Vehicle security

Unfortunately it looks like I have some people in my new neighborhood paying a little too much attention to my auto and for the first time I'm feeling a need to add some security system(s) to old yeller.  I think just a basic remote arm system would do, not interested at all in remote start or unlock.  I'm not familiar with modern alarm systems, but here's what I 'think' I need...

- Door switches for all 5 doors (rear hatch).  Probably a PITA to install but that's only an initial idea.

- 'Bump' alarm (not sure what it would be called) for if a window breaks or if something is jarred

- Geo-location function like a low track or something similar

Additionally I'd like to install possibly 2 start kill switches.  I'm not sure where inline these are normally installed but my impression is that directly in line with the key ignition switch would be common.  But then what if someone jumps the starter with a screwdriver...would this type of switch work in that instance?  So that leads me to the idea of a second ignition kill switch which would either be wired between the battery and starter motor, or between the starter motor and ground.

And last...security lugs.

So am I over thinking this here?  What's your recommendation for what I really need and maybe a good but economic alarm system that can get this done?                    

48 minutes ago, bradleyheathhays said:

Unfortunately it looks like I have some people in my new neighborhood paying a little too much attention to my auto and for the first time I'm feeling a need to add some security system(s) to old yeller.  I think just a basic remote arm system would do, not interested at all in remote start or unlock.  I'm not familiar with modern alarm systems, but here's what I 'think' I need...

- Door switches for all 5 doors (rear hatch).  Probably a PITA to install but that's only an initial idea.

- 'Bump' alarm (not sure what it would be called) for if a window breaks or if something is jarred

- Geo-location function like a low track or something similar

Additionally I'd like to install possibly 2 start kill switches.  I'm not sure where inline these are normally installed but my impression is that directly in line with the key ignition switch would be common.  But then what if someone jumps the starter with a screwdriver...would this type of switch work in that instance?  So that leads me to the idea of a second ignition kill switch which would either be wired between the battery and starter motor, or between the starter motor and ground.

And last...security lugs.

So am I over thinking this here?  What's your recommendation for what I really need and maybe a good but economic alarm system that can get this done?                    

Hi bradley. A little more information will help. Vehicle, model year etc?

Flying blind: If it is an older vehicle with no PATS or other system (and you are that worried), a simple alarm system with an ignition kill switch, wired somewhere between the ignition and battery would be a good start. Something hidden under the dash, in a console etc, that you can easily switch on/off yourself each time you get in the vehicle is ideal. If done properly, you would not need two of them. Will two be more secure? Sure. And three or four would be even more "secure". But unless you are driving a classic GT500 or "Eleanor", it can also reach the point of overkill.

If you are that worried, you could also install a battery quick-disconnect. But to use it, you would essentially need to open the hood to disconnect/reconnect each time you drive the car.

Personal opinion? In all honesty, your best course of action would be to Google "Auto alarm installers in my area", then call around for advice, recommendations, price etc. Advice from professionals from multiple sources would be better than advice from non-professional Internet strangers. And since you did ask...yes, it is possible you are over thinking here. ?

Again, simply an opinion.

• 2 months later...