Lincoln May Expand To India

Lincoln Trademark Application Suggests Luxury Brand May Expand To India

"Though there’s a big difference between submitting a trademark application and actually establishing a presence in a new market, the filing does indicate that Ford is considering the move."

"Ford Motor Company’s luxury Lincoln brand is currently sold in North America, China, the Middle East, and South Korea."

"Recently, the brand expanded its production base to China, producing the Lincoln Corsair and Lincoln Aviator locally for the Chinese market."

"Though an expansion to Europe seems unlikely as of this writing, it’s certainly possible at some point in the future."

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/lincoln-trademark-application-suggests-luxury-brand-may-head-to-india/

---

I hope FoMoCo finds a profitable way of introducing Lincoln vehicles to regions where Ford is already present. I believe synergies could be found to make this move possible. Europe (and South America, to a smaller extent) has considerable presence of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, etc, and it is a shame no Lincoln or Cadillac is available.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Black Label said:

They can't get the dealership and ownership experience right in this country, so, yeah, they ought to go ahead and expand to India. ?

Brand new franchises, new franchise agreements, no 60+ yr old Ford dealerships and no state franchise laws.  They can do it right this time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Black Label said:

They can't get the dealership and ownership experience right in this country, so, yeah, they ought to go ahead and expand to India. ?

Lincoln dealerships in China have much higher standard than U.S. Lincoln dealerships in terms of facility appearance and customer service. If Lincoln actually does expand to India, it will probably use the China standard.

cq5dam.web.881.495.jpeg

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Lincoln dealerships in China have much higher standard than U.S. Lincoln dealerships in terms of facility appearance and customer service. If Lincoln actually does expand to India, it will probably use the China standard.

They have similar high standards in the US they just can’t enforce them.

3 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

I don't believe India allows LHD vehicles, so they could always expand into the Land of Oz as well.?

Well if they are serious about Lincoln in India, that RHD project cost can be shared with UK and maybe Australia.

Lincoln is a funny brand, it might work better internationally with the right products and engines/ powertrains.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

They have similar high standards in the US they just can’t enforce them.

The main issue with U.S. Lincoln dealerships is that too many are co-located with Ford stores, and customers get a Ford dealer experience with Ford dealer standards. Actually, even some of the standalone Lincoln dealerships still don't deliver luxury brand standards to their customers. Black Label recounted his experiences on this forum, I think his local Lincoln dealer is standalone.

Ford announced a plan last year to get more standalone Lincoln dealership facilities in the U.S. Hopefully Ford and its dealer franchisees can implement this quickly, and with the high standard Lincoln has in China.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The main issue with U.S. Lincoln dealerships is that too many are co-located with Ford stores, and customers get a Ford dealer experience with Ford dealer standards.

You insinuate that somehow, a "Fig Ford dealer experience" is bad. I take my Lincoln to my local Ford/Lincoln dealer for service and get superior treatment. My girlfriend goes to the big Ford store on the main highway and get great treatment as well.

It varies.  We used to have a small, family run, Lincoln Mercury store in my town. While their building was old, their service was great, and they treated everyone like family. The death of Mercury caused them to sell to the MegalowMart Ford store in town.  I drive 30 minutes away to go to a smaller Ford store with outstanding service. I haven’t experienced MegalowMarts Lincoln service, but if it’s anything like their Ford service it leaves a lot to be desired. 

It varies.  We used to have a small, family run, Lincoln Mercury store in my town. While their building was old, their service was great, and they treated everyone like family. The death of Mercury caused them to sell to the MegalowMart Ford store in town.  I drive 30 minutes away to go to a smaller Ford store with outstanding service. I haven’t experienced MegalowMarts Lincoln service, but if it’s anything like their Ford service it leaves a lot to be desired. 

Didn't mean to start a negative bashing of Lincoln. I guess I should have expected it the way I made my comment. Seems to me, legality aside, Ford/Lincoln could do something about the crap experience overall here. They just probably don't see the need as long as morons like me buy a Lincoln because it is a nice vehicle. However, when I switch to another luxury brand after this Navigator and let them know why with no ambiguity, maybe if enough people give the same feedback, they will figure out how to treat Lincoln customers. Sorry, I have seen the strategy of stand alone Lincoln dealerships, and that is what I want to happen. I don't want to go to Ford dealers with my Lincoln. Sorry if that sounds snobby, but with the "Lincoln Way", that is what they are saying Lincoln owners ought to expect, among other things. 

Anyway, maybe I'll move to India or China lol. 

@rperez817, I am possibly driving down to Fort Worth next week and staying for maybe a week, so I will go to Hooks that you had told me about. I'll see what it's like to go there for a car wash compared to the 2 Lincoln dealers up in my area I have gone to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Seems to me, legality aside, Ford/Lincoln could do something about the crap experience overall here. They just probably don't see the need as long as morons like me buy a Lincoln because it is a nice vehicle. However, when I switch to another luxury brand after this Navigator and let them know why with no ambiguity, maybe if enough people give the same feedback, they will figure out how to treat Lincoln customers.

The only thing they can legally do is limit allocation.   Many years ago Ford tried to institute a program called Blue Oval Certification whereby dealers who met certain criteria including Customer Service scores got a larger holdback on each vehicle.   Dealers immediately sued and won.  It's utterly ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

The only thing they can legally do is limit allocation.   Many years ago Ford tried to institute a program called Blue Oval Certification whereby dealers who met certain criteria including Customer Service scores got a larger holdback on each vehicle.   Dealers immediately sued and won.  It's utterly ridiculous.

That is ridiculous. Now, I'm no lawyer or anything, but it seems places like McDonald's and Chik-Fil-A have strict standards and if those aren't met, poof, bye bye franchisee. Very odd that a car manufacturer can't do the same. 

Like rperez stated, I have railed on the stand alone Lincoln dealer near me. I have softened a bit as the service manager seems top notch and ready to go deep on my software issues. That aside, it is just an ugly building that is extremely dated and half torn up due to "remodeling" that is never being completed. It is mind boggling that Lincoln can't threaten to pull its cars out of there and make this dealer live up to the supposed Lincoln standard. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Black Label said:

That is ridiculous. Now, I'm no lawyer or anything, but it seems places like McDonald's and Chik-Fil-A have strict standards and if those aren't met, poof, bye bye franchisee. Very odd that a car manufacturer can't do the same. 

https://supreme.findlaw.com/legal-commentary/political-power-in-the-auto-industry-why-did-congress-protect-car-dealers.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/14/auto-dealers-and-state-legislatures-conspire-to-make-cars-more-expensive-can-tesla-change-that/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Like rperez stated, I have railed on the stand alone Lincoln dealer near me. I have softened a bit as the service manager seems top notch and ready to go deep on my software issues. That aside, it is just an ugly building that is extremely dated and half torn up due to "remodeling" that is never being completed. It is mind boggling that Lincoln can't threaten to pull its cars out of there and make this dealer live up to the supposed Lincoln standard. 

Not odd at all.  Almost every state enacted state laws specifically for auto franchises dating back 40-50 years or longer.  Check out the links above.  This is why we stand up for Ford when dealers do bad things - Ford is prohibited by actual laws from interfering.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sullynd said:

When Chrysler spun RAM off of Dodge did it mean new dealer agreements?  Not that it’d work for Lincoln. 

I don't know if that would matter or not.   It would be interesting to know if there is something different in the franchise agreements for newer brands (relatively speaking) like Lexus, Acura, Infiniti or if it's all just voluntary on the part of the dealership.

6 minutes ago, sullynd said:

How was Ford able to handle the GT differently than other cars?  (And why couldn’t they do the same for GT500, Raptor, etc)

It might be excluded since it's assembled by Multimatic instead of Ford.  Otherwise not sure.   I know Tesla has gotten exemptions in some states because of the relatively low volume and the fact it wasn't competing directly with what the dealers were currently selling.   I expect that to start changing as the mainstream mfrs start selling BEVs.

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not odd at all.  Almost every state enacted state laws specifically for auto franchises dating back 40-50 years or longer.  Check out the links above.  This is why we stand up for Ford when dealers do bad things - Ford is prohibited by actual laws from interfering.

Yes, after reading those, it is mind boggling that is allowed to happen, but money and politics is everything.