wheel, something just looks off.  I'm not questioning the performance value for the money, just the design - there's something off with it.

And that body kit you posted doesn't help things at all, IMO.  Only makes it look more ridiculous.

I agree with this.  There seems to be something of a style disconnect between the front and rear.  I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something just seems off.  

The performance is definitely there, though. 

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't like it.  The design doesn't look right at all to me......

I agree with this.  I saw my first new Corvette just last week.  The design, to me, is awkward.  A lot of angles going nowhere.  Surprised management went with that particular design.

15 hours ago, probowler said:

So I'm just curious, what do you think of Chevy's new Corvette? 

You've been very even minded in your thoughts about the car. One suggestion I would make: you need to see it in person.

My travels carry me to Bowling Green on occasion (in non-pandemic times) and I saw several of them before they were released to the public or even shown publicly. In my eyes, GM did a terrible job of styling the car, particularly the way in which they chose to convey the car's mid engine position with the overwrought rear fenders. God knows they had innumerable Ferrari's that show the right way to do it; they chose an ugly way. Pictures don't capture this as well as in person viewing. It just doesn't look right or good.

I don't question its performance credentials, but my eyes don't lie to me. Those that like it can have it. But in terms of looks, if placed next to a Ferrari, any honest person would be able to determine which one looks really good, and which one is a Chevy.

11 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

You've been very even minded in your thoughts about the car. One suggestion I would make: you need to see it in person.

My travels carry me to Bowling Green on occasion (in non-pandemic times) and I saw several of them before they were released to the public or even shown publicly. In my eyes, GM did a terrible job of styling the car, particularly the way in which they chose to convey the car's mid engine position with the overwrought rear fenders. God knows they had innumerable Ferrari's that show the right way to do it; they chose an ugly way. Pictures don't capture this as well as in person viewing. It just doesn't look right or good.

I don't question its performance credentials, but my eyes don't lie to me. Those that like it can have it. But in terms of looks, if placed next to a Ferrari, any honest person would be able to determine which one looks really good, and which one is a Chevy.

I've seen about 10 of them on the roads now, and I've tried to like it, but they just don't look right - your point about the rear fenders is spot on.

I hated it when I first saw it, but I warmed up to it. Of course the lower than expected price helped that opinion greatly! It doesn't seem like a Corvette to me now that it is a mid engine car. But seeing it as a sports car, it is a great deal.

If you get one, please don't put that body kit on it! That one in the picture needs to be killed with a nuclear bomb!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Being in the far north, I've only seen a couple of them in passing. I would like to see one in person eventually.  I can already say though that from looking at stock pictures, I don't like the exterior or interior design... my interest lies in the cost/performance area. I wasn't sure if it was just me or if others had a problem with the styling direction chevy went with and I see I'm not alone there.

For that reason, I would probably wait for a refresh or the next generation before I even considered it. 

I guess the body kit isn't everyone's cup of tea...  But IDK I like it for some reason!

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It’s a great performance value but I’ve never liked the styling inside or out.

I guess it's also kind of a weird time for a car like this to come out, huh? Mid-engine itself is an oddity... but at the same time you have buyers and the market looking at getting rid of engines all-together!

I'm sure one-day my daily driver will be electric, but until then I  would really love an old school RWD monster like the Viper or something interesting and exotic like a midengine sports car with a Mighty V8 or V10

Edited by probowler

1 hour ago, AGR said:

I'm a Ford guy, and I like Corvettes. There's not a Ford equivalent outside of the sporadically produced, rare and pricey GT. I concur with the opinions on the body kit

44 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I will say the 1963 Sting Ray knocked my eyes out when I first saw it.  Blasphemy, for a kid whose old man worked for Ford.  Even today I marvel how attractive that car is.

I'm a Ford guy too! So I get it... but I also just love cars! It makes life more enjoyable that way, but also frustrating when you wish you could own all of the cars.

• Like 1

I truly believe that the new Corvette is the best sports/fun car you can buy for it’s price point.  Actually it punches FAR above its price point.  

I’ve seen a few on the road and the styling is jaw dropping.  It looks phenomenal and very Italian. The interior is equally impressive.  

GM is bipolar in that they can design some of the worlds best large SUVs time and time again with an amazing focus on attention to detail and they make billions on them.  Or they can come out with designs where you’re just left wondering who actually thought that was a good idea?  

Thankfully the Corvette is in the former versus the latter category.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:05 PM, silvrsvt said:

What is that? I wouldn't be surprised the GT did the same thing 

It is the door noise at 6:40 of the video-this was smartly changed by Lincoln but has been a mainstay in Ford's products for years. This is something that should be programable but I've not seen anyone in the industry do that yet. 

18 minutes ago, kyle said:

It is the door noise at 6:40 of the video-this was smartly changed by Lincoln but has been a mainstay in Ford's products for years. This is something that should be programable but I've not seen anyone in the industry do that yet. 

Wow.  A Ford product with a Ford badge and a Ford jingle.   Oh the horror......

• Haha 1