22-inch wheels? good or bad?

Wheeling

I have the 22's on my Reserve II and I'd have to say that to do it over again I'd go with the 20's instead.  22's look great but the ride is definitely not as smooth even on a perfect road, especially above 50 mph.  On the other hand, I'm in WI and so far they seem okay in the snow despite the low profile so no complaints there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have 24" joe Martin vamps on my 2005 aviator with 305/35/24's on the back & 295/35's on the front & it's perfect couldn't go a co more on the front but the rides better than the factory 17's & looks sharp!

Interesting discussion.  I have a new 2021 Reserve with standard suspension and 20" wheels and it rides much more harshly than my 2005 Lexus RX330 SUV and way more harshly than my 2007 Jaguar Vanden Plas (but that one does have pneumatic suspension).   I think one issue is the tire pressure.  The door sticker recommends 34 psi in the front and 38 in the back.  But here's the kicker, the sticker says maximum weight for passengers and cargo is 1461 pounds.  I guess that’s inside and maybe PLUS tongue  weight of a heavy trailer.   Most of the time around town it’s just me and maybe one passenger so the payload is over 1000 more than I typically have in the car.  I assume Lincoln errors on the side of safety so they have one-size-fits-all tire pressure that assumes maximum payload.   Any thoughts on adjusting tire pressure based on usage at the time?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 22" rims on my 2021 Reserve 2 and wouldn't get them again.

The low profile rims are prone to getting scratched on curbs and are very expensive to replace.

I had to change one of tires due to a flat that couldn't be fixed.

It cost me $460 to replace the tire.

The dealer said the rims are like $1,400 each.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought a 2021 Lincoln Aviator Reserve II with 22" rims in April of 2021. At around the 11,000 mile mark I had a near wheel off incident on the highway in which all of the lug nuts on the passenger side rear came loose, shearing 2 studs in the process. The local out of state dealer replaced the wheel hub assembly and got me back on the road in 2 days.

On the 500 mile drive home I noticed that a vibration was still present so I took it to my local dealer where they discovered that the suspect rim was bent. Lincoln replaced this too but I am still feeling that "washboard" feeling that another person had posted about.

One final trip to the dealer last week and all they did was rotate and rebalance the tires. I had asked them to take it for a drive to see for themselves, and emphasized a highway drive. They only had time to take it on surface streets but declared feeling no issue.

I then took it on a 800 mile trip where I experienced the same issues as before. I will be back to the dealer next week where I am demanding that they take it for a test drive on the highway with me in the car. If it is deemed "Normal" then I will ask to test drive a comparable one off of the new car lot as was suggested in a previous post.

Having said all of that, I love everything else about this car.

• 2 years later...

I just purchased a 2020 reserve with the 22” rims and specifically did not want the “air glide suspension” (I guess that would be the dynamic handling package) as I have concerns about the complication and cost of maintaining such an air bag system out of warranty ( we keep our vehicles till 12-14 years) .  Unfortunately it was not an option to get 20” tires with the 202A package so we went with it. I did order a set of Dedicated snows  on 19” Lincoln alloys. I do find this vehicle rides much much more compliantly on the 19’s as they are 60 series profile tires vs 40’s on the 22’s and the tire pressure on them is a strait 35 psi front and back vs 42-38 psi on the 22’s. There is a trade off in the roll in and body roll with the higher profile size but at age 65 I’m quite happy to make that trade off. I do find the 22’s ride quite harshly when driven over potholes. THIS IS A LICOLN , hello, it is supposed to be the epitome of American luxury! Does this company have an identity crises? I suppose they have fallen victim to the latest vogues of automotive style where all the manufacturers are putting bigger and bigger rims to make their product look cool but at a cost to consumers in terms of ride quality and survivability when hitting large potholes, not to mention the extra 1200$ to replace the 22”s over a set over a set of 20’s . I call that the chip Foose look. I will be buying a set of 20’s when my rubber wears out and selling my 22” rims.  I worry about the ability of those 40 series tires to absorb big pot hole hits without bending or blowing out the tire and the tire pressures are getting ridiculous on those big tires not to mention the cost of replacing that big rubber.