2020 Navigator, which trims have Adaptive Suspension

haulingit

Does the 2020 Lincoln Navigator Standard edition include Adaptive Suspension, or have it as an option?

Shopping 2020 Lincoln Navigator, test drove a Standard edition.

I did not feel any suspension adjustments on the 2020 Lincoln Navigator Standard while driving.

I have test drove a 2021 GMC Yukon Denali and 2020 Cadillac Escalade which both had adaptive suspension and you can feel it make minor suspension adjustments regularly.

The dealer sticker for the Navigator Standard I test drove says it has Adaptive Suspension.

I noticed on the Lincoln website that only Reserve and Black Label have Adaptive Suspension listed, and the build page for Standard does not have Adaptive Suspension as an option either.

Dealership says the Standard edition must have Adaptive Suspension since it is on the sticker.

Stickers on other dealership websites for Standard editions list Adaptive Suspension.

Lincoln /help/contact/ webpage under Social Assist says "Our teams are ready for your questions.", so I asked this question on their Facebook page, and when I went back five minutes later my post was missing.

Thanks.

Edited by haulingit

39 minutes ago, Black Label said:

It uses the forward cameras to detect changes in the upcoming road and adapts the suspension to make the ride as smooth as possible over those changes in the road. 

That’s called road preview and is an added feature above and beyond adaptive suspension which is also called CCD (continuously controlled dampening).

Here is a good video.

Thanks everyone!   I should have just started here by asking the question rather than on the Lincoln site.

The 2020 owners manual says page 333, "If your vehicle has Adaptive suspension" like there is an edition that does not have it.

I suppose they still have not updated the website or owners manual.

I recall the 2020 Cadillac Escalade making minor suspension adjustments as we drove. It would get stiffer and softer as we went over older paved roads and back on to recently paved roads. Supposedly their Escalade series is going to be updated 2021 model, so the 2020s may have had a different scheme than what Ford is using.

The 2021 GMC Yukon was difficult to recognize but there were two spots along the test drive where the stiffness of the suspension seemed to have changed and fast. It could have just been my imagination but something felt different.

Did you not like the normal ride of the nav?  Did the other gms drive better?  I cant imagine the 20 cad driving better, my exp on std springs drove better than my dads 15 escalade. The my20nav with 20in wheels does have adaptive suspension, however, you wont feel the change while driving.  If you want to feel the change, you will need to change the drive modes.  Did you change the drive modes at all?  

Edited by Dlcorbett

We did not change any drive modes in any of the vehicles we test drove.

The Navigator was very nice, however, all the roads we were on were fairly new.

I intend for us to go for a second test drive of the Navigator now that we are at the end of her potential vehicle list.

The 2020 Cadillac Escalade was nice, but my wife does not prefer it for other reasons. She did not like the Cadillac XT6 or the 2021 Escalade, for trivial reasons.

She also liked the 2021 GMC Yukon, but it was a Denali trim and although nice, is still more expensive than the Navigator we test drove. It drove well, but it has been too long since we test drove the Navigator to be able to say which was better on ride quality, but my impression is that the Navigator was better.

Also, she was concerned that parking in a tight space may be too difficult for her with the Yukon; supposedly the Navigator that is the same size has the Enhanced Park Assist (or whatever it is called), which I want her to try.

We should probably hunt down a Yukon that is a base trim level for her to try, though I don't think that will change anything about her concern of parking it.

The new vehicle will be my wife's daily driver, so I am wanting her to get what she wants out without me persuading her.

But she is quick to just get the process over, so I have been keeping her from making a decision until she has evaluated all of the options.

Initially she wanted 4 or 5 seats so we started with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, then the Lincoln Nautilus and Porsche Cayenne, but her coworkers got it in her head she should get 7 seats.

We are going this evening to look at the Lincoln Aviator, the last on the potential vehicle list.

I have narrowed down the options she 'must have', and recently I have been looking into the other features, like the Adaptive Suspension, instead of just reading it on the sticker and keeping it in mind during the test drive.

We are down to four vehicles, two are Lincoln the other two are GM. I think the Lincolns are superior, but more expensive. I am looking into the features so when she compares the vehicles she does not just look at the price and also considers what the features add to value.

Edited by haulingit

Def check the drive modes.  For reference, eco mode will give you a slightly floatier but more absorbent ride, and excite mode will be stiffer and sportier.  This also pertains to the aviator with air springs as well.  According to auto journalists, the 21 escalade rides better than the yukon denali(which supposedly is the worse riding of the new units) but the yukon at4 with air springs is the best riding variant of all their suspension types.

Edited by Dlcorbett

• 1 month later...

I havent driven a lincoln navigator since 2018, and I havent driven a expy since earlier this year, I was able to drive a yukon xl denali today.  It didn't have air springs, but did have 22in wheels and magneride.  From what I remember, it wasnt as planted as my expy, and not as isolating as the nav.  It was comfy, but I guess I was expecting more.  Its impressive, but after seeing the 2022 expy/navi being worked on, its not a clear home run over the current ford trucks in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, Dlcorbett said:

I havent driven a lincoln navigator since 2018, and I havent driven a expy since earlier this year, I was able to drive a yukon xl denali today.  It didn't have air springs, but did have 22in wheels and magneride.  From what I remember, it wasnt as planted as my expy, and not as isolating as the nav.  It was comfy, but I guess I was expecting more.  Its impressive, but after seeing the 2022 expy/navi being worked on, its not a clear home run over the current ford trucks in my opinion.

I did drive a 2020 right after driving the denali, but not on the same roads.  The denali was quieter, and newer feeling(tighter, less jittery), but the nav had a better ride.  I tried out the different modes, and on main roads, eco would not be my choice to use.  Its more absorbent, but it adds more cabin jiggle and back end looseness.  Normal was perfect.  Wife said full stop, the nav was the most comfortable car she's ever been in, but wants to compare it to a fully loaded expy as well.