2021 Explorer King Ranch and Timberline

Wonder if King Ranch in Explorer will be similar to F-150 and Expedition... basically same level of equipment as Platinum but with more rugged exterior rather than the monochrome look.

Timberline instead of FX4 makes sense too. It sounds more upscale than FX4 which may help boost the price of the option. Wonder if the trucks will adopt the Timberline name instead of FX4 as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 3:08 PM, 70 Stang said:

Seems the Timberline may be what the FX4 model will be called.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/2021-ford-explorer-to-gain-king-ranch-and-timberline-trim-levels/mcdvoice

Timberline instead of FX4 makes sense too. It sounds more upscale than FX4 which may help boost the price of the option. Wonder if the trucks will adopt the Timberline name instead of FX4 as well.

Every time a new trim level or special appearance package is added it makes the whole ordering, scheduling and production process more complex. The whole process is a nightmare for dealers trying to plan and balance inventory and the whole process becomes more time consuming. And the ever increasing weekly commodity issues make it that much more difficult to get vehicles scheduled and produced.  

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Every time a new trim level or special appearance package is added it makes the whole ordering, scheduling and production process more complex. The whole process is a nightmare for dealers trying to plan and balance inventory and the whole process becomes more time consuming. And the ever increasing weekly commodity issues make it that much more difficult to get vehicles scheduled and produced.  

Exactly, 

As well as customers not being able to find what they want in the color they want. It is one area where Ford always falls back into the old way. They streamline everything, after a few years it falls back to a ton of free standing options with different trim lines. Even the Super Duty/F-150 could use some streaming of options.

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Were these ever shown?

I believe they already have '21 models on the lots.

King Ranch (K7L) will not be available until Job #3, which launches in June 2021. I haven't seen anything from Ford yet regarding Timberline. We'll know more once the 2021 Explorer Order Guide is updated to include the new specifications.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Lol. Good luck finding a Ranger in a color other than grayscale. You almost have to special order one. 

Dealers usually stock what sells best in their market. The top selling colors are Black, White and Grey (not necessarily that order) so that's what they stock. It's easier for the larger dealerships as they have the luxury of being able to stock similar inventory in more colors. It's also why the smaller dealerships often need to buy or swap the inventory they need to satisfy customers that don't want to wait for a retail order. 

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Dealers usually stock what sells best in their market. The top selling colors are Black, White and Grey (not necessarily that order) so that's what they stock. It's easier for the larger dealerships as they have the luxury of being able to stock similar inventory in more colors. It's also why the smaller dealerships often need to buy or swap the inventory they need to satisfy customers that don't want to wait for a retail order. 

Good luck ordering the color you want. I originally ordered sedona orange, and Ford ended that color in mid February, 2020. Then ordered velocity Blue Escape and LAP shut down for 6 weeks. Finally ended up taking Escape on dealer lot that I liked. With so many covid supplier issues, good luck ordering the exact vehicle you want. Covid is going to be with us disrupting economy for long time to come. One lives day by day now with so much uncertainty. 

4 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Those corsairs are nice. I just realized they have the monochromatic packages on it as well now and it looks good in pristine white. 

They're almost as big as Nautilus now.and they have some features not available on the 2021 Nautilus like the Heads Up display which I liked a lot more than I expected.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

They're almost as big as Nautilus now.and they have some features not available on the 2021 Nautilus like the Heads Up display which I liked a lot more than I expected.

Funny story about HUD, I am currently giving “driving lessons” to our 15 year old.  He had no clue that HUD existed in our Navigator and the reaction was priceless.  He’s says “Oh wow Dad, I can see my speed and everything in the windshield!!”   Since we sold the Fusion to a family member, the Navigator becomes the “learners permit” vehicle.  No way I’m teaching him how to drive a manual shift in a 19 year old Mustang :)    

Anyway, I’m really surprised the new Nautilus doesn’t offer HUD, considering the investment on the interior.  I do like the Corsair, strangely enough, I’m contemplating leasing/purchasing one prior to the arrival of my Bronco.  

• Like 1

I was surprised it didn't make the cut given the new interior and sync 4 (which Corsair doesn't have but not a dealbreaker for me).

We were considering a PHEV but given the battery problems and the fact we don't drive that much any more I'll probably do a lease and decide in 3 years what to do long term.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Good luck ordering the color you want. I originally ordered sedona orange, and Ford ended that color in mid February, 2020. Then ordered velocity Blue Escape and LAP shut down for 6 weeks. Finally ended up taking Escape on dealer lot that I liked. With so many covid supplier issues, good luck ordering the exact vehicle you want. Covid is going to be with us disrupting economy for long time to come. One lives day by day now with so much uncertainty. 

Sorry you weren't able to get the color you wanted but Ford gives Dealers plenty of notice when colors or options are going to balance out early. 

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Sorry you weren't able to get the color you wanted but Ford gives Dealers plenty of notice when colors or options are going to balance out early. 

Thanks ice-capades. Any idea why sedona orange was ended during the same model year? I didn't get the notice until after I ordered it. Seemed very sudden.

Luckily, I like the metallic white tricoat I ended up getting. Ford is really doing some nice paint jobs that really pop. 

On 12/10/2020 at 5:54 AM, ice-capades said:

Or are they the best selling colors because that is all you can buy off most dealer lots? 

Colors today are actually very boring (Thankfully the Bronco has some fun ones) Ford tries and the Persian Green is a very interesting color as it changes with the light but even that is now going away for 2021; Colored paints can be pretty expensive as well so I'm sure that plays into what colors are offered.